Is it possible that dragons exist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefatone
of course, everything on the internet you see is true

:yep:

Exactly!
Well.. this thread has utterly failed.
Original post by Infinite Potato
So, i'm unsure about whether it's possible that dragons exist, any thoughts?

If you think that it is possible that dragons exist, then give me your reasons as to why.
If you think not, again, give me your reasons.

EDIT: This is NOT about bloody komodo dragons!!! LOL

can one of these big scary things exist?

I doubt such creatures ever physically existed. Though it is interesting that distinct ancient cultures across the whole world, feature very similar depictions of dragons in their mythologies. Even peoples who have supposedly been isolated from other humans for thousands of years, such the Australian Aboriginals speak of dragon like entities in their folklore.
Reply 43
So, i'm unsure about whether it's possible that dragons exist, any thoughts?

If you think that it is possible that dragons exist, then give me your reasons as to why.
If you think not, again, give me your reasons.

EDIT: This is NOT about bloody komodo dragons!!! LOL

can one of these big scary things exist?

The bible mentions dragons quite a lot in its last book called Revelations but these are metaphors (as I understand it).

Saying that though the bible does also refer to a couple of dragon type creatures in the Old Testament.

In Job 40 we read of a creature not too dissimilar to either a dinosaur or dragon type

“Look at Behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox.16 What strength it has in its loins, what power in the muscles of its belly!17 Its tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.18 Its bones are tubes of bronze, its limbs like rods of iron.19 It ranks first among the works of God

and in Job 41

“Can you pull in Leviathan with a fish hook or tie down its tongue with a rope?2 Can you put a cord through its nose or pierce its jaw with a hook?3 Will it keep begging you for mercy? Will it speak to you with gentle words?4 Will it make an agreement with you for you to take it as your slave for life?5 Can you make a pet of it like a bird or put it on a leash for the young women in your house?6 Will traders barter for it? Will they divide it up among the merchants?7 Can you fill its hide with harpoons or its head with fishing spears?8 If you lay a hand on it, you will remember the struggle and never do it again!Any hope of subduing it is false; the mere sight of it is overpowering.10 No one is fierce enough to rouse it.

What ever these two creatures were they were fearful and massive.
Original post by Racoon
The bible mentions dragons quite a lot in its last book called Revelations but these are metaphors (as I understand it).

Saying that though the bible does also refer to a couple of dragon type creatures in the Old Testament.

In Job 40 we read of a creature not too dissimilar to either a dinosaur or dragon type

“Look at Behemoth, which I made along with you and which feeds on grass like an ox.16 What strength it has in its loins, what power in the muscles of its belly!17 Its tail sways like a cedar; the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.18 Its bones are tubes of bronze, its limbs like rods of iron.19 It ranks first among the works of God

and in Job 41

“Can you pull in Leviathan with a fish hook or tie down its tongue with a rope?2 Can you put a cord through its nose or pierce its jaw with a hook?3 Will it keep begging you for mercy? Will it speak to you with gentle words?4 Will it make an agreement with you for you to take it as your slave for life?5 Can you make a pet of it like a bird or put it on a leash for the young women in your house?6 Will traders barter for it? Will they divide it up among the merchants?7 Can you fill its hide with harpoons or its head with fishing spears?8 If you lay a hand on it, you will remember the struggle and never do it again!Any hope of subduing it is false; the mere sight of it is overpowering.10 No one is fierce enough to rouse it.

Isn't there a reference in Isaiah to a 'fiery flying serpent' aswell? Sounds like a dragon to me :tongue:
Reply 45
Possible. But improbable.
A significant part of my chilhood: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwuhdhYL8UY

"Flight of dragons, sail past reality, leave illusion behind"
Reply 47
Now that's a much more complex issue, as this piece highlights.

http://www.genesispark.com/essays/fiery-serpent/
Reply 48
Original post by Racoon

and in Job 41

Dragons were mentioned even way before the Bible was made in Greek mythologies.
Reply 49
No evidence of dragons, but isn't there a possibility that they can still exist or have existed?

There's also a possibility that a race of humanoid tomatoes ruled the Earth
Original post by RobML
There's also a possibility that a race of humanoid tomatoes ruled the Earth

What reason do you have behind the possibility of there existing 'humanoid tomatoes'?
Reply 51
What reason do you have behind the possibility of there existing 'humanoid tomatoes'?

What reason do you have behind the possibility of there existing dragons?
Reply 52
No I don't, because there's a limit on how big a living organism can be in order to fly. Plus it would require a very LARGE amount of food to produce enough energy.

Though however, creatures that resembles dragons do exists (Draco Volans and Smaug Giganteus).
Original post by RobML
What reason do you have behind the possibility of there existing dragons?

I started this thread looking for a reason to believe that there is a possibility, do you have a reason to believe in the possibility of either dragons or 'humanoid tomatoes'?
Original post by kkboyk
No I don't, because there's a limit on how big a living organism can be in order to fly. Plus it would require a very LARGE amount of food to produce enough energy.

Though however, creatures that resembles dragons do exists (Draco Volans and Smaug Giganteus).

What if in some other possible world we are able to describe the conditions in which dragons are able to live, a large enough food source and so on, would that give us a reason to believe that there is such a possibility?
Reply 55
Dragons live on the Moon, but occasionally fly down to earth and shape shift into prostitutes. They then lure unsuspecting, horny people down dark alleys before returning to their original form and flying back to the moon to spit roast the horny people and eat them with sweet and sour sauce.
Reply 56
What if in some other possible world we are able to describe the conditions in which dragons are able to live, a large enough food source and so on, would that give us a reason to believe that there is such a possibility?

Yes, and also that giant humans and Minotaur exist.... but no unicorns, because that's just sad.
Original post by kkboyk
Yes, and also that giant humans and Minotaur exist.... but no unicorns, because that's just sad.

Not saying that they exist, but that there's a possibility of such things existing if the right conditions are satisfied...
Original post by thefatone
This picture of an electron from google images disagrees

*ahem*

Reply 59
Why is this under philosophy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending