The Student Room Group

Reue's Making Money Blog

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by JackEDeakin
How long do Kindle pieces have to be or can they be in order to make a profit?

Most people recommend a minimum of 8-10k words.
Reply 61
Original post by moggis

You certainly would be hard pressed to do worse than what's currently available.

That's exactly what I've found. The information is either extremely poor value (guides and kindle books) or require £150+ to access (PA/PM).

I think there's a real opportunity for a decently written and priced matched betting guide on Kindle for ~£5.

I've also been coaching people on matched betting for £50 a person. Much cheaper than the signup sites and means people can understand it far quicker/easier and have the safety net of someone checking over all their first bets. My first coaching person I started with 10 days ago and she's now made over £400 :smile:

Original post by moggis
Anyway I'd definitely buy it.Put me down for your first copy and I will even write a review!:smile:

Awesome, thank you! I'll drop you a PM when its uploaded for a free download.
Original post by Reue
That's exactly what I've found. The information is either extremely poor value (guides and kindle books) or require £150+ to access (PA/PM).

I think there's a real opportunity for a decently written and priced matched betting guide on Kindle for ~£5.

I've also been coaching people on matched betting for £50 a person. Much cheaper than the signup sites and means people can understand it far quicker/easier and have the safety net of someone checking over all their first bets. My first coaching person I started with 10 days ago and she's now made over £400 :smile:

Awesome, thank you! I'll drop you a PM when its uploaded for a free download.

I'll pay for it
Reply 63
Original post by hezzlington
I'll pay for it

Awesome! I'll post on here when it's released!

As for other updates:

Matched betting this month continues to be going a bit slowly. Profit expected to be around £700 for the month which is low but mostly due to the shorter month and limited offers with Cheltenham next month.

I had December's Amazon payment yesterday which came to £175. That was for 1 week's work so should be more like £700 for next month.

Matched betting coaching is going really well! So far I've had 3 customers:

1- Been going 3 weeks, profit £400
2- Been going 1 week, profit £100
3- Been going 1 week, profit £30 (by the end of today).
Original post by Reue
Awesome! ).

This is probably dumb but how quickly can you make money matched betting? and do u need money to start off? I have 20p in my bank and need some quick income (for food etc lol)
Original post by Jenx301
This is probably dumb but how quickly can you make money matched betting? and do u need money to start off? I have 20p in my bank and need some quick income (for food etc lol)

you'll need more than 20p to start lol

you probably need about £30-50 to start i'd imagine and the more money you have the quicker you can make more (as you can do more bets at once and lay higher odds which usually give higher returns etc)

but yeah 20p... don't bother
Original post by stirkee
you'll need more than 20p to start lol

you probably need about £30-50 to start i'd imagine and the more money you have the quicker you can make more (as you can do more bets at once and lay higher odds which usually give higher returns etc)

but yeah 20p... don't bother

thanks lol I thought that may be the case
Reply 67
Original post by Jenx301

You need about £200 to get started at more than a snail's pace.
Reply 68
Final totals for February:

Matched betting: £900
Matched betting coaching: £100
Publishing: £175

Total: £1175

Kindle publishing pays 2 months behind. So This month's income was generated in December. I estimate Feb's generated income to be about £800 which will be paid April
Original post by Reue
Final totals for February:

Matched betting: £900
Matched betting coaching: £100
Publishing: £175

Total: £1175

Kindle publishing pays 2 months behind. So This month's income was generated in December. I estimate Feb's generated income to be about £800 which will be paid April

nice man, well done :smile:
Reply 70
Amazon have taken a disliking to some of the formatting in my books and pulled them from sale. Unfortunately 2 of the ones pulled generated 50% of my income so it's taken a massive hit. So annoyed but shows the dangers of being reliant on an external company for your money.
Original post by Reue
They don't take a cut. I've paid them to write content for me, so all they get is that initial payment.

what's this called? like getting someone else to write the content for you whilst you are named as the "author"?? Is it common??
Reply 72
Original post by bluemadhatter
what's this called? like getting someone else to write the content for you whilst you are named as the "author"?? Is it common??

I dont name myself as the author, we use pen names.

It's extremely common and very easy to spot. I'd estimate that as much as 75% of some Amazon categories and filled with books in this way.
Original post by Reue
I dont name myself as the author, we use pen names.

It's extremely common and very easy to spot. I'd estimate that as much as 75% of some Amazon categories and filled with books in this way.

what do you mean by pen names??

how does the process work??

you pay someone to write the content for you and then you publish it and gain the profits of that book. Who does the book say its written by??
Reply 74
what do you mean by pen names??

how does the process work??

you pay someone to write the content for you and then you publish it and gain the profits of that book. Who does the book say its written by??

It says the book is written by Joe Bloggs or whatever you want to call yourself.
Original post by Reue
It says the book is written by Joe Bloggs or whatever you want to call yourself.

Can you say you are the author if you wanted to? Or do you HAVE to use a pen name since it was written by someone else??
Reply 76
Can you say you are the author if you wanted to? Or do you HAVE to use a pen name since it was written by someone else??

I've no idea, not read through the terms in that much detail.

Everyone I know who is a kindle publisher uses a pen name.
Reply 77
It's halfway through the month so thought I'd do a mini update.

Matched betting has been hectic with Cheltenham festival this week and a few huge new account offers. Current profit from that is £1300.

Kindle publishing has been hit hard as Amazon have made a huge change to the way they calculate earnings. As a result my Kindle earnings per month are going to drop from about £1k to more like £200 which is a real shame but I knew this was coming. Still; Kindle earnings are paid 2 months behind so I wont see that hit until the end of May. February's earning report came out yesterday and it showed I made about £1400 from Kindle in Feb which will be paid end of April.

No new matched betting coaching customers but tbh I haven't really had the time for them recently anyway.

Currently easily on track to make over £2000 profit for March :smile:
Original post by Reue
It's halfway through the month so thought I'd do a mini update.

Matched betting has been hectic with Cheltenham festival this week and a few huge new account offers. Current profit from that is £1300.

Kindle publishing has been hit hard as Amazon have made a huge change to the way they calculate earnings. As a result my Kindle earnings per month are going to drop from about £1k to more like £200 which is a real shame but I knew this was coming. Still; Kindle earnings are paid 2 months behind so I wont see that hit until the end of May. February's earning report came out yesterday and it showed I made about £1400 from Kindle in Feb which will be paid end of April.

No new matched betting coaching customers but tbh I haven't really had the time for them recently anyway.

Currently easily on track to make over £2000 profit for March :smile:

How has it changed?
Reply 79
Original post by SophieSmall
How has it changed?

They used to pay out for pages read if you included additional content within your books, such as offering free books within your first book. Now they no longer do.

Quick Reply

Latest