Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF Medical Issues Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I had an RAF medical in October of last year, everything was fine apart from the Doctor said I had a heart rate of 47bpm (I think this is because I am really fit). He said I have to have some tests done. I contacted my GP regarding the tests and they said its going to cost me over £300 and they wouldn't pay for it. Capita also said they would not pay for it. I contacted Cranwell and the guy I spoke to said it was nothing to do with them and I should sort it out with Capita. So will I have to pay for this myself? As its money I don't have. This seems like such a stupid thing to stop the whole process for me and I cant see a way around it at the moment. Could somebody shed some light on this and what I can do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    its not stupid at all. youl get a full medical done, blood tests etc and they will note down EVERYTHING because when you leave the army/raf etc, you have to be in the same physical condition as when you entered, if not, you can be medically discharged if something happens to you that will prevent you from doing your job. if you leave with an injury you sustained whilst in the army you can claim compo, therefore they need to be thorough with everyone for insurance purposes.

ReputationRep:
    example, my bf worked witha soldier and he contracted hiv from afghan whilst serving, as he contracted it during duty, he got a huge pay out, medically discharged and he went back home to his family so he could die somewhere he wanted to be

ReputationRep:
    I said it was stupid because I am very fit and something like this is going to stop me having a career that I want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys95Harbottle)
    I said it was stupid because I am very fit and something like this is going to stop me having a career that I want.
    yes but they have to make sure its not an underlying condition

ReputationRep:
    Did Capita give you a letter to hand to your GP?

My heart rate was 55 and they told me I needed an ECG done at my GP. They gave me a letter to hand over so my doctor could fill it in and they never requested any payment. £300 sounds like a ridiculous amount.

ReputationRep:
    This seems excessive, I would get something in writing from Capita and then liase with the AFCO staff.

Is your heart rate usually below 50 at rest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jturnbull10)
    Did Capita give you a letter to hand to your GP?

My heart rate was 55 and they told me I needed an ECG done at my GP. They gave me a letter to hand over so my doctor could fill it in and they never requested any payment. £300 sounds like a ridiculous amount.
    I'm not sure what to do. I need another treatment also my gp said they can't offer me that and will have to refur me privately and I will have to pay for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaTango)
    This seems excessive, I would get something in writing from Capita and then liase with the AFCO staff.

Is your heart rate usually below 50 at rest?
    That sounds like a good idea, my heart rate is usually around that mark at rest yes.

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take for the medical to get back to you, I guess its on a case by case, but they said they needed my doctor to confirm I was telling the truth or what not. That was..... 8 days ago, im inpatient, but i want this

ReputationRep:
    You didn't actually say what tests they said you'd need - if it's just an ECG then £300 sounds way too much (should be more like £120ish). Phone other surgeries/Nuffield etc to get their prices.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.