Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimen.)
    In the photosynthesis chapter, do I need to cover cyclic phosphorylation and non-cyclic phosphorylation?
    I didn't see it in the spec tho :/ and it's confusing tbh
    I'm not sure if we need to know both but its not really that bad. Cyclic phosphorylation only involves PS1 an NAD doesn't take the electrons away from the electron carriers. Instead the electrons are returned to PS1 by electron carriers in the thylakoid membrane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonPedrodoc)
    I'm not sure if we need to know both but its not really that bad. Cyclic phosphorylation only involves PS1 an NAD doesn't take the electrons away from the electron carriers. Instead the electrons are returned to PS1 by electron carriers in the thylakoid membrane
    Cyclic is kinda okayy but non-cyclic is so messed up! MIND EXPLAINING?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimen.)
    Cyclic is kinda okayy but non-cyclic is so messed up! MIND EXPLAINING?
    No idea what those two are tbh, I'm studying SNAB biology and I dont think its in my course.

Is everyone just doing past papers as revision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeemaG18)
    No idea what those two are tbh, I'm studying SNAB biology and I dont think its in my course.

It is in your course, I do SNAB too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    It is in your course, I do SNAB too
    I do SNAB too, and if that's the case then that's a stab in the back because it isn't in the textbook. Their explanations in respiration aren't very good for me either.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone 100% sure that cyclic and non - cyclic phosphorylation in the updated post 2010 spec? I'm pretty sure I've only seen questions on it in pre-2010 papers and it's not mentioned in the updated spec I've printed out? It's hard to tell what's actually in the spec and what's not because the pre 2010 and post 2010 questions are so similar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yeah I'm pretty much just doing past papers and topic by topic questions. Last year I made loads of notes but that was a bit of a waste of time because lot of stuff is missing from the revision guide and the textbook. This year I've spent a lot more time looking at the markschemes because similar points come up so if you get familiar with what they're looking for I feel like it makes it a lot easier to get marks? And then I make notes on areas that I'm weak on from the textbook and revision guide. Idk what other exam boards are like for bio but I feel like for snab you kinda have to learn the mark scheme which sucks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rory58824)
    I do SNAB too, and if that's the case then that's a stab in the back because it isn't in the textbook. Their explanations in respiration aren't very good for me either.
    Whether SNAB or not the spec is the same as its the same paper, and the other textbook goes into cyclic and non cyclic, plus I've been taught it in detail. The SNAB book misses a lot out, so I use both together

Thus I assumed we need to know both

ReputationRep:
    See im not sure and at this point I dont particularly want to be learning things that have no chance of coming up, and if SNAB seriously doesnt put anything about it in the textbook or the spec then surely we cant be tested on it?

ReputationRep:
    See im not sure and at this point I dont particularly want to be learning things that have no chance of coming up, and if SNAB seriously doesnt put anything about it in the textbook or the spec then surely we cant be tested on it?
    It's in the other book and we do the same paper

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably read through it and then just hit past papers but I havent seen it in a paper yet.. Thanks for letting me know though

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone preparing for the Article questions in unit 5. I've just read through the article and some AS topics related to it but I feel like its not enough.

ReputationRep:
    Ive done a few but Im still writing a few notes on the end of topic 5 and topic 6.

does anyone understand what this spec point wants?

22 Describe the role of the scientific community in validating newevidence (including molecular biology, eg DNA, proteomics)supporting the accepted scientific theory of evolution(scientific journals, the peer review process, scientificconferences).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DonPedrodoc)
    How is everyone preparing for the Article questions in unit 5. I've just read through the article and some AS topics related to it but I feel like its not enough.
    My teacher gave us a few questions that she thought the article could ask and we answered them and she gave a few more for the mock. But thats all that Ive done so far.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise there was another textbook I've just been using the revision guide to fill in the topics that the snab one misses out! My teachers keep on saying how crap our textbook is and havent mentioned there's another one.. Does it look like the snab one but it's green instead of orange? I think I saw it last year but I just assumed it was for the new spec starting this year. We've still got three weeks so I might get it on amazon because it's only £2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know the Edexcel textbook is black and green but it doesn't look the same as the SNAB one I guess using that would help go over the topics that SNAB doesn't explain. What I don't understand is why make two textbooks and say they're different (SNAB and Edexcel) and then give the same exam??

ReputationRep:
    My teacher gave us a few questions that she thought the article could ask and we answered them and she gave a few more for the mock. But thats all that Ive done so far.
    could you by any chance share the questions for use private students 😳🤓

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know the Edexcel textbook is black and green but it doesn't look the same as the SNAB one I guess using that would help go over the topics that SNAB doesn't explain. What I don't understand is why make two textbooks and say they're different (SNAB and Edexcel) and then give the same exam??
    They're not different, they're just used to teach the content diffently, either context or concept led

ReputationRep:
    Surely if it's not on the specification they can't ask you about it though? Otherwise they could ask us anything??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyous)
    Surely if it's not on the specification they can't ask you about it though? Otherwise they could ask us anything??
    Photosynthesis is on the spec, divided into light dependent and light independent

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.