The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cakey_101
Ah okay now that make sense! Thank you!!

Also do you know what the actual difference is between genetic engineering and synthetic biology?
Is it that genetic engineering consists of genetically modifying an already existing cell by changing its DNA and synthetic biology is producing new biological parts in cells that don't already exist?

No problem! I'm not really sure but someone's explained below. I did the 2015 mock with the deep brain stimulation article and the questions weren't as bad as I thought they would be so I'm hoping they'll be manageable this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else resitting unit 1 tomorrow?
As both units 4 and 5 are synoptic, should I studying stuff like cystic fibrosis? Or is it just the concepts of the AS course such as protein structures for example?
Can anyone help me I'm trying to find the thread for SNAB AS biology old spec thread ( 8BI10)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rory58824
As both units 4 and 5 are synoptic, should I studying stuff like cystic fibrosis? Or is it just the concepts of the AS course such as protein structures for example?

I'm stuck on this too, I assume that they'll only ask us about stuff that in some way relates to a topic from A2 because they'll ask about an AS topic as one of the parts of the question? So I feel like you're right about just revising concepts and not really specific stuff like CF. I think I'm gonna look through the past papers and circle the synoptic questions to get more of an idea of what they might ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LThomas694
I'm stuck on this too, I assume that they'll only ask us about stuff that in some way relates to a topic from A2 because they'll ask about an AS topic as one of the parts of the question? So I feel like you're right about just revising concepts and not really specific stuff like CF. I think I'm gonna look through the past papers and circle the synoptic questions to get more of an idea of what they might ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah this is correct
Does anyone know if we need to know about Hardy Weinburg calculations. I learnt them in class but haven't seen them in any textbook, on the specification or on any past papers.
Original post by DonPedrodoc
Does anyone know if we need to know about Hardy Weinburg calculations. I learnt them in class but haven't seen them in any textbook, on the specification or on any past papers.

Never heard of them so no
Hey guys I did the 2015 paper and a question from the pre release part has got me stuck. Its about Genetically Modifying to provoke an immune response. In the mark scheme a few of the points are that sticky ends are formed and ligase is used to bind gene but I have never seen this in a textbook :frown: Can someone please explain it to me
Can anyone provide me with a model answer for "How new genes can arise" ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A couple of questions on the article:

- Is the toggle switch (paragraph 25) related to the transcription initiation complex, which triggers protein transcription at the promoter region?
- Why can't synthetically altered organisms compete economically with regular petroleum products? Is it due to costs in producing the altered organisms?
Original post by Stephanie_O
Hey guys I did the 2015 paper and a question from the pre release part has got me stuck. Its about Genetically Modifying to provoke an immune response. In the mark scheme a few of the points are that sticky ends are formed and ligase is used to bind gene but I have never seen this in a textbook :frown: Can someone please explain it to me

I think sticky ends is the description of what's left after the restriction endonucleases cut the DNA - one of the strands is left longer than the other (so there are some unpaired bases). The same restriction endonuclease cuts the plasmid (or other genetic material that is being used) so that you end up with another set of sticky ends which match the first sticky ends (complementary base pairing). Ligase then joins the DNA backbone. *I think*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 312
Original post by Moleyeyes
I think sticky ends is the description of what's left after the restriction endonucleases cut the DNA - one of the strands is left longer than the other (so there are some unpaired bases). The same restriction endonuclease cuts the plasmid (or other genetic material that is being used) so that you end up with another set of sticky ends which match the first sticky ends (complementary base pairing). Ligase then joins the DNA backbone. *I think*

what book is this, because it came up on other exam too however this amount fo fetail they want isnt in any book?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just did the January 2011 Unit 4 paper and Question 4(a)(ii) was Describe how the organisms that cause TB are taken up by macrophages. One of the points on the markscheme was "reference to formation of vacuole". This confused me as my teacher said to call it a vesicle not a vacuole. The SNAB book also calls it a vacuole.
Also, when a question asks to "State one reason..." what happens if you state more than one reason? Does the examiner just look at the first answer you put down, or do you lose all marks for not giving just a single answer?
Original post by etherealinsanity
I just did the January 2011 Unit 4 paper and Question 4(a)(ii) was Describe how the organisms that cause TB are taken up by macrophages. One of the points on the markscheme was "reference to formation of vacuole". This confused me as my teacher said to call it a vesicle not a vacuole. The SNAB book also calls it a vacuole.

The pathogen is contained in a phagocytic vacuole, your teacher is wrong I'm afraid.
Original post by Romanoff
The pathogen is contained in a phagocytic vacuole, your teacher is wrong I'm afraid.

Okay. Thank you for clearing it up! I asked her about it whilst we were doing the unit and again when I did this paper, but she said it was wrong. It's a good thing I've learnt otherwise before the exam, I suppose.
Original post by ranz
what book is this, because it came up on other exam too however this amount fo fetail they want isnt in any book?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not in my book either but I remember looking it up on line after I saw that past paper question ....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_and_blunt_ends
Makes sense and provides a way to remember the key words they are looking for - based on mark scheme :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
JUNE 2016 FACTORY OF LIFE SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE EDEXCEL QUESTION 7 QUESTIONS, ANSWERS AND VIUAL AIDS<<<<< for anyone who requires help, this booklet holds 90 potential questions and edexcel strictly based answers!!! it has helped me alot, it can be found on the TES website, if you look it up, you will be sure to find it!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by rory58824
A couple of questions on the article:

- Is the toggle switch (paragraph 25) related to the transcription initiation complex, which triggers protein transcription at the promoter region?
- Why can't synthetically altered organisms compete economically with regular petroleum products? Is it due to costs in producing the altered organisms?

Yeah I'm a bit stuck on this too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending