Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABeingOnEarth)
    Hey guys, can someone tell me everything I need to know about GMOs and transcription factors? Thanks
    Dude just learn the mark schemes the mark schemes are the same every year and the questions are basically the from the past. This is what i did in all my biology exams, and did good without knowing any theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Browns10)
    prepare by learning the possible spec points you could be assessed on (across unit 1 to 5)
    I dont know what that means. We didnt really finish the course till the end so we didnt really speak about the article too much so I dont know what to do with it or how its going to work... I know its like a comprehension but people are preparing for it so how do you do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MyBrainHurts:()
    Im really strugling to understand what the questions are asking me to do. I write one thing but the mark scheme says another and its really frustrating. Any advice?
    Lol I pretty much wrote the exact same comment. I think you will just have to improvise

ReputationRep:
    Someone please tell me how to prepare for biology stimulus??

ReputationRep:
    can someone just quickly go over the benefits of keyhole surgery ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fpmaniac)
    Dude just learn the mark schemes the mark schemes are the same every year and the questions are basically the from the past. This is what i did in all my biology exams, and did good without knowing any theory
    Yea that's what I'm doing, thanks bro anyway.

ReputationRep:
    cheaper + shorter recovery time due to less overall damage to tissue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LyreBirds)
    cheaper + shorter recovery time due to less overall damage to tissue
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Less risk of pathogen entry also

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see the report by BBC South Today re: the unit 4 exam?

The students interviewed were very reasoned and put their points across well. Well done ladies!

ReputationRep:
    You can the unit 4 BBC south today report on their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/BBCSouthToday/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABeingOnEarth)
    You can the unit 4 BBC south today report on their facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/BBCSouthToday/
    The problem is that the main focus is being put on the lack of A2 on the paper, which Edexcel can easily defend as they can realistically put whatever synoptic questions they like on the exam.

The main issue is the fact that they copied a previous exam, and it was a blatant copy.

They clearly copied this exam because we are the last year to do this specification, they're currently focussing on the new spec and so we just got a hand me down paper, which obviously puts a lot of students at an unfair advantage.

Lowering the grade boundaries doesn't fix this, as it just secures those who revised from the copied paper a top grade.

IMO this exam should either be discounted from the final grade, or students should get the maximum UMS within their predicted grade for this paper. That is the only fair way of doing it without making students resit the paper.

I highly doubt any of that will happen, they'll probably just unofficially lower the grade boundaries by a mark or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JC.)
    The problem is that the main focus is being put on the lack of A2 on the paper, which Edexcel can easily defend as they can realistically put whatever synoptic questions they like on the exam.

The main issue is the fact that they copied a previous exam, and it was a blatant copy.

They clearly copied this exam because we are the last year to do this specification, they're currently focussing on the new spec and so we just got a hand me down paper, which obviously puts a lot of students at an unfair advantage.

Lowering the grade boundaries doesn't fix this, as it just secures those who revised from the copied paper a top grade.

IMO this exam should either be discounted from the final grade, or students should get the maximum UMS within their predicted grade for this paper. That is the only fair way of doing it without making students resit the paper.

I highly doubt any of that will happen, they'll probably just unofficially lower the grade boundaries by a mark or two.
    Yes I agree with you, I think nothing will happen from all this.
    Anyway good job I did AS as well as A2 this year :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JC.)

No offense but there really isn't any point in fussing over the unit 4 exam because it's over...... You can't change it and you've already said the Edexcel are unlikely to do anything about us all moaning so I think everyone should just focus on Unit 5 and hope and pray that it's similar to what we expected and if it isn't, then hope and pray that we've all done enough to get decent grades to help our future. Just move on; you can't change the past but you still have a say in the future. Again please don't be offended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manook16)
    No offense but there really isn't any point in fussing over the unit 4 exam because it's over...... You can't change it and you've already said the Edexcel are unlikely to do anything about us all moaning so I think everyone should just focus on Unit 5 and hope and pray that it's similar to what we expected and if it isn't, then hope and pray that we've all done enough to get decent grades to help our future. Just move on; you can't change the past but you still have a say in the future. Again please don't be offended.
    I know its in the past, I for one have been saying that for a while (if you look back several pages you'll see).

I just think its a waste of energy all of these people complaining about the synoptic questions. It was reported by the BBC but this seems like a waste considering the copied paper was not mentioned. If such a story is reported regarding the synoptic elements of the paper, then I believe more influence can be made regarding the copied paper.

I know we can't change the past, but we can mould what will happen in the future, and we can force Edexcel's hand if we play this right.

Best thing to do is to focus on tomorrows unit 5 exam and then focus on righting the wrong that was unit 4.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm one of the girls from the interview, there will be a full version on tonight at 7.30 I think I did bring this up in more depth so don't worry, hopefully they'll include that as well!

ReputationRep:
    this exam is like something out of a nightmare, the other 3 I revised probably less than I have for this one and I just cannot grasp the concepts of this exam, I keep writing one thing and then the mark scheme looks as if its asked me a totally different question. With this exam last week as well I think my chances of uni are depleting by the day....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonandstars)
    this exam is like something out of a nightmare, the other 3 I revised probably less than I have for this one and I just cannot grasp the concepts of this exam, I keep writing one thing and then the mark scheme looks as if its asked me a totally different question. With this exam last week as well I think my chances of uni are depleting by the day....

I feel the same! It's a nightmare!

what's really frustrating me is when people ask how's it going etc... I give an honest account only to be told "you'll be fine and get the grades you need"

Arhhhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mpwb)
    I feel the same! It's a nightmare!

what's really frustrating me is when people ask how's it going etc... I give an honest account only to be told "you'll be fine and get the grades you need"

Arhhhhhhh

I know so true! literally everyone I ask is like "ahhh you'll be fine! you'll get in!" I want to just show them my notes and how much we have to learn haha. I already have a degree and these are without a doubt the hardest exams I've ever taken. Hats off to all you guys taking other A levels as well I would have lost the plot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonandstars)
    I know so true! literally everyone I ask is like "ahhh you'll be fine! you'll get in!" I want to just show them my notes and how much we have to learn haha. I already have a degree and these are without a doubt the hardest exams I've ever taken. Hats off to all you guys taking other A levels as well I would have lost the plot
    Same here got a degree too and this is mental compared to that! I genuinely don't know how I got through A levels way back when I was at school!

I think if I carried on with the stress I would prob cry! So much better to laugh about it and what will be will be......

Must admit I'm really looking forward to 1030 tomorrow morning when that exam is finished and I can go back to normality for a few weeks!

Good luck to everyone with the paper tomorrow morning

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.