Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
is anyone revising as content?
Reply 1001
Original post by aksdj
is anyone revising as content?

I retook both as exams this year feel free to ask me anything 😀
Original post by tayloryeah
the kill switch is synthetically produced and placed into assassin cells, 'switch' in general refers to gene regulation.
I think this is the paragraph related to cancerous cells, so from that thought; cancerous cells release chemicals which stimulative the synthetic pathway in assassin cells to produce a transcription factor which binds to the promoter region of DNA, activates the gene coding for enzymes (via transcription and translation) which secretes apoptosis, ie. self suicide of the cell

insta @abcdefghijkleila_

wtf are we supposed to know **** like this, feels like im studying a complete different exam board

all ive been using is the cgp A2 book, which im now starting to regret
Reply 1003
Original post by Ikran
I retook both as exams this year feel free to ask me anything 😀

Can you remind me how statins work ^^
the kill switch is synthetically produced and placed into assassin cells, 'switch' in general refers to gene regulation.
I think this is the paragraph related to cancerous cells, so from that thought; cancerous cells release chemicals which stimulative the synthetic pathway in assassin cells to produce a transcription factor which binds to the promoter region of DNA, activates the gene coding for enzymes (via transcription and translation) which secretes apoptosis, ie. self suicide of the cell

insta @abcdefghijkleila_

Does the chemical from the cancerous cell stimulate the production of transcription factors or does it bind to existing transcription factors causing them to become activators?
Looks like im just gonna wing the pre release, its all about confidence (thats what I keep telling myself).
Reply 1006
Original post by aksdj
Can you remind me how statins work ^^

Statins are drugs which lower the cholesterol level which inhibit the Enzymes involved in LDL production
Reply 1007

insta @abcdefghijkleila_

Thank you so much! i have no idea what this article is going on about tbh
So I'm super screwed for tomorrow... it was nice knowing y'all >_<
can someone please tell me if in oxidative phosphorylation is ATPase used or ATP Synthase cause my textbook and revision guide is saying synthase but the mark scheme is saying ATPase
bit confused by controling heart rate questions:

Textbook is talking about releasing adrenaline to stimulate san contraction , but the m.k scheme talks about barorecptors detecting change due to blood ph falling , indicates high co2 , sends impulses to medulla etc

Which one is right :L

Also textbook includes stuff about body's response to extreme temperatures over long periods of time

- Thyroxine is released
Travels to nucleus and switches on genes which are responsible for encoding respiratory enzymes
-more mitochondria produced increases rate of aerobic respiration

Hormones TRH relased- never seen q about this in papers :l
Original post by alexfrances
can someone please tell me if in oxidative phosphorylation is ATPase used or ATP Synthase cause my textbook and revision guide is saying synthase but the mark scheme is saying ATPase

You can write either it doesn't matter, they're both correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexfrances

ATPase refers to a group of enzymes, some of which are involved in ATP synthesis during chemiosmosis but mostly used in hydrolysis of ATP. The presence of hydrogen ions (H+) in the stalked particle (next to the electron transport chain in the inner mitochondrial membrane) changes the shape (conformational change) of the ATPase enzyme's active site, allowing ADP to bind to the active site in ATP synthesis.
Original post by Daniel9998
wtf are we supposed to know **** like this, feels like im studying a complete different exam board

all ive been using is the cgp A2 book, which im now starting to regret

the point of the pre release is to expand our knowledge at the same time as showing application of our A2 knowledge, all that is mentioned is in our spec but in the context of the pre release :smile:
Reply 1014
Original post by Ikran
Statins are drugs which lower the cholesterol level which inhibit the Enzymes involved in LDL production

thank you !
Reply 1015
Original post by Ikran

thank you!
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Textbook is talking about releasing adrenaline to stimulate san contraction , but the m.k scheme talks about barorecptors detecting change due to blood ph falling , indicates high co2 , sends impulses to medulla etc

Also textbook includes stuff about body's response to extreme temperatures over long periods of time

- Thyroxine is released
Travels to nucleus and switches on genes which are responsible for encoding respiratory enzymes

i would follow the mark scheme, the text book tends to waffle, and the stuff that comes up in the mark scheme repeats with question like these. although adrenaline does affect the activity of the SAN when it is secreted from the adrenal gland but that occurs when there is changes in CO2 of which the SAN activity needs to increase to increase the frequency of depolarisation through the atrial walls and thus the cardiac output increases to allow oxygenated blood to be carried through blood vessels. Baroreceptors are related to changes in blood pressure, they are located in the aortic and carotid arteries, if blood pressure drops, impulses are sent to the medulla oblongata to the cardiovascular centre which coordinates a response by sending impulses through the sympathetic nervous system to increase the heart rate, so that the arteries lumen constrict to increase blood pressure.

the only thing you need to know about temperature is thermoregulation regulated by the hypothalmus located in the brain. and the only thing you need to know about thyroxine is that it is a hormone just like adrenaline
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSR Mustafa

- Thyroxine is released

Both are correct for the heart rate one, it's just that adrenaline is the hormonal response due to the change in blood pH while the nervous response is the impulses sent from the medulla.
I've never seen specific questions about thyroxine but make sure you know generally about hormonal responses and how they can trigger transcription initiation complexes to bind to the promoter regions etc. to cause chemical changes.
the point of the pre release is to expand our knowledge at the same time as showing application of our A2 knowledge, all that is mentioned is in our spec but in the context of the pre release :smile:

Whats the point of preparing questions for the pre release though. Questions in the actual exam are going to be random anyways so I dont see the point
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Both are correct for the heart rate one, it's just that adrenaline is the hormonal response due to the change in blood pH while the nervous response is the impulses sent from the medulla.
I've never seen specific questions about thyroxine but make sure you know generally about hormonal responses and how they can trigger transcription initiation complexes to bind to the promoter regions etc. to cause chemical changes.

what are promoter regions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending