Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoldtheDoor)
    What did you guys say about the features of a metabolic pathway when nitrogen from the atmosphere is converted into ammonia using bacteria? It was like 4 marks.
    I basically talked about how enzymes catalyse reactions in the metabolic pathway, and then explained how each step is catalysed by a different enzyme, active site it specific,enzyme lowers activation energy etc. and then added a bit about nitrogen fixation. I dunno how many marks that'll be though

ReputationRep:
    Sigh that question on bacteria removing nitrogen from the atmosphere...I was really short on time by the time I got to that (because I screwed up the habituation question and had to rewrite it).

Apparently time pressure does funny things to my brain, because I had this "terrific" brainwave. I wrote about bacteria obtaining nitrogen from decomposing organic material and secreting DNAases and proteases to hydrolyse the DNA and proteins to nucleotides and amino acids, and then these products being the next stage in the metabolic pathway and the nitrogen being released from them via hydrolysis, and then enzymes catalysing the reaction betwene hydrogen from another source and nitrogen to form covalent bonds, which would then form the ammonia...I was on a roll.

I was sooooo pleased with myself that I'd managed to come up with such a good answer on the spot and so pressed for time, and I took literally two steps out of the exam hall at the end when the words "ATMOSPHERIC nitrogen" floated into my brain unbidden...

My next thought was just one long line of expletives.:argh:

I'm glad to finally be done with this course anyway. It is the worst one I've ever done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMasti)
    I basically talked about how enzymes catalyse reactions in the metabolic pathway, and then explained how each step is catalysed by a different enzyme, active site it specific,enzyme lowers activation energy etc. and then added a bit about nitrogen fixation. I dunno how many marks that'll be though
    Probably a lot more than I got. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandMasti)
    Yh, I also talked about how each step is catalysed by a specific enzyme, but didn't go in detail about activation energy, crap... Run out of things to say and talked about ammonia used by plants for growth lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larache)
    The usual probably; identify the gene for removing CO2, use a restriction (endonuclease) enzyme to cut out the gene, place into a vector (such as a plasmid) and so on?
    Was it not done by synthetic biology? So they create a new dna strand containing the gene required.....

ReputationRep:
    What were the differences in making a stretch of DNA and making a stretch of RNA?
    Also the stem cells question? It's all so infuriating I HATE BIOLOGY. BUT I'M SO GLAD I NEVER HAVE TO DO SALTERS BIOLOGY EVER AGAIN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    What were the differences in making a stretch of DNA and making a stretch of RNA?
    Also the stem cells question? It's all so infuriating I HATE BIOLOGY. BUT I'M SO GLAD I NEVER HAVE TO DO SALTERS BIOLOGY EVER AGAIN.
    i talked about how DNA replication is used to build strands of DNA and RNA is made from transcription. And then I went on to talk about the differences between transcription and DNA replication e.g. DNA replication forms two daughter DNA strands while transcription forms one single strand of RNA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechanism)
    I related it back to the structural differences between both DNA and RNA e.g. RNA has ribose sugar whilst DNA has deoxyribose, RNA singular stranded, DNA double stranded and RNA has uracil in place o thymine in DNA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanXd)
    I related it back to the structural differences between both DNA and RNA e.g. RNA has ribose sugar whilst DNA has deoxyribose, RNA singular stranded, DNA double stranded and RNA has uracil in place o thymine in DNA
    I dont think you had to talk about structure, think they were asking on how the building of DNA and RNA differ, meaning how DNA replication is different to transcription of RNA

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who took unit 5 today tell me if Edexcel reworded another IAL paper again? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    I dont think you had to talk about structure, think they were asking on how the building of DNA and RNA differ, meaning how DNA replication is different to transcription of RNA
    Ahh, maybe I still got a mark in there somewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanXd)
    Ahh, maybe I still got a mark in there somewhere
    Yes but building requires different structures

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the L-dopa decreasing question? And what about the last question about radiation - I don't remember the wording..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasx_)
    What did people put for the L-dopa decreasing question? And what about the last question about radiation - I don't remember the wording..
    just talked about how L-dopa is transferred through the blood into the brain and is then converted into dopamine etc

radiation damages the cell and can cause them to become cancerous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel9998)
    I combined both - talked about how to BUILD DNA using deoxyribose, two strands, DNA polymerase, thymine compared to BUILDING RNA with ribose, one strand, RNA polymerase and uracil .....answered it that way as it was the only way I could come up with more than one difference for how to build (i.e. polymerases) .... can't build a house without bricks .... says she hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    Not a bad exam. Some of those questions on the article were a b***h

ReputationRep:
    3 differences between a stem cell and an insulin producing cell?

ReputationRep:
    That was such a bull**** paper. Metabolic pathway? What does that even mean?? Why were there so many suggest question in the ****** article. Why the **** were the questions worded in such a ***** way

ReputationRep:
    Why are edexcel so **** at making biology papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manook16)
    Was it not done by synthetic biology? So they create a new dna strand containing the gene required.....
    I spent so much time figuring out whether they ment GMO or synthesis of Bacteria by engineering the different parts and putting everything together like a circuit (which the whole article was essentially about). My answer was based on synthesis via engineering, since they actually had the word 'engineering' in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.