Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I originally posted this in the SAAS sub-forum, but I'm copy-pasting it here to hopefully give it a bit more visibility. My original post is below:

After over 6 months of waiting, I was unbelievably disappointed to receive a phone call last Friday telling me that my funding application has been declined. I am planning to lodge an appeal in the next couple of days, because I don't think I've been treated fairly, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice or experiences to share? I would really appreciate the help, because I wasn't expecting this, and if this appeal fails I have to come up with a significant sum of money by the end of March.

My situation is this: I am studying Medicine at Trinity College Dublin, but I am currently taking a year out to do a degree in Immunology. Intercalated degrees like this are commonly offered by medical schools in the UK and Ireland, and I was told over the phone back in June that the SAAS do cover students taking them. There is literature on the SAAS website confirming this. But I think they've taken issue with the fact that it's a Masters, and thus technically a postgraduate degree. This doesn't make sense to me, because if I was studying in England, I would be able to take a similar course, and I would be supported even though it would be more expensive. Also, I don't have a degree, so how can I be a postgraduate!

So has anyone encountered this situation before? Any general advice about appealing? Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to download or get a copy of their appeals procedure to see how it works and what you have to prove.

You need to look at their written decision to see why they made it.

You need to point out its common. You confirmed it with them and hopefully identify who gave you approval it was ok. the mre precise you cna be the better.

It will help if you get a supporting reference from the tutor on your course as well as one running the MA course. You should also find out whether anyone ifn the faculty has ha a similar experience. Yo might laso wnat to use the BMA forum if they have one to see if you cna find anyone else with similar experience and how they dealt with it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, that's really helpful! Just one question: you said it might be helpful to get a reference from my tutor, would that just be to prove that I am a student on the course, or do you think it would help to get a full character reference to show that I'm a reliable student?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by BoJericho)
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, that's really helpful! Just one question: you said it might be helpful to get a reference from my tutor, would that just be to prove that I am a student on the course, or do you think it would help to get a full character reference to show that I'm a reliable student?
    You need to find out what their written reasons are first. It may be they just misunderstand medicine and that the course you went on was a viable and complementary course.

Your tutor can confirm that he sees it as viable and that in effect if they cut your training it finishes your medical career. i.e it makes no sense etc.Without knowing them its all guess work. I'm just going on what you have posted.

You cna get the same sort of reference from the people on your MA saying yes its a valid course, other Drs do it and they gain xyz benefits.

So you are after a supportive statement showing what you have done has been perfectly normal. I have a feeling the rejection was because they became suspicious about the course you did.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.