The Student Room Group

My advice for revision for AS and A2 Students!

Currently an A2 student who got BBC for AS, doing Biology, chemistry and maths. Will be general advice. Post your advice too! :smile:

1) Buy the CGP revision guides
These are a god-send for AS students as its more focused on the exam and questions. They are very simple with very simple language. It's easy to understand and is a good bridge for GCSE to AS but its still very valuable for A2 students. You will still need to look at the textbook as it contains more info and is more well rounded. My friend used ONLY the CGP book and lost marks on easy questions as it wasn't covered in the revision guide. Its a good idea to use both books hand-in-hand,.

2) Get a tutor
Getting a tutor is an excellent idea as they can focus directly on your problems. For AS I had tuition for chemistry for 4 weeks and this gave me the confidence to revise on my own and have a greater understanding of the subject. Tutors can be pricey but they are definitely worth it.

3) Change revision strategy
You definitely have to change strategy from GCSE. A levels require a great amount of ingenuity, independence and patience. Here's my current strategy for chemistry and biology:
Read one whole topic. Start off by writing key words and definitions. Read one whole paragraph and try to remember it. Write down everything you remember in a concise and sort of chronological way. Make sure you add your interpretation of what you read not of the textbooks. Do every paragraph and make sure you write down every point. Make sure you do the summary and write down the corrections. If you don't correct your answers you wont really be learning
Note this strategy won't work for everyone as everyone is different but its worth while trying to find one specific to you which is well developed. Message me if you want to hear more about my strategy

4) Don't be ashamed or stressed of mock results
I was getting Es and Us in my mocks right until March. People were getting Bs and As. I felt like a small fish in a big pond. ;-; While others were gloating I was motivated and focused on my revision. I ended up with a BBC at the end while most people ended up with E's and U's. Turns out the people doing well in mocks were cheaters and retakers. One girl who aced the mocks left with a UUUU she actually fainted on results day lol.

That's my advice, please post yours and share ideas! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm stressing for A2 exams. Which unis have you applied to and which course are you going to study
Original post by JubilationXXV
I'm stressing for A2 exams. Which unis have you applied to and which course are you going to study

I've applied for pure maths and have received 4 offers. I applied to Aston, Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry and Nottingham. Why you stressed? You have loads of times to revise! :smile:
Original post by Shiv is Light
@Mathaddict
Aston haven't given me an offer yet lol ;-;

NOOOOO you saw my careless post before I had a chance to re-read yours properly and delete mine! :lol:

Well done for getting those offers though, especially Nottingham - thought their requirements were AAA!
Original post by Mathaddict
NOOOOO you saw my careless post before I had a chance to re-read yours properly and delete mine! :lol:

Well done for getting those offers though, especially Nottingham - thought their requirements were AAA!

Its A*AA for me, nice username btw I love maths
Its A*AA for me, nice username btw I love maths

ouch - have you got a good chance of pulling your grades up and meeting that offer?
Original post by Mathaddict
ouch - have you got a good chance of pulling your grades up and meeting that offer?

Lol nope but I've got offers for AAB which I think I could get.
Lol nope but I've got offers for AAB which I think I could get.

Good luck!
I've applied for pure maths and have received 4 offers. I applied to Aston, Birmingham, Leicester, Coventry and Nottingham. Why you stressed? You have loads of times to revise! :smile:

Congrats! I just feel like there's so much to take it. And I do an essay based subject, I can write great essays when I'm not under time constraint, but I am such a slow writer so I feel like I'll fail that exam.

Quick Reply

Latest