Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying for a natural sciences (biology) degree with the open university while I work full time as a HCA in a hospital. I am also independently studying my a levels. (I am currently studying physics). I was fortunate enough to start studying with the open university before the fee change so I am paying the transitional arrangement fees. I won't have to take out a loan for this degree. I was talking to a student nurse on my ward and she says that the NHS bursary is being eliminated in 2017 for nurses and after that you have to take out a loan to fund your education. If this is the case for nurses then medical students can't be far behind. I plan to apply to medical school in 2019 so that I can be in medical school in 2020. The question I'm asking is that is the only way to pay for graduate entry medicine in 2020 a student loan? Will I be on the hook for £36000 or will the current fee paying structure survive? The reason I ask is because I've already been to a 'brick' university and I have about £22000 worth of debt already.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody knows the future of GEM (including financing) at the moment. People are taking it year by year. Although I have spoke to Warwick and they seem pretty confident that nothing is going to change for a while. However, one has to skeptical especially with all the changes that ARE being made.

ReputationRep:
    Just to flag that graduates doing a five year course are only eligible for a maintenance loan, and so have to find £36k for fees. As such if the system was changed to loans for 4 year courses it could well change for the better for 5 year ones.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.