Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Xphoenix Road to get Awesome AS/A2 gradesr Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have mini assessments starting next monday and as result started revision.

So far I have done mechanics and a bit of Macroeconomics. Think I will need to work harder in providing detail in my answers for macro.

Planning to do another 3 hours today... so Hopefully!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

(Original post by Xphoenix)
    I have mini assessments starting next monday and as result started revision.

So far I have done mechanics and a bit of Macroeconomics. Think I will need to work harder in providing detail in my answers for macro.

Planning to do another 3 hours today... so Hopefully!
    Good luck! What subjects do you currently do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Good luck! What subjects do you currently do?
    Thanks!

I'm currently doing Edexcel Maths, Further Maths, Economics and AQA Geography

For Maths I'm doing C1-2, S1-2, M1-2 and FP1 this year.

ReputationRep:
    Woke up really late today so lots of precious revision time lost!

Started with some FP1 covering all my shady areas (practically every topic in it)... only 2 hours so far and then got sidetracked with some CSGO

Planning to do 30 more mins of FP1 before doing some Microeconomics.

ReputationRep:
    First set of assessments start tomorrow. Still revising at this time of day. Could have been avoided If I was organised better and actually concentrated and didn't procrastinate. Will have to learn from this for the real thing and real mocks in the summer and next year.

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: Had my physical geography think I did quite well in that, and feeling confident.

Also had a my Mechanics Paper however think I crashed out... Be lucky to get 50% based on the amount of marks I dropped. Feeling slightly down and now pressurised to perform in FP1, Stats and Core. Don't want to drop the subject but may be asked to if I don't pick up my grades...

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE: Had my physical geography think I did quite well in that, and feeling confident.

Also had a my Mechanics Paper however think I crashed out... Be lucky to get 50% based on the amount of marks I dropped. Feeling slightly down and now pressurised to perform in FP1, Stats and Core. Don't want to drop the subject but may be asked to if I don't pick up my grades...
    You still have time to turn it around! The forums on TSR are really supportive. I'm sure you'd be able to find someone willing to help you with things you don't understand. I wish I could help, but I'm not quite at A-levels yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    You still have time to turn it around! The forums on TSR are really supportive. I'm sure you'd be able to find someone willing to help you with things you don't understand. I wish I could help, but I'm not quite at A-levels yet!
    Thanks for some encouragement, I have two tomorrow as well (forgot to mention in post so I'll do it as a reply)

I Have my Macroeconomics, and my FP1 which I think I have the potential to do well in so lets hope all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for some encouragement, I have two tomorrow as well (forgot to mention in post so I'll do it as a reply)

I Have my Macroeconomics, and my FP1 which I think I have the potential to do well in so lets hope all goes well!
    You're welcome! Good luck with your tests!

ReputationRep:
    Not any More good News...
    Got my physical geography back and it wasn't what I expected.. I thought I did well... evidently not. I got 50% in my physical geography. Main reason was due to lack of linking back to the question apparently. Hopefully this can be sorted by the next set and for Human geography if I have the same problem.

FP1 maths I found quite easy but after the geography result who knows? (although saying that you either prove it or you don't sort of thing ahaha)

Macro was good, but I was really pushed for time... Just need to practice in timed conditions and I should be fine for my real mocks.

Microeconomics and C2 tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    Not any More good News...
    Got my physical geography back and it wasn't what I expected.. I thought I did well... evidently not. I got 50% in my physical geography. Main reason was due to lack of linking back to the question apparently. Hopefully this can be sorted by the next set and for Human geography if I have the same problem.

FP1 maths I found quite easy but after the geography result who knows? (although saying that you either prove it or you don't sort of thing ahaha)

Macro was good, but I was really pushed for time... Just need to practice in timed conditions and I should be fine for my real mocks.

Microeconomics and C2 tomorrow...
    50% is still half the marks. With the feedback you have from your teacher you can do better in the next one! Besides it's a few months until the exams that actually count. It's better to identify what you need to do to improve now rather than in the exam itself or on your alevel results.

ReputationRep:
    So...I now have the actual mark for my mechanics... it's not great and it's actually annoying...

i got 38%...
    Now I could have gained 20 marks just like that If i didn't make two sign errors, which cost me 15 marks as I'll got the following questions wrong and then copying the diagram wrong and hence putting the wrong number into an equation, and I would be looking at 70-80%... Which is what I am aiming for... Really disappointed in myself for these careless errors.
    Had Core 2 today... Was interesting... Knew some questions and finished really quickly and made easy mistakes with others.

I have Stats and Human geography tomorrow. Worried about both... Wish me luck

ReputationRep:
    So...I now have the actual mark for my mechanics... it's not great and it's actually annoying...

i got 38%...
    Now I could have gained 20 marks just like that If i didn't make two sign errors, which cost me 15 marks as I'll got the following questions wrong and then copying the diagram wrong and hence putting the wrong number into an equation, and I would be looking at 70-80%... Which is what I am aiming for... Really disappointed in myself for these careless errors.
    Had Core 2 today... Was interesting... Knew some questions and finished really quickly and made easy mistakes with others.

I have Stats and Human geography tomorrow. Worried about both... Wish me luck
    Oh no!! I hope your Geography tests went went! It's not the end of the world though, you still have until the summer to boost your grades!

ReputationRep:
    I think it went well but who knows...

We had the A* questions from various C2 and c1 papers for maths.

Got C2 back got 25 % and even worse I don't really know what I've done wrong.
    C1 I'll get back next week so hopefully that makes up for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I also forgot to mention my FP1 mark!! First bit of good news. 70%, could have been higher if I wrote closing statements on my proof y induction and actually proved by induction a series equation rather than using the formula to prove it equals what was provided.

Macroeconomics I got 60% and although I wanted to have higher, it's a good start for my first ever paper. Could improve but ensuring I am answering the question as I know the content well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lack of posting and reflection but that's actually due to me working and completely forgetting about this. Had a stats test and got 71% but was really expecting 85% at least... made stupid errors but It's a good foundation. Mechanics tomorrow. Work-energy principle and statics scaring me right now...

ReputationRep:
    Sorry again for lack of updates. Everything has started to improve. Economics I came top in my class for Micro and middle for Macro in a practice paper before our end of year exams. I'm hoping for an A* prediction. Geography has also been an improvement slowly getting used to 15 markers again hoping to get an high A so that I can get an A* prediction but who knows?

Now Maths... Fun Fun Fun... why couldn't it be like GCSE Maths. I've had to self teach the C1/C2 and aspects of C3/C4 to myself. (We haven't finished c3/c4). Whilst I can get approximately 80% for sure in papers i'm a bit inconsistent sometimes getting high 90% other times getting 70% in C1/C2. Really need to be high 90 UMS (Whatever that would be in the real thing) if I want an A* prediction. I do further as well... Stats should be ok and aiming for 100 UMS in S1, and 90 in S2.

Mechanics is the real tricky one. tbh, I'm aiming for 70-80% in M1 and M2. I know the theory, it's the questions. I always freeze, get overwhelmed, and make silly errors. My last test was not great only got 42%. I did a M2 paper and got 77% and tried doing a M1, but gave up after 3 questions due to tiredness. Will do it tomorrow instead.

Fp1, is just practice and I could get a really good mark for this.

Any tips for improving in Mechanics? I draw clear diagrams for every question, but sometimes my difficulty is just trying to work out what the question is asking...

ReputationRep:
    I've had my Mechanics and my C3/C4 papers. Both could have gone better but who knows? I'm getting my result back for mechanics today... lets hope I didn't screw up badly.

ReputationRep:
    Got my Mechanics mark and my C3/C4 marks. For mechanics, really pleased and got 80%... couldn't be happier. On the other hand, C3/c4 was rather dreadful only getting 56%... Made a few stupid errors however, it was just due to not knowing every topic, however I do have till next year when it matters. It's just my predictions are now affected.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for lack of Posts! I've been relaxing, recovering and preparing for the previous and upcoming school year!

My end grades: Actual:
    Econ:A
    Maths:A
    Geography: B
    Further Maths: B (scrape though)

So predicitions became:
    A*AAB (referring to the order of subjects listed).

Gonna Retake the small bit of C3/C4 we've done ot try and get an A* for Maths and maybe retake some of the applied modules to get an A. At worst I take the AS level in Further Maths, but if anyone knows, how difficult is A2 further maths, specifically, S3, M3 and FP2.

Overall, I could have worked harder, spent my time more efficiently and less procrastination!!! But, these are in no way disastrous results.

Submit reply
Updated: August 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.