The Student Room Group

AQA English Language - Higher Tier: How much is enough for each question?

For an 8 mark question, as an example, one is advised to spend around 12 minutes writing their answer. Say they've wrote just in excess of a page, do they have full access to the 8 marks available?

The same applies to the 16 mark and 24 mark questions.

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
For an 8 mark question, as an example, one is advised to spend around 12 minutes writing their answer. Say they've wrote just in excess of a page, do they have full access to the 8 marks available?

The same applies to the 16 mark and 24 mark questions.

Thank you in advance.

This is really a 'how long is a piece of string question' :tongue: if your writing style is naturally concise, or naturally flowery, and you're still including the same level of skill then you'll get the same amount of marks :smile: it's about quality rather than quantity
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
This is really a 'how long is a piece of string question' :tongue: if your writing style is naturally concise, or naturally flowery, and you're still including the same level of skill then you'll get the same amount of marks :smile: it's about quality rather than quantity

Thank you for your reply. I'm wondering why there are like five pages for the 24 marker; does someone actually write that much in 36 minutes? At best I can only fill about two sides...
Thank you for your reply. I'm wondering why there are like five pages for the 24 marker; does someone actually write that much in 36 minutes? At best I can only fill about two sides...

If people have really big handwriting then they often need more room, but I always find that exam papers are very generous with the amount of space they give you :smile: You shouldn't worry if you don't fill up all the paper that you're given, in the same way that you shouldn't be worried if you have to ask for more paper - as long as what you're writing is a good quality :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Gingerbread101
If people have really big handwriting then they often need more room, but I always find that exam papers are very generous with the amount of space they give you :smile: You shouldn't worry if you don't fill up all the paper that you're given, in the same way that you shouldn't be worried if you have to ask for more paper - as long as what you're writing is a good quality :smile:

So what would you say is the absolute minimum for 8, 16 and 24 mark questions then?

In the mock exam I scored 7 out of 8 on the first question because I kept thinking I hadn't wrote enough and so I wrote a little more. Then, inevitably, I didn't have enough time for the questions to follow; I eventually stopped trying and gave up.
So what would you say is the absolute minimum for 8, 16 and 24 mark questions then?

In the mock exam I scored 7 out of 8 on the first question because I kept thinking I hadn't wrote enough and so I wrote a little more. Then, inevitably, I didn't have enough time for the questions to follow; I eventually stopped trying and gave up.

For an 8 mark question, I'd say a side to a side and half is enough, for 16 possibly 2 to 2 and a half sides, then 24 you should have enough in 3 sides or so :smile: of course, those aren't official minimums or probably that accurate, but that's the minimum space I would be able to fit the information in (although I have a naturally flowery style) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest