The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm doing a wrong degree

there's no summary of this as it's a bit complicated, sorry for the long read.

I'm currently studying biomedical science at LJMU, I enjoyed it at the start of the year, i applied for it since i liked science in sixth form and because of the fact that having a science degree would quite possibly allow me to have a well paid career. however i'm losing interest in it, recently i've been thinking about what i want to do after uni and i can't really imagine myself working in a lab every single day. i feel like my course is extremely broad in terms of topics and i don't like that at all. i would prefer to focus on one topic, particularly in genetics as i do have a genuine interest in learning about genes and DNA (it's one of my modules and the one i enjoyed most so far). also, i feel like the student union at JMU isn't the best, there aren't that many societies, we don't even have a student bar.

i was thinking of applying to Uni of Liverpool instead to do genetics starting from Year 2 as first year modules are quite similar in both unis, but my problem is that my a-level grades aren't what is required to do the course. they require ABB and i have BCC, would that put me at a major disadvantage if i decided to apply there? i have emailed admissions and they provided entry criteria 'as a guide' which stated that in order to switch i need to be doing modules this year that are similar to the modules at UoL (which i am), also that i'll need to have achieved a 2:1 or above by the end of first year and that i'll have meet the a-level requirements. i'm not too sure what to do.

if the switch to UoL didn't work out, i was thinking of starting a completely different degree but staying at JMU. my real interest is the arts, however i know that art degrees won't land me a well paid job, so i didn't choose to study it in the first place for this reason. one thing that comes to mind though is architecture as it's both creative and good in terms of getting a job in the future. the problem with that is - i don't have any a-levels that are 'creative', would it even be possible to do a completely different degree?
Ok there seem to be a couple of things to think about here:
LJMU: if you're interested in just genetics why not see if you can switch to a genetics course or take more genetics based modules in your second and third years. I would say though that a broader degree is better in the long run in case your interests change or you decide not to stay in science which is doesn't sound like you're keen on.
Re: the student union, surely there's other stuff to do in Liverpool? Is a lack of union bar and societies reason enough to change unis? What's to say that the social scene elsewhere will be great or to your liking?
If you don't meet the requirements for UoL but want to stay in Liverpool maybe look at arts courses in LJMU?

Finally, would you consider moving out of Liverpool? Look at courses that interest you at other unis where you meet the entry requirements and go from there.
Reply 2
I'm studying biomedical science at LJMU, I enjoy it however i feel like my course is extremely broad in terms of topics. i would prefer to focus on one topic, particularly in genetics as i do have a genuine interest in learning about genes and DNA. also, i feel like the student union at JMU isn't the best, there aren't that many societies, we don't even have a student bar. i was thinking of applying to transfer to Uni of Liverpool instead to do genetics starting from Year 2 as first year modules are quite similar in both unis, but my problem is that my a-level grades aren't what is required to do the course. they require ABB and i got BCC in the summer, would that put me at a major disadvantage if i decided to apply there? I emailed admissions and they only provided entry requirements 'as a guide' so I'm not too sure.
Merged with your previous thread on the same topic
Reply 4
You can do in this way:
Now that you know having a science degree could get you well paid, then learn hard and enhance your knowledge and practice as much as possible.
What's more, you can also cultivate your interest for art on your spare time, whether singing, painting etc as you like. This will make you more outstanding in the future on work.
Original post by dis0rder
x

Just quoting you in as it looks like you haven't seen the replies you've received above
Original post by dis0rder
I'm studying biomedical science at LJMU, I enjoy it however i feel like my course is extremely broad in terms of topics. i would prefer to focus on one topic, particularly in genetics as i do have a genuine interest in learning about genes and DNA. also, i feel like the student union at JMU isn't the best, there aren't that many societies, we don't even have a student bar. i was thinking of applying to transfer to Uni of Liverpool instead to do genetics starting from Year 2 as first year modules are quite similar in both unis, but my problem is that my a-level grades aren't what is required to do the course. they require ABB and i got BCC in the summer, would that put me at a major disadvantage if i decided to apply there? I emailed admissions and they only provided entry requirements 'as a guide' so I'm not too sure.

Oh and if this is something you want to pursue there is a lot of advice in the stickied "Transferring universities" thread in Applications and UCAS

You need to speak to your tutor in order to get a reference for any application - it sounds like Liverpool are being quite vague - possibly because the central admissions team wouldn't deal with this sort of application but would escalate it to the department to decide. SO it might be worth a phone call to someone in the department or just applying via UCAS to get formal consideration.

Liverpool had everything advertised in Clearing for 2015 entry - so it is possible they have a very small cohort to progress into yr 2 in 2016 and might be willing to be flexible around A level grades if you have good marks and a good reference.

Quick Reply

Latest