How did you choose your uni housemates? Watch

She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I remember this time of year being crunch time :afraid:

Deciding not only on who you wanted to share a house with in second or third year, but finding one too.

My housemates were a mix of three first year flats and there were 6 of us in total. I lived with one girl from my first year flat.

To be honest it was all pretty painless until the the end of 2nd year when the three of us decided to go it alone and live in a three.

Interestingly the other three didn't all want to live together. We felt pretty bad at the time but it was totally the right decision - the three of us were so close and we still all stayed in touch. Obviously they were very upset with us but sometimes you just can't please everyone.

How did you/ have you chosen your housemates and what advice do you have to students who are about to make the decision?
Danny McCoyne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
in the 2nd and 3rd like many people I chose my friends on the same course to shack up with. But now in year 4 I live alone.
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
in the 2nd and 3rd like many people I chose my friends on the same course to shack up with. But now in year 4 I live alone.
How do find living on your own these days? Do you prefer it?
aarora
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
First year in halls was the best. There was 12 of us in 1 flat, interestingly all girls. During the year everyone got along and there weren't any arguments, we all quite liked each other. The arguments started when it came to discussing 2nd year housing. Obviously there were no houses for 12 so it was clear we'd have to split up. A few people thought it would be a good idea to put people together based on picking names out of a hat. A few didn't agree (including myself). I was really close to one person in particular and we obviously wanted to live together. It was the same with others, certain individuals were closer to others. So when the picking names out of a hat idea fell through arguments started and there was so much friction. Tbh not everyone can be pleased. But everyone got a house in the end. I regretted choosing to live with certain people from my flat, but you learn from your mistakes for 3rd year.
So my advice is to be honest from the outset if you get along with certain people in particular make it clear who you want to live with rather than leaving it too late and hurting others' feelings.
Good luck and happy house hunting!
Danny McCoyne
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
How do find living on your own these days? Do you prefer it?
I prefer living alone tbh haha. I think it was fun in the 2nd year but third year some of the personalities were grating on me and I was intentionally avoiding some of them at home and at uni so it became awkward. There were no major disagreements or fights. After getting to know them more our personalities just didn't click I think knowing someone for as little as one year before you move in together is premature.
Whos_Your_Buddha
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They chose me

Apparently I'm cooler than most people they know
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by aarora)
First year in halls was the best. There was 12 of us in 1 flat, interestingly all girls. During the year everyone got along and there weren't any arguments, we all quite liked each other. The arguments started when it came to discussing 2nd year housing. Obviously there were no houses for 12 so it was clear we'd have to split up. A few people thought it would be a good idea to put people together based on picking names out of a hat. A few didn't agree (including myself). I was really close to one person in particular and we obviously wanted to live together. It was the same with others, certain individuals were closer to others. So when the picking names out of a hat idea fell through arguments started and there was so much friction. Tbh not everyone can be pleased. But everyone got a house in the end. I regretted choosing to live with certain people from my flat, but you learn from your mistakes for 3rd year.
So my advice is to be honest from the outset if you get along with certain people in particular make it clear who you want to live with rather than leaving it too late and hurting others' feelings.
Good luck and happy house hunting!
That's really good advice You're right, you can't please everyone and you have to tell others what will make you happy and try to make it work.

I hope you had a great 3rd year, that was definitely my favourite year of uni and a lot of that was down to housemates and our cute little house
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danny McCoyne)
I prefer living alone tbh haha. I think it was fun in the 2nd year but third year some of the personalities were grating on me and I was intentionally avoiding some of them at home and at uni so it became awkward. There were no major disagreements or fights. After getting to know them more our personalities just didn't click I think knowing someone for as little as one year before you move in together is premature.
Good for you, sometimes you just have to go it alone. And you're right, choosing to live with people after knowing them for only about 6 months is pretty intense and a hard decision.

When I finished uni but did my sabbatical year I lived with one other guy. We got on super well but I kind of lived by myself as it stayed at his girlfriend's a lot. I actually really liked living alone, sometimes when he came back I'd feel like this is my flat. Obviously I never said that, but it felt weird sharing again when he was never ever there.
Kevin De Bruyne
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Out of the 11 guys in the first year accommodation that I put was put in, 6 of us wanted to live with 2 other people. But we struggled to find 8 bedroom houses and we broke off into two groups of 5 and 3. It was supposed to be 4 and 4 but the fourth person in the group I live with now preferred the idea of living with the four other people :cry2: but no worries, we still live about a 20 minute walk from eachother and I even saw one of them in Lidl last weekend.

Picking people I knew were going to be good housemates from the first year was a good idea as you get to know them during that year and what it's like to live with them. If none of your housemates are like that.. no shame in living alone especially if you can pick somewhere near the uni or station or anything else that's convenient for you.
Pseudo-truth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They had to complete a Total Wipeout-style obstacle course in order to be considered, which is standard practice at Nottingham uni.
username1109641
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I lived with 3 of the 5 people I lived with in halls in first year.. Then spent 2nd year falling out with them gradually..

3rd year I live with a coursemate and 2 girls she has lived with since first year.
lilGem
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1st year choosing for second year I ended up liking with my first year neighbour and 2 of her friends who were on completely different courses to me and made my life hell in second year.

my third year house I love: it has 2 other biologists admittedly we all do different modules to each other with none in common with each other (aside from the research project) and it's been great. We also live with a lawyer, who for personal reasons is now commuting but is continuing to pay rent and bills- but that only started this semester.

Definitely if you're on a course that has a heavy number of hours with a lot of contact time then it helps to have people who share a similar workload :yep: the number of arguments in second year it caused and isolated feelings I had because of it wasn't nice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (42)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.8%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.36%

Watched Threads