Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :woohoo: Welcome to my Grow Your Grades blog! :woohoo:

I'm really excited to start this blog - I hope that this will be the making of me so I can finally escape from A-Levels knowing that I gave it my all and not feeling like I could have done more.

I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths with 3 resits from AS year.

My target grades are BBB which is what I need to get into the university I really want to go to but my personal grades are ABB (the A in maths).

I hope you all support me in this journey :woo:
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DedicatedWizard)
    :woohoo: Welcome to my Grow Your Grades blog! :woohoo:

I'm really excited to start this blog - I hope that this will be the making of me so I can finally escape from A-Levels knowing that I gave it my all and not feeling like I could have done more.

I'm doing Chemistry, Physics and Maths with 3 resits from AS year.

My target grades are BBB which is what I need to get into the university I really want to go to but my personal grades are ABB (the A in maths).

I hope you all support me in this journey :woo:
    Good luck on your blog! And definitely will support you, that's what we're here for :woo:

What are you hoping to do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    1st Update - 17th February

I picked the wrong time to start this blog because I have been feeling dizzy and shaky all over since yesterday. This morning I couldn't even get up at 6 for an early start because I had zero energy. However, I have been doing C3 revision. My goal is to finish half of the mixed exercises from my C3 book today and finish 3 topics of AS Physics (Unit 2). Then, if I feel up to it, I will make a start on the Arenes module in A2 Chemistry this evening which is relatively easy because I don't want to stress myself today.

I will come back tonight to let you all know how I fared!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Rose)
    Good luck on your blog! And definitely will support you, that's what we're here for :woo:

What are you hoping to do at uni?
    Thank you! I hope to study Aerospace Engineering, what about you?

I'm also attempting that study technique you recommended!

ReputationRep:
    2nd Update - 19th February

Well, this is the last time I will be making promises I can't keep because I hardly did any work since the 17th of February. :facepalm:

BUT NO MORE!

Today I did a fair amount of work and I'm pretty proud of myself even though it's not as much as I wanted to. Procrastination has always been my downfall for good grades but this is going to stop before I start panicking for the real exams.

Here's a brief outline of what I did today:

1. Completed studying the Benzene topic from my Chemistry textbook.

2. Made notes on Momentum and Newton's Laws (I have two physics textbooks so I did this from only one of them - I will make the same notes again from my other textbook tomorrow).

3. I didn't do half of C3's mixed exercises as I 'confidently' stated that I will 2 days ago. I figured that it would be easy to breeze through it since I have already done the exercises a couple of months back. Obviously a bit of a dumbass move on my part for I have forgotten most of it now so I needed to start afresh. That's why I only did Chapter 1 and 2's mixed exercises.

4. After that, I made notes on Electric Current (again I have two textbooks on this so I only used one). This is for my AS Physics resit (the Electrons, Waves and Protons unit).

------------

I am pretty exhausted right now so taking a bit of a break on here. I'm a bit worried that I am falling behind because I haven't started studying the harder content in maths and physics and I don't know how to prioritise this. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9mKypqTQ4

The following video above was really inspiring! I am probably going watch this on days when I don't feel motivated to do anything.

I have also been using the Pomodoro Study technique i.e. studying for 25 minutes and then having a 5 minute break. It worked a bit today, I'm going to try and reinforce it more into my daily routine.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow9mKypqTQ4

The following video above was really inspiring! I am probably going watch this on days when I don't feel motivated to do anything.

I have also been using the Pomodoro Study technique i.e. studying for 25 minutes and then having a 5 minute break. It worked a bit today, I'm going to try and reinforce it more into my daily routine.
    Go Superwoman! How did I miss this video? It just gave me a much needed motivation boost. Thanks for posting the link!

ReputationRep:
    Well done for pushing through! I know how easy it is to fall behind and then get lazy and complacent so you're doing really well to put yourself back on track.
    The pomodoro technique is supposed to be really useful so I hope it works well for you!
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    3rd Update - 1st March

I have been doing mild work for the past couple of weeks. Not sure on how to update this because I have neglected this blog and I am really regretting it :sad:

I have been mainly focusing on Chemistry and Maths but I tend to get distracted a lot and try to do different things at weird times so in the end, I don't get much done. It's really annoying!

Right now, I'm studying for a module test I have for Chemistry at 9am this morning. Not looking forward to it, but it's an easy topic so I hope to pass it haha.

I have been thinking of making this into a daily blog which means that I can't go to sleep till I finish a certain amount of work each day. Let's see how this goes - I will make it into a 30-day challenge. If I manage to make it to the 31st of March, I will pre-order the Deadpool DVD and buy an album from a K-Pop group I really like.

ReputationRep:
    4th Update - 1st of March (Day #1)

Actually got some work done today! A good start on the 30-day challenge, hope I won't break it (touch wood).

Today...

1. I did C2 Binomial Expansion (most of the exercises before I got sick of it).
    2. Did some work to prepare for an upcoming Physics ISA *fingers crossed*
    3. Made a start on C4 Binomial Expansion (did the first exercise).
    4. Also, I did some French on Duolingo just now. To be honest, I think it probably counts as procrastination since I only came on to find some tips to help me for my ISA.

I am a bit disappointed that I didn't do any Chemistry revision but I was far too worried about the ISA to even THINK of doing anything else aside from some maths.

Edit: Turned out that the Chemistry test is actually on Friday so I have some extra time to revise. Would have been good to know beforehand though

ReputationRep:
    5th Update - 2nd of March (Day #2)

Didn't do a lot today. I only did one exercise from C4 Binomial Expansion and did some revision on Thermal Physics (focusing on Specific Heat Capacity).

So I pretty much wasted the day away. Really annoyed with myself!

I don't have lessons tomorrow so I'm going to lug myself to school and stay in the library as long as I could so I can actually focus.

ReputationRep:
    6th Update - 3rd of March (Day #3)

Good news! I was really productive today. I made notes on Circular Motion and Gravitational Fields for A2 Physics and did some questions on it. However, it took longer than I thought. :/

I also finished off the C2 Binomial Expansion chapter! The I studied the Enthalpy module in AS Chemistry but didn't do much progress because I was half asleep so I decided to call it a day and head home after a school meeting. Overall, it was a good day. I'm aiming on being more quick in revision so I think I need to catch up on sleep I lost this week.

ReputationRep:
    7th Update - 5th of March (Days #4 and #5)

Didn't have much progression in terms of learning unfortunately. I did mediocre work yesterday and today, I woke up in a horrible mood and that mood is there on and off this whole day. Trying to squeeze in some Chemistry revision before 10.30pm because I need the sleep.

EDIT: This is a really depressing blog to be honest. I am finding it really difficult to focus these days and I hate myself for that.

ReputationRep:
    7th Update - 5th of March (Days #4 and #5)
    Didn't have much progression in terms of learning unfortunately. I did mediocre work yesterday and today, I woke up in a horrible mood and that mood is there on and off this whole day. Trying to squeeze in some Chemistry revision before 10.30pm because I need the sleep.

EDIT: This is a really depressing blog to be honest. I am finding it really difficult to focus these days and I hate myself for that.
    It's not depressing. I'm finding it really motivating since you're still doing loads even if it's not everything you wanted to get done.

I think everyone gets to the point where you can't focus, I certainly do. (At this point in time I need to do four pieces of homework before tomorrow and I currently have half an hour in which to do it.) you can get through this but you just need to relax.

Don't give up! You can do this!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    How was that for a motivational speech? I have to be honest I'm proud of myself for that, I just need to start listening to my own advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    x
    Thank you so much! It was a great speech

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.