Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was going to put Durham as my firm choice of law, but I just got offered a place at St Aidan's college and am really unsure if I will like it there or not, I really wanted to go to University College or Chad's college. Has anyone else been offered a place or know what its like? Do we have to share rooms, and is it as bad as loads of people say it is??

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I received an offer for PPE and was allocated to St. Aidan's (and I actually applied to it - call me crazy!)
    I visited Durham in October and looked at pretty much all the colleges, and actually liked it the most (even though initially I didn't even want to look at it). The people there were by far the friendliest, the "dining hall" is big and light, the hallways are bright, the rooms are pretty big, the bar is super super nice (at least compared to the others) and the common areas are big and nice as well. Everyone was super open and friendly and were obviously making a big effort, and I think that's what convinced me the most. There is also lots of green around it, and a beautiful view of the cathedral.

Granted, I would have also enjoyed University College or St. Chad's but made the decision to apply at St. Aidan's because I was pretty sure it wouldn't be oversubscribed because of the way it looks and its rep, but I really liked it so figured that would be better than being re-allocated to one of the other ones. Furthermore, the single to shared room ratio is 60:40, so the majority still get single rooms. St. Chad's has more shared rooms I believe. Also, I don't know about law but a lot of the first year courses (due to their size) are in the science building which is only a five minute walk from St. Aidan's which is a plus. You could have done a lot worse and I'd look at the university as a whole - after all its probably only one out of three years that you'll spend in the college- and as far as I can tell everyone loves their college in the end. I wouldn't worry about it.

I hope that helps and maybe I'll see you next year

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.