Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should we give money to beggars? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we give money to beggars?
    Yes, as much as we can
    14.58%
    Yes, but rarely and carefully
    50.00%
    No, unless in severe situations
    25.00%
    No, never
    10.42%

ReputationRep:
    If it's been done already, shut me down.

Just got me thinking today, about five beggars just sitting around in Vauxhall Station. I think morally giving to the poor is absolutely critical, but I'm just not sure - the argument goes that giving money to beggars either convinces them to remain in their same position of laziness or feed their unhelpful habits. I'm all for people supporting food banks etc, but individually giving money out to beggars?

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just supporting an illegal activity.

Better to give your money to official charities.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you want to, yes. If not, no. I personally always do.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends how drunk you are. The more intoxicated I become the more generous I become. Although it tends to begin to dip when I black out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends if they look genuine. If they look like they're smokers etc I don't.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'd rather buy them something like food or a drink or whatever because I don't know where they're putting my money.

ReputationRep:
    give them food or water or a blanket or something they can use and not spend on drugs or something :yy:

ReputationRep:
    i buy them food/water with the money instead

ReputationRep:
    I used to give them cigarettes when I still smoked, they were always grateful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    No, it's just supporting an illegal activity.

Better to give your money to official charities.
    A lot of charity money goes on admin and salaries etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    A lot of charity money goes on admin and salaries etc.
    Which they again use to generate a compounded return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hogree)

Just got me thinking today, about five beggars just sitting around in Vauxhall Station. I think morally giving to the poor is absolutely critical, but I'm just not sure - the argument goes that giving money to beggars either convinces them to remain in their same position of laziness or feed their unhelpful habits. I'm all for people supporting food banks etc, but individually giving money out to beggars?

Opinions?
    I would if I'm feeling generous and have some change on me

ReputationRep:
    I do sometimes give money to homeless people. I don't really care what they are spending it on, their lives are probably pretty **** as it is, if scoring makes it a bit more bearable for a while then crack on.

No pun intended.

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    NO, I don't think we should give beggars money because they could spend the money on anything i.e drugs. However, I don't believe we should give them nothing as that shows no compassion so I suggest giving them food as a replacement to money!

ReputationRep:
    As someone who works for a homeless charity, I wouldn't recommend it. In the long run just giving them money won't help them. Buying them something like food is a better way to help. Alternatively, if you see someone homeless then contact a homeless charity who are better equipped to help.

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    No, I wouldn't recommend it.

However, it's good to see that you think that giving to the poor is absolutely critical, and your money would go a lot further, actually, if you gave to the most effective and transparent charities in the world that are helping to fight extreme poverty and its related diseases. See GiveWell for a list of these recommended charities and their in-depth evaluations of them, and also have a look at the Giving What We Can site.

One of GiveWell's recommended charities, GiveDirectly, essentially serves the same function as giving to a beggar in that it unconditionally transfers small amounts of cash - but the difference is that it reaches the very poorest people in the world. Also, it monitors what they spend the money on and looks at other indicators of well-being after the cash transfer has occurred. It turns out that a lot of the money is used to invest in things such as roofs for their houses and other products needed to grow their businesses.

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    I've also been reflecting upon the similar matter lately. Sometimes i just can't help but wonder if giving alms to beggars would actually do anything to help them throughout the day. Although in some instances, even the littlest of help could go a long way already, doesn't it?

It's just a but frustrating when you see them spending the money on some fancy stuff. it happened to me before. Right after i gave the woman a small amount of change, she went straight to the nearest stall to buy a decorative hair elastic. Ughh.

ReputationRep:
    Occasionally. I'd be broke if I did it every time. Since Cameron became PM rough sleeping has gone up 80% here in London, and it's very noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Occasionally. I'd be broke if I did it every time. Since Cameron became PM rough sleeping has gone up 80% here in London, and it's very noticeable.
    I swear there are also more beggars in Manchester city centre than there were 5 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    It really depends how drunk you are. The more intoxicated I become the more generous I become. Although it tends to begin to dip when I black out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.