Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Decided to share my thoughts on Linux since I switched to using it for development in watch

ReputationRep:
    So I've been using Linux for a while and I thought it'd be nice to do a write up and let those who haven't used Linux before read about my experiences.

Hopefully some people on TSR might be encourage to try out Linux after reading this.

https://medium.com/@markosullivan/if...7a9#.o0ftnqcoi

ReputationRep:
    Nice write up. I'd heard of Elementary before but never looked into it any further, but it seems quite nice - might have to give it a try sometime soon.

Have you tried Fedora? Might be a good experience for you to try the RedHat side of things.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, nice post!

Ubuntu is fine as a desktop OS, but yes, if you're using it as a VM with a resource heavy manager such as Unity, it's going to run a bit slow. For VMs, try something more lightweight, minimal use of GUI. You can pretty much do everything you need to with SSH + SSH tunneling. CentOS / RHEL is an industry favourite.

One of my favourite things about Linux is how quickly you can automate everything... with Docker, Vagrant, Chef, etc, you can deploy a server in seconds or spin up a dev environment with everything you need installed in a matter of minutes. Makes QA so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    Great post!

One tip though - watch your grammar and whatnot. Content is great, but really would look and feel more professional should you have placed commas correctly etc.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs linux help don't hesitate to ask, I have gentoo, arch, slackware and debian installs setup so i'm covered

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback everyone

(Original post by Push_More_Button)

Have you tried Fedora? Might be a good experience for you to try the RedHat side of things.
    Yeah I used it a bit during my internship along with OpenSUSE. Quite used to using Debian based Linux distros.

Does Fedora based distros have the same support as Debian based distros?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mos182)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone

Yeah I used it a bit during my internship along with OpenSUSE. Quite used to using Debian based Linux distros.

Does Fedora based distros have the same support as Debian based distros?
    Fedora is the bleeding edge version of RedHat, so it's pretty well supported.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpt. Josh)
    Nice article, I've never actually used Linux for any development, per se, but I do run a Kali Linux distro (VM) for pentesting and general pissing around. I'm actually building my PC game for Linux this week (Windows and Mac too) but I've never actually used it to build anything.
    I've been tempted to install Kali Linux to see what I can do with it.

What game you doing? You should post a thread and post updates about your game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mos182)
    I've been tempted to install Kali Linux to see what I can do with it.

What game you doing? You should post a thread and post updates about your game
    He has; check his threads.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.