Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breaking News! Massive offensive against ISIS in Syria. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been following the live maps of Syrian war and a massive offensive is being launched against the ISIS, that could spell their end

http://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2016/1...ee-to-withdraw

Syrian democratic forces (SDF) a coalition of Kurds and moderate Arabs alongside government forces are advancing deep into ISIS territory in Northern Syria, northeast of Allepo.
    Many Al Nusra and other Jihadists are fleeing the advance with some defecting to the ISIS head hunters.

The Syrian regime is aiming for the strategic city of Al Bab, an ISIS stronghold.
    The SDF is heading North of Al Bab and has taken several towns including Tal Rifaat and Mare.

What does this mean?
    This could result in ISIS being cut off from its supply route from Turkey, preventing influx of supplies and new recruits
    The ISIS defenders in their capital of Raqqa will be much weakened leading to a possible Kurdish advance from the North liberating the city or the Syrian government advancing from the west.

It will also cut the main supply routes to ISIS in Iraq. Their only supply route is from Turkey via Syria.

ReputationRep:
    Well that was none starter! 24 hrs later everything is at a standstill. And more to the point no bloody replies to my thread!

What on earth do you have to do to generate replies or a constructive discussion on TSR??

I'm damed if I bloody know.

I don't write threads for the hell of it or because I'm bored. I think a career in journalism is a none starter. Nobody would read my news paper.

Might as well talk to the lamppost in the street.

Next time if I bother I will write a load of pointless rubbish full of spelling and grammatical errors, couldn't get less of an audience.

(Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Well that was none starter! 24 hrs later everything is at a standstill. And more to the point no bloody replies to my thread!

What on earth do you have to do to generate replies or a constructive discussion on TSR??

I don't write threads for the hell of it or because I'm bored. I think a career in journalism is a none starter. Nobody would read my news paper.

Next time if I bother I will write a load of pointless rubbish full of spelling and grammatical errors, couldn't get less of an audience.
    You need to have a little controversy here...

Manipulate the title a little perhaps to "Kurdish and Sunni Terrorists Fight it out in Syria"
    Post controversial views (blame the Jews, that always seems to work)
    Post links to the Daily Mail (people will argue over the validity of the DM as a news source, bumping up this thread)
    Tag posters with conflicting views
    Include a YouTube video (preferably of some Muslims attacking white women, that always gets the fascists posts)
    Have an avatar depicting an LGBT version of the Islamic State flag
    Refer to Muslims as Moslems, to get angry replies from Muslims
    Praise Assad, Putin, attack Merkel
    Say #religionOfPeace randomly, blame Islam...

You get my gist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)

Just insult Muslims if you need attention, 100% foolproof. Always works.

ReputationRep:
    I can find nothing on the regular news sites about this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I can find nothing on the regular news sites about this.
    You often can't, until something big happens. The "mainstream media" (don't like that term) tend to pick up on offensives when major towns get captured, rather than when it begins. However, OP is exaggerating the situation a bit.

The SDF (a YPG led coalition) advanced onto the west bank of the Euphrates back in December, but that front has since gone quiet. Rumours are that Manbij might be the next target.

The SDF in Afrin canton (a Kurdish controlled area geograhically separate from the other Kurdish controlled areas in Kobane and Cizire cantons, which extend from the Euphrates river to the Iraqi border) have been in conflict with other non ISIS rebels north of Aleppo. Many of these rebels are Islamists, like Nusra and Ahrar al Sham. There have always been tensions and fighting there, but now the SDF has made progress and catured Menagh airbase, Tal Rifaat, and a few other villages from these rebels. Now, the SDF in Afrin canton has a frontline with ISIS.

The Syrian government has been gaining ground against ISIS east of Aleppo since the Russian intervention started, and they are not far from the ISIS held town of Al Bab.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This explains some of the events north of Aleppo, complete with a map.

This is a map from wikipedia.

Notice how there's an ISIS corridor between the Turkish border and Raqqa, which goes through the north Aleppo area (including Al Bab and Manbij). The SDF has a frontline with ISIS on both sides of this corridor, so there is the possibility of them squeezing and cutting off ISIS' only supply line to Turkey at some point in the future. ISIS is now under pressure in this area.
    I might explain more when I have more time.

ReputationRep:
    Until Turkey bombs them...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.