The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _icecream
Just taken an iq tests and scored 122 I've used this website
http://www.free-iqtest.net/

Free online IQ tests are very unreliable, the results are basically meaningless. Real IQ tests are 'reliable' in the sense that they give you an accurate IQ score... but your IQ score doesn't really tell you much about your intelligence.
As above.

My online IQ test scores are always far higher than my actual IQ (as formally tested).

IQ is almost meaningless though so don't worry about it.
Everyone's Einstein from online IQ tests.
Online tests are very unreliable, however IQ tests are not meaningless. They test a form of intelligence consistently and reliably when properly conducted and standardised. They test visual-spatial processing, short-term memory, and processing speed, the latter two of which, at least, are important for all types of intelligence. It is well established that there is significant correlation between your performance on an IQ test and all other forms of intelligence - a high score on an IQ test reliably predicts higher performance on measures of emotional intelligence.
Reply 5
Original post by ByronicHero
As above.

My online IQ test scores are always far higher than my actual IQ (as formally tested).

Well I got a bit excited then.
where can I find a more reliable IQ test?

You can't online you will have to arrange to take one of the formal tests. It doesn't matter which one as the percentile is theoretically the important part.

You're not going to find a reliable free IQ test. If you seriously care enough to pay money, Mensa runs proper IQ tests which you sit at an exam centre. It's a complete waste of your time and money though.
Online ones aren't reliable.

IQ scores do correlate with a range of life outcomes though. Eg: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient#Social_correlations

despite the name, that is not an IQ test. that's just a bunch of 20 random questions with some random scoring algorithm. a proper IQ test has around 50 to 200 questions and takes a long time to administer. you can only take an IQ test from a qualified psychologist whom will charge hundreds for it. i doubt that test is even statistically normed; everyone who answers free-iqtest.net seems to get over 120 and i've never seen anyone get below 100; normal distribution tells us 50% of the population should get a score less than 100.

tldr; score is meaningless. if you're really curious talk to a psychologist.

if you want to get a more accurate estimation of your IQ try https://mensa.dk/test-din-ik (made by Mensa Denmark) or http://www.cerebrals.org/jcti/index.html (made by a psychometrician - this one will take awhile to complete)
(edited 8 years ago)

I know of only one online whose methodology is both MENSA-derived and unsullied by any commercial agenda: http://www.iqtest.dk/main.swf
I just took the OP's test in literally three minutes and was told my IQ is 153 :lol:
I just took the OP's test in literally three minutes and was told my IQ is 153 :lol:

i do wonder how it calculates IQ lmao

edit: i only answered 11 questions and it told me my IQ is 130.
(edited 8 years ago)
I would hate to take an IQ test as although I know I wouldn't do well on an IQ test, I'd rather have the ability to doubt than to know for certain that I have a low IQ.
I think it probably gives a score to speed and a score to correct answers and then has a corresponding IQ for the total :dontknow:

I'm going with 153 from now on though :lol:
Reply 15

Free, online IQ tests are not very reliable. By contrast, formally administered IQ tests by psychologists and high IQ societies are highly valid. Some (see the two quoted posts below, for instance) claim that IQ tests are not an accurate measure of intelligence and/or that they're unreliable.

However, the evidence suggests otherwise. As Professor Linda Gottfredson of the University of Delaware says in this excellent piece on IQ: "Despite some popular assertions, a single factor for intelligence, called g, can be measured with IQ tests and does predict success in life". Indeed, IQ is the single best predictor of job performance.

It is also very well correlated with academic achievement, with one 2007 study which included more than 70,000 British children finding a 0.81 correlation between general intelligence and GCSE results. Moreover, there is now wide agreement that IQ is correlated with mortality and survival, with those having higher IQs being more likely to live longer.

Additionally, IQ has been found to correlate well with certain types of Elementary Cognitive Tasks (ECTs), suggesting that processing speed, inspection time and attention span may in part explain differences in IQ.

And, perhaps most importantly, IQ tests measuring “different” abilities such as spatial and verbal abilities have been found to correlate with each other, demonstrating the existence of a general intelligence factor, g.

Stability of IQ is not perfect, of course, as environmental factors do play a role in explaining the variance of IQ and, as they become less and less important (genetics accounts for around 50% of the variance in IQ in early age before accounting for around 80% in adults), it is conceivable that slight changes in IQ will be observed. Nevertheless, as Ian Deary and colleagues state in a 2010 review: "Individual differences in human intelligence are among the most robust observations in psychology. They are quite stable in rank order throughout development, and even over long time spans. A single 45-minute test of general intelligence had a correlation of 0.63 (0.73 when disattenuated for restriction of range) in people tested twice, at ages 11 and then 79 years."

The bottom line is that IQ is a highly reliable and accurate measure of what we implicitly acknowledge to be intelligence. Some people have tried to get round this politically incorrect fact by trying to redefine intelligence, but that's mere sophistry.

Original post by Plagioclase
Free online IQ tests are very unreliable, the results are basically meaningless. Real IQ tests are 'reliable' in the sense that they give you an accurate IQ score... but your IQ score doesn't really tell you much about your intelligence.

As above.

(edited 8 years ago)

I just went through and deliberately answered every question wrongly (taking ages).

It still tried to get me to "Show your friends how smart you are by placing an official badge on your blog, profile or forums!"

My IQ is 74 :party:
Original post by PQ

My IQ is 74.

That sounds about right.

Spoiler

Original post by viddy9

Reply 19
As above.

what did you score on the formal test?

Latest

Trending

Trending