Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a student in the UK, currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry in year 12. I really want to study two things at university, Physics and Mandarin (I'm semi-conversationally fluent, owing to my Chinese mum) unfortunately there aren't really any such courses. I've looked into things like flexible combined honours but the only university I'd really consider which offers this is Exeter. I've also tried to find courses that would allow a year abroad in China but I could only find ones at Liverpool, which isn't really ideal for me. I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas as to options I could pursue?
    Thanks.

EDIT: (I dunno if you're supposed to leave an edit history) Isn't ideal, it is definitely not ideal for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Su1cidalduck)
    Hi, I'm a student in the UK, currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry in year 12. I really want to study two things at university, Physics and Mandarin (I'm semi-conversationally fluent, owing to my Chinese mum) unfortunately there aren't really any such courses. I've looked into things like flexible combined honours but the only university I'd really consider which offers this is Exeter. I've also tried to find courses that would allow a year abroad in China but I could only find ones at Liverpool, which isn't really ideal for me. I was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas as to options I could pursue?
    Thanks.

EDIT: (I dunno if you're supposed to leave an edit history) Isn't ideal, it is definitely not ideal for me.
    Hey! Physics applicant here. I know that in the University of Edinburgh you can pick some modules outside of the physics and maths departments in years 1 and 2, and these include chinese modules. There is no place that offers dual honours in physics and chinese that I know of in the UK. Something you could do as well is join the Chinese Society at which ever university you end up in (i think pretty much all unis have a chinese soc), i am sure they will do loads of stuff that you might be interested in. Hope this helps and good luck with your application next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PLM98)
    Hey! Physics applicant here. I know that in the University of Edinburgh you can pick some modules outside of the physics and maths departments in years 1 and 2, and these include chinese modules. There is no place that offers dual honours in physics and chinese that I know of in the UK. Something you could do as well is join the Chinese Society at which ever university you end up in (i think pretty much all unis have a chinese soc), i am sure they will do loads of stuff that you might be interested in. Hope this helps and good luck with your application next year!
    Thank you so much for your reply
    I have heard about the Chinese societies but I was a bit worried that they would just be for people who could speak Chinese to a way higher level than I can; they're definitely something that I am interested in joining though.
    I hope you're also successful in getting into your desired uni
    Have a nice day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Su1cidalduck)
    Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't really seem to find any physics and chinese degrees, the only thing I could suggest is to choose your optional modules as chinese modules however this presents 2 problems

1. the options available may be too basic if you're semi fluent (depending on where you go)
    2. Uses up modules you might of wanted to explore different areas of physics like astro, theory etc (example I chose in first year a additional advanced maths module and a medical imaging module, astro ones were also available)

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok I see, I guess I'll just have to make some sacrifices.

Thanks for all your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.