Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was recently interested in applying for an apprenticeship but have a couple of questions about my eligibility for an apprenticeship and eligibility for funding an apprenticeship. I know you can't get funding for an apprenticeship if you have completed a degree but my question is can you if you have been to a University and only completed one year? (Receiving a "certificate of higher education"). I am 23 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dystrex)
    Hi, I was recently interested in applying for an apprenticeship but have a couple of questions about my eligibility for an apprenticeship and eligibility for funding an apprenticeship. I know you can't get funding for an apprenticeship if you have completed a degree but my question is can you if you have been to a University and only completed one year? (Receiving a "certificate of higher education". I am 23 years old.
    A certificate of higher education is a level 4 qualification, higher apprenticeships are also a level 4. This rules out funding for you for all level 4 higher apprenticeships and below.

However, there are some leeways, sponsored degree apprenticeships are quasi level 5 in some cases. Note: that doesn't include foundation degree apprenticeships.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...pprenticeships

If you visit that website and scroll down, those are all apprenticeships that offer a degree of some sort.

Another point, I believe it's up to you to declare your certificate or not, but on the other hand be prepared to demonstrate what you've done post sixth-form or otherwise, and how you spent your time during that period.

Technically you're eligible for all apprenticeships, you're just not eligible for funding, big firms may take you on and pay for your training out of their pocket if you demonstrate you're a excellent applicant.

Good luck, I'm in the same position as you.

ReputationRep:
    any level of a degree is too highly qualified iv had this same issue and got refused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    any level of a degree is too highly qualified iv had this same issue and got refused
    How many years of uni did you complete?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinglay)
    How many years of uni did you complete?
    iv done over a year now, 4 months until im a year 2 student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    iv done over a year now, 4 months until im a year 2 student
    Read my post above, you're eligible for degree sponsored apprenticeships (level 5), but not higher apprenticeships (level 4).

If you finish off your second year, only then you will ineligible for all apprenticeships in terms of funding as you'll hold a diploma of higher education (level 5) and not a certificate.

I know for sure that Capgemini accepts people who have finished their first year since I have emailed them.

edit: I'm pretty sure you don't even hold a cert.he if you're in your first year, you only get one after you finish year one, which you haven't. Email your student registry and ask if you hold a cert.he. If not, then you are eligble for all higher apprenticeships and above.

ReputationRep:

certificate

ReputationRep:
    but i do my degree online so it works slightly different, my certificate was for the certCE business studies, so you can stop when you complete this or you can continue with the full degree which i am doing
    the certCE is first 5 modules of the full degree

ReputationRep:
    which ever company you wish to apply with just give the HR department an email, call or tweet and confirm it with them

it saves you the whole application process if they just refuse you in later stages because of this

ReputationRep:
    Not all companies rely on funding for their apprenticeships.

Bigger companies, with bigger apprentice programmes may still accept you. It's more the degree funding if you have completed one they will be bothered by (so if you already have a completed degree.)

For example the apprenticeship I'm on, as long as you haven't completed a degree will still take you on for a degree apprenticeship. (I know of one person who was in the process of submitting final work for an OU degree, but because they hadn't completed it at application, could still apply)

You can also apply for lower level apprenticeships (there are people with degrees doing advanced apprenticeships) This may not be the norm, but it is possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.