Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Toughest video games you've ever completed? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Title speaks for itself, folks. You can also include games you know you almost finished, but kept getting your ass handed to you by the last few bosses. If you completed a certain old game on an emulator and used save states, please mention it by the side.

I'm going to narrow mine down to a top ten.

R-Type 3 (SNES)
    Alien Soldier (Mega Drive, played on Wii)
    Revenge of Shinobi (Mega Drive)
    Gunstar Heroes (on extreme mode, Mega Drive)
    Bangai-o Spirits (Nintendo DS)
    Moonstone (MS-DOS emu)
    Resogun (on veteran mode, PS3)
    Super Fantasy Zone (Mega Drive)
    Castlevania SOTN (PS1)
    OutRun 1986 (Dreamcast)

ReputationRep:
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours (Mega Drive). The old games were harder because there was no option to save and reload/restart from a checkpoint if you died - once you were dead and you'd used up your continues, game over, no ifs no buts

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter :afraid: goddamn you Quidditch Practice lol

ReputationRep:
    Killzone 2

ReputationRep:
    Others I've just remembered include...

Demon's Souls (PS3)
    Earthworm Jim HD (PS3)
    Gravity Crash (PS3)
    Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (PS3)
    Disruptor (PS1)

ReputationRep:
    Battletoads :zomg:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I kid, that game was impossible :lol:

I completed the first few levels of ghosts n goblins lmao. Took me around 6 months to complete the 1st level. I also played some super mario lost levels which were really difficult.

Others: Megaman, Contra

In terms of modern games I can't really think of any, they're all pretty easy to me. I start most games on the hardest difficulty to elongate my playthrough. I remember tlou was quite difficult actually.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Demon's souls - valley of defilement was disgustingly difficult
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls II DLC
    Bloodborne DLC
    World at War on Veteran solo

Tekken 5 on Ultra hard - Jinpachi is still one of the toughest fighting game bosses; it took me hours!

(Original post by noggins)
    Others I've just remembered include...

Demon's Souls (PS3)
    Earthworm Jim HD (PS3)
    Gravity Crash (PS3)
    Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom (PS3)
    Disruptor (PS1)
    Since Demon's Souls is part of my favourite 'series' of games I have to ask, what is your opinion of the game?

ReputationRep:
    Ico. It took me months.

ReputationRep:
    Of the more mainstream games
    Alien isolation on hardest was pretty rough.
    Super meat boy got torturous towards the end.

Toughest win Dungeons of Dredmor on hardest. Due to the permanent death.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Styx: Master of Shadows on Goblin mode.
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    There was an Action Man game on the PS1. I had the PS2 and used the PS1 disc so I couldn't save anything onto the memory cards meaning I had to complete it in one sitting (or just not turn the PS2 off which my mum hated) and I nearly did.

ReputationRep:
    Wolfenstein: The New Order on Uber is :/
    Super Mario Bros Lost Levels took months
    Fallout 3 on Survival, although mainly because of the games infinite glitches.
    Ghosts n Goblins

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Styx: Master of Shadows on Goblin mode.
    Good call ! I got as far as chapter 5(goblin mode) then stopped for some reason its a great stealth game damn tough though! I should really finish it as it was a tough getting that far.

ReputationRep:
    Catherine.

The damn puzzles just got harder and harder and I had to resort to watching second-by-second YouTube tutorials to pass 'em.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Good call ! I got as far as chapter 5(goblin mode) then stopped for some reason its a great stealth game damn tough though! I should really finish it as it was a tough getting that far !
    Very tough. :lol: Yes, finish it! It took me ages to finish the game though.

ReputationRep:
    Probably dank souls cus it was so frustrating getting surprise buttsecs from red phantoms when you're just about to complete a level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rockstar North)
    Battletoads :zomg:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I kid, that game was impossible :lol:

I completed the first few levels of ghosts n goblins lmao. Took me around 6 months to complete the 1st level. I also played some super mario lost levels which were really difficult.

Others: Megaman, Contra

In terms of modern games I can't really think of any, they're all pretty easy to me. I start most games on the hardest difficulty to elongate my playthrough. I remember tlou was quite difficult actually.

Did you beat Contra using the Konami code or not?

I've never really got round to trying the original Battletoads, but I did used to play Battlemaniacs on a mate's SNES in a previous life and don't remember ever beating the first level due to the limited amount of health and lives.

I completed most of MegaMan 1 on my Wii a few years ago. I got up to the boss rush and this one git that slips my mind I could not beat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Demon's souls - valley of defilement was disgustingly difficult
    Dark Souls
    Dark Souls II DLC
    Bloodborne DLC
    World at War on Veteran solo

Tekken 5 on Ultra hard - Jinpachi is still one of the toughest fighting game bosses; it took me hours!

Since Demon's Souls is part of my favourite 'series' of games I have to ask, what is your opinion of the game?

It's also my favourite of the Souls games too. I've debated with someone who pre-order's them every release that it's got the best level and boss design, plus it's more challenging that Dark Souls as there's no bonfire checkpoints. On the other hand, you can grind tons of grass to heal if you've got the time to do so

ReputationRep:
    The original Super Mario Bros. No joke. And keep in mind this is Virtual Console, where I can abuse savestates.

Pokemon RBY is going to be fun...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noggins)
    It's also my favourite of the Souls games too. I've debated with someone who pre-order's them every release that it's got the best level and boss design, plus it's more challenging that Dark Souls as there's no bonfire checkpoints. On the other hand, you can grind tons of grass to heal if you've got the time to do so
    Yeah, after beating Dark Souls I thought I would breeze through Demon's Souls; and I did for some levels, but there were some brutal places such as Valley of Defilement and the boss old king allant, who I still haven't defeated the legit way.
    I always says Dark souls' bosses are harder and Demon's Souls level progression is harder.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.