Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nomenclature help Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When naming compounds when do you add the prefix oxo for ketones and hydroxy for alcohols

ReputationRep:
    hydroxy is used when there is also a carboxyl group, e.g. 2-hydroxypropanoic acid.

for ketones you hardly ever use the oxo prefix, in fact in A level chem im pretty sure its never used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    hydroxy is used when there is also a carboxyl group, e.g. 2-hydroxypropanoic acid.

for ketones you hardly ever use the oxo prefix, in fact in A level chem im pretty sure its never used.
    Right, thanks. What if if you had, butane for example and you had ethyl on the 2nd carbon and methyl on 3rd carbon. Would you label ethyl with the lowest number or methyl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Right, thanks. What if if you had, butane for example and you had ethyl on the 2nd carbon and methyl on 3rd carbon. Would you label ethyl with the lowest number or methyl?
    the longest carbon chain in that compound is 5, so it would be 2,3-dimethylpentane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Diplomat.)
    the longest carbon chain in that compound is 5, so it would be 2,3-dimethylpentane
    Ohhh, ok maybe that was a bad example. What about something like nonane or decane with the 2 branches in the middle e.g. If you label from either end one will have a lower no. then the other

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, ok maybe that was a bad example. What about something like nonane or decane with the 2 branches in the middle e.g. If you label from either end one will have a lower no. then the other
    I think you would do the ethyl with the smallest number because isn't it alphabetical order for the prefixes? I may be wrong thoigh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You put the smaller number with ethyl because aplhabetical order

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellacappio)
    I think you would do the ethyl with the smallest number because isn't it alphabetical order for the prefixes? I may be wrong thoigh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait - that does apply when naming the compound. But i mean which one would be attached to the lowest carbon

ReputationRep:
    Whichever gives you the lowest number at the start.

e.g. 4-ethyl-2-methylhexane rather than 3-ethyl-5-methylhexane.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.