supernerd007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

I have applied to study Graphics Design at Nottingham Trent University, I have had an email requesting me to send them a Power point presentation of 12 pieces of my best work, however as I have only studied Business for A-Level and I am now studying Access to Media which only has one unit for Graphics Design and unfortunately doesn't have any Art units, means I only have very few pieces to submit for my portfolio,

To give some background info about myself, I am 23 years old and have been working for the past years in a restaurant since leaving college and I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and didn't have a huge portfolio but still had an offer?
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by supernerd007)
Hey,

I have applied to study Graphics Design at Nottingham Trent University, I have had an email requesting me to send them a Power point presentation of 12 pieces of my best work, however as I have only studied Business for A-Level and I am now studying Access to Media which only has one unit for Graphics Design and unfortunately doesn't have any Art units, means I only have very few pieces to submit for my portfolio,

To give some background info about myself, I am 23 years old and have been working for the past years in a restaurant since leaving college and I am wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and didn't have a huge portfolio but still had an offer?
You are going to seriously struggle to prove to them that you have what it takes to study the subject without anything to show them. How much time do you have? I'd suggest you try and get a couple more pieces done before you submit it. Best of luck.
supernerd007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
You are going to seriously struggle to prove to them that you have what it takes to study the subject without anything to show them. How much time do you have? I'd suggest you try and get a couple more pieces done before you submit it. Best of luck.
Hey,

Thanks for your reply I have one month to submit it. I only have a few pieces on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop which are pretty basic.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

Thanks for your reply I have one month to submit it. I only have a few pieces on Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop which are pretty basic.
Well, this is really not my field, so I will summon someone whose field it is.
Roving Fish
I think you will need to get your skates on, but a month is longer than I expected.
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi supernerd007

Your portfolio will be a talking point during the interview. Usually the academic staff will have a look through while you have a tour and then ask you to explain what's happening - this demonstrates your existing graphic design knowledge.

Interviewers love hand drawn work, so if you have any then put it in. BUT it's not essential. If you can work on some things from a website called BriefBox (http://briefbox.me/), you'll fill a layout pad quite well. If you give yourself 1 hour to respond to a brief and just leave it for a day - then go back and work it up. You start to build a portfolio very quickly using this method.

Photoshop and Illustrator skills don't matter at the moment, you'll learn and be taught them throughout the course. People on my course have come so far by just playing and having a go.

Ultimately if you don't get these back, you're going to struggle in your interview as CLR said. Remember that graphic design is as much about ideas as it is actual design. Look at all the things that you can do that counts as design.

Best of luck.
eei
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Portfolio is essential to assess your suitability for the course. Perhaps look up online some example portfolios for your chosen course? There's a plenty of stuff on Flicker.
In my opinion you should do a foundation diploma first if you have nothing to show. I don't think even a short course in portfolio preparation would be of any benefit if you don't really create much. Good luck regardless - use the next few weeks to actually make stuff like illustration or posters. Forget about software.
EmilyRoseSharp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey,

I understand how you feel! I finished my art A level last year so I've had little time to produce artwork since then.
First things first - I wouldn't worry too much!
Include all of the pieces you have done, perhaps some processes and research to help back up, rough sketches and whatnot.
What universities look for is potential - not fully blown graphic designers or illustrators.
I have quite a minimal portfolio, but I've had comments from interviewers saying that it's strong - it's not necessarily the amount, but the quality. As long as you achieve the 12 pieces (which is easier than it seems!), you'll be perfectly fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
15.1%
I'm not sure (16)
3.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (147)
33.64%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.6%
I'm not a current university student (201)
46%

Watched Threads