Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU: in or out? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    There are some benefits that the EU brings such as free trade and an open market however the organisation interferes far too much with rules and regulation in the UK. As a purely economic (not monetary and political) grouping, the European Union works however it doesn't when it is trying to evolve into a federal super state without borders.

ReputationRep:
    Out. Britain doesn't need tin-pot Eastern countries to have a say on how our country is run, particularly in terms of statehand outs and immigration. The only benefits I can possibly see in regards to staying in the EU is free movement for UK citizens, and the trade opportunities it provides. However, I'm sure deals could be struck between USA/China/India (which have faster growing, and more influential economies) that will replace the current trade treaties that we have with the EU. As for free movement, the British passport is one of the most powerful passports in the world, so leaving the EU won't necessarily impact negatively on how much we can travel.

ReputationRep:
    Out, of course. They need us much more than we need them. I'm an imperialist all the way and while this is certainly no substitution for the loss of our Empire, it would certainly begin to restore a lot of sovereignty to Britain. My personal feelings aside, Brexit will result in huge economical growth within a short timeframe. Businesses threatening to pull out are either bluffing or ridiculous, and we would be able to negotiate free-trade charters without having to pay literally billions in membership costs anyway. I heard some nutter on Sunday Politics this week going on about how things like plane ticket prices would skyrocket if we left the EU. This completely moronic prediction sums it all up for me, if I'm honest. While this is only one example, it shows that there is a lot of fear from an economical standpoint, which is coming from scaremongering EU supporters. There is already an international infrastructure in place for air travel, plus regional airlines and even "local" international flights. Leaving the EU won't suddenly cause the demand for such services to simply cease, and if some idiot CEO wants to pull out then I say let them, someone more intelligent will come to fill the gap they leave in the market.
    I could go on and on about the countless reasons we should leave the EU as soon as humanly possible, ranging from increased national security (made immeasurably more important in the light of Daesh), to the abysmal handling of the Eurozone crisis, but there is something much more important; we are a superpower, the bloc is a generic band of majorly insignificant countries. We are what brings value to the EU, and we do not need them. It's as simple as that. Look at any economical graph related to the EU and that much is blatantly clear.
    This whole thing about "free trade" is hugely misunderstood. The idea behind the EU is almost as ridiculous as communism- the trade principles are built around a utopian concept- it's supposed to promote competition between businesses within the EU in order to create major players in the various global markets/industries, by stimulating easy and efficient trade. But in order for it to work, every country in the EU has to work synonymously, which is utterly ridiculous. Trade has to be almost "circular", creating a linked, bloc-wide system.

And it doesn't ****ing work. Big surprise there.

I found this interesting little graph. If my words didn't convince you that staying in the EU is, from a financial standpoint, well... retarded... maybe this will:

Name:  baml note eu.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  43.5 KB
    Oh, and one more thing- AFAIK, we have voted against 72 regulations imposed on us by the EU, and we have been outvoted 72 times.

ReputationRep:
    I think we are better off out of the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cpt. Josh)
    Out, of course. They need us much more than we need them.
    Why is this even an argument?

"They're just as ****ed as us if we leave."

Are we just leaving to spite them? Ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Why is this even an argument?

"They're just as ****ed as us if we leave."

Are we just leaving to spite them? Ludicrous.
    Well done, you managed to read the first two sentences of a political debate piece, which (if you'd managed to get onto the parts with the big boy words) you would have noticed that I classified as being my own personal views and unrelated to the argument. Maybe when your reading age advances you'll be able to form a coherent counterargument.

ReputationRep:
    Out!

ReputationRep:
    Out

ReputationRep:
    Out for me.
    • TSR Support Team

Out for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Protect the most vulnerable by cutting off our source of skilled workers? Or protect the most vulnerable by ruining our economy? Protect our most vulnerable by taking away the biggest source of science funding in the country? Protect our most vulnerable by damaging our economy?

How exactly is leaving the EU going to protect anyone?
    Our people are the skilled workers, if everyone is skilled nobody is! Bringing in skilled workers damages our wages just look at the USA in comparison their skilled salaries are so much higher it's ridiculous, unlike their unskilled salaries that are super low, and why? Because America has extremely strict immigration laws while simultaneously doing very little to prevent mass unskilled illegal immigration from Mexico, this has resulted in a growing divide between the skilled and the unskilled, the UK's gap is growing less because we have skilled workers pouring in from Spain etc which damages British skilled workers, and is leading to more British people leaving to green pastures in Australia etc. If we stay in the EU there won't be any British people left in 100 years we will be a nation of EU nationals / Pakistanis etc. This will lead to a race war, trust me.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Shake it all about.
    I clicked this thread with the intention of making this comment. It seems you beat me by over a week :lol:

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQJVKP3YlM

ReputationRep:
    the EU is failing. the EU is an outdated protectionist institution which hinders international free trade. that is the whole point of the EU. although we trade freely with europe via the EU, we are PREVENTED from free trading with every other country due to this.

let's assume that if we left the EU, the EU would tariff us.
    we would tariff them.
    and it would look ridiculous to tariff us in the first place if they don't tariff turkey or mexico. the EU would look like it is punishing the UK for not subjecting itself to the political will of the EU. that would go down really badly internationally. that would lose credit for the EU and would catalyse its demise.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think we have a solid chance of winning this referendum. Every invoter I've spoken to has the same dry, banal and loose economic argument of "muh trade". If we find a good, firm and watertight argument that British trade will go on or even improve, that gets rid of their only argument.

Follow this argument up with presenting the threat to democracy that the EU poses - watch Rees-Mogg's speech for ideas. Nigel Farage also has great speeches you can draw from.Finally, top it off with a strong appeal to pride, dignity and hope.

I genuinely believe most of the invoters will be an easy push to leavevoters with the above method. Supplement this with slick infographics that you post to Facebook. Treat invoters kindly - don't call them cucks or bully them. Chances are they'll be one of us soon enough. Be magnanimous in victory too. Remember that this is not a usual social justice issue. This is not left versus right, hippies versus fascists, identity politics or anything similar. This is about Britons banding together and pulling our country out of an overbearing, undemocratic union, and marching forwards together to a glorious future.With all the above said, let's get some nice slick infographics posted that people can share on Facebook, and start developing the argument I outlined above.

P.S - Thread theme forever until we leave https://youtu.be/MbsuAbTTsV8

ReputationRep:
    Out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The UK enjoys tariff free trade with lots of countries that aren't in Europe. And the EU, for it's part, has dozens of free trade agreements and imports 1.6 trillion dollars worth of goods from countries that are not in the EU. (Biggest importers are the US, China, Russia)

This idea that upon leaving the EU trade with the EU will be decimated and so bound up with tariffs is nonsense. Just more scaremongering.
    I think the UK will manage economically wether we're in or out of the EU (that's not to say there are no economic challenges associated with either option but rather that we can overcome them). For me this seems more of a political/philosophical question than an economic one.

ReputationRep:
    Out

ReputationRep:
    in... I can see the appeal of out but so many jobs would be lost or put in jeopardy, not sure it would be worth it :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm in, there is however a good article by Michael Gove, who is for leaving http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02...backing-leave/ worth a read!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.