Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with revision? Join the TSR session every hour!! From 7am-2am. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pokémontrainer)
    Ty - :rip: :cry:
    And thank you :emo: - well your exams on limited sleep can't have gone that bad if you're going into 4th year? Good luck for 4th year though, and that's a harsh sleeping schedule. :eek:
    You're right! They went surprisingly well, but then again the pass mark is 50% and 6 weeks of waking at 6am and working to midnight with a few hours for breakfast lunch and dinner meant some of the later exams I'd prepared for Ahhh pre clin isn't that bad, I just messed around a fair bit during semester time and then it hit me I'd fail so revision break was hell!

Clinical years are sooooo much better! It's a bit like a job so you don't mind the sleep schedule and you finally link all the stuff you've learnt and it's basically all in the hospital so you're around fascinating patients 24/7. No more 3 hour dissections in a cold room looking to isolate the cranial nerves with some demonstrator barking down your ear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygomaticus)
    You're right! They went surprisingly well, but then again the pass mark is 50% and 6 weeks of waking at 6am and working to midnight with a few hours for breakfast lunch and dinner meant some of the later exams I'd prepared for Ahhh pre clin isn't that bad, I just messed around a fair bit during semester time and then it hit me I'd fail so revision break was hell!

Clinical years are sooooo much better! It's a bit like a job so you don't mind the sleep schedule and you finally link all the stuff you've learnt and it's basically all in the hospital so you're around fascinating patients 24/7. No more 3 hour dissections in a cold room looking to isolate the cranial nerves with some demonstrator barking down your ear!
    Medicine sounds super intensive, ngl. Hope all goes well!

ReputationRep:
    Those 15 markers didn't make me sleepy. Now just feel my heart racing eveeeeen faster. :sigh:
    Guess I'll just read over my essay plans now. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    Medicine sounds super intensive, ngl. Hope all goes well!
    Thanks and to you too! It's really not that bad, I naively went out too much during semester time during years 1 + 2. I kept living life as though I was still in freshers week and it meant that the end of the year was hell whereas others I'm sure had an easier time!

ReputationRep:
    About to go and do an M1, I'm just going to keep doing them until I improve!
    -just finished and only just got on the border of a B...such an easy paper too! 😡

ReputationRep:
    I'll do a chem legacy paper, then I'll decide what to do afterwards

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and to you too! It's really not that bad, I naively went out too much during semester time during years 1 + 2. I kept living life as though I was still in freshers week and it meant that the end of the year was hell whereas others I'm sure had an easier time!
    I will try to not make the same mistake come this September xD!!

ReputationRep:
    I feel quite prepared for tomorrow's chem exam, I might look at AS stuff very briefly just in case. I plan on doing a couple more papers and maybe more NMR practice Next, I think I'll do another paper then briefly look at the psychology studies I'll use for that exam tomorrow :work:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kamara7)
    I feel quite prepared for tomorrow's chem exam, I might look at AS stuff very briefly just in case. I plan on doing a couple more papers and maybe more NMR practice Next, I think I'll do another paper then briefly look at the psychology studies I'll use for that exam tomorrow :work:
    pls whats rhe difference between phenol and phenyl can u give me an example?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    pls whats rhe difference between phenol and phenyl can u give me an example?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phenol has an oh directly attached to the benzene ring. It isn't an alcohol.

Phenyl? Like phenylbenzene?

That is when an nh2 group is attached to the benzene ring.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, by looking at as you mean ch2? I know ch2 questions come up in ch4 but cba

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Phenol has an oh directly attached to the benzene ring. It isn't an alcohol.

Phenyl? Like phenylbenzene?

That is when an nh2 group is attached to the benzene ring.
    oops meant phenyl and benzene

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Sorry, by looking at as you mean ch2? I know ch2 questions come up in ch4 but cba
    Um, I guess all of AS, but a lot of unit 2 is in unit 4 anyway, I'm just gonna look at things like atom economy (as % yield has come up) and stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranz)
    oops meant phenyl and benzene

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Benzene is literally C6H6, Phenyl is C6H5- (just to clarify, the '-' is a dash, not a minus charge) which is just benzene attached to something (one of the hydrogens is substituted for something like an amine group). It's like alkane and alkyl, alkyl groups are just alkanes attached to something: C2H6 is an alkane, but C2H5- is an alkyl group.

ReputationRep:
    Benzene is literally C6H6, Phenyl is C6H5- (just to clarify, the '-' is a dash, not a minus charge) which is just benzene attached to something (one of the hydrogens is substituted for something like an amine group). It's like alkane and alkyl, alkyl groups are just alkanes attached to something: C2H6 is an alkane, but C2H5- is an alkyl group.
    Holy crapballs, thanks for this. I was entirely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    I will try to not make the same mistake come this September xD!!
    Best of luck and I hope it goes well! Personally I've absolutely loved it and I've got 2 more years to go, so long may it last! Remember to keep a healthy work life balance and genuinely it's been the best time of my life and I hope it'll be the same for you!

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck and I hope it goes well! Personally I've absolutely loved it and I've got 2 more years to go, so long may it last! Remember to keep a healthy work life balance and genuinely it's been the best time of my life and I hope it'll be the same for you!
    Thank you so much I'm sure you're going to make an incredible doctor !!

ReputationRep:
    X
    Thanks for your kindness. :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Same. I am starting seriously now though.
    Ah good to hear - did you manage to get much done?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well I continued working on Chemistry this afternoon + I'm currently taking a break untill.. 8:05 then I'll start on Acylation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.