Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with revision? Join the TSR session every hour!! From 7am-2am. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So after that C3, and what happened with
    M1, almost sure in gunna have to retake next year.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling the exact same, which board are you?
    (Original post by Thomith;[url="tel:65973619")
    65973619[/url]]So after that C3, and what happened with
    M1, almost sure in gunna have to retake next year.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=TheTeresaLover;65972898]
    (Original post by Hopefulmedic15)

Hi! Thank you so much for your advice and for sharing your way of doing past papers!!! I resat both chem1 and chem2 too, and I did all the past papers for chem1 (from 2002 to 2015 - lol) and I noticed that as I got closer to the recent papers, some of the phrases just became second nature, but that doesn't seem to be the case with chem5, unfortunately:sad:

And yes you are right! The recent papers, especially from 2013 onwards, have become harder but since I haven't been getting good grades on some tests, I might as well do them from 2010 onwards to feel satisfied .

Good luck for Chem and Biology and I do pray that you do well in both your exams and any other exams that you've got At least you do not have chem and business studies on the same day like I do
    Thank you and good luck in all your exams too!! (You're right, I would hate having two exams in one day...)

I like doing the ones from 2010-2012 first too because their questions become the 'easy questions' in the later papers so if you pick up how to answer them then they become easy marks that you don't have to think about during the harder exams they set now and have extra time to attempt the more difficult questions they throw your way!

Just keep going with chemistry 5! What I found most difficult to wrap my head around in chem 5, but helped once I learnt it properly is this:

• Make sure you really understand what causes an E0 value to be +ve or -ve in the electrochemical series and how changing the conditions of the reaction changes the equilibrium and the E0 value.

• Make sure you understand what and why certain transition metal ions have certain reactions (e.g. How to react CO3^-2 with 2+ and 3+ ions).

• Learn your colours!!

• Memorise the reactions between your oxides and the basic and acidic reagents!

• Learn the definitions for the born haber cycle and what affects the size of different enthalpy values.

These things, once they become second nature, make chem 5 far more easy to deal with! Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hopefulmedic15;65974283]
    (Original post by TheTeresaLover)

Thank you and good luck in all your exams too!! (You're right, I would hate having two exams in one day...)

I like doing the ones from 2010-2012 first too because their questions become the 'easy questions' in the later papers so if you pick up how to answer them then they become easy marks that you don't have to think about during the harder exams they set now and have extra time to attempt the more difficult questions they throw your way!

Just keep going with chemistry 5! What I found most difficult to wrap my head around in chem 5, but helped once I learnt it properly is this:

• Make sure you really understand what causes an E0 value to be +ve or -ve in the electrochemical series and how changing the conditions of the reaction changes the equilibrium and the E0 value.

• Make sure you understand what and why certain transition metal ions have certain reactions (e.g. How to react CO3^-2 with 2+ and 3+ ions).

• Learn your colours!!

• Memorise the reactions between your oxides and the basic and acidic reagents!

• Learn the definitions for the born haber cycle and what affects the size of different enthalpy values.

These things, once they become second nature, make chem 5 far more easy to deal with! Good luck for tomorrow, I'm sure you'll do great!
    Hey, thanks for your wishes!

And OMG!!!! These bullet points are so helpful - I knew I was going wrong but didn't know where - this just summarises my weakness and the hard topics!

And also, do you mind explaining the bold bit to me, please? I do not really understand how that works

ReputationRep:
    How did peoples core 3 edexcel go?

Found it decent but needed like 100ums and dont think i got it

Did 2a simplify after finding dy/dx!?!??! The question stressed me out....everything else was okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AW97)
    I'm feeling the exact same, which board are you?
    Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry 12 pm until 1 pm. Going to get the last five pages of C7 out of the way before the exam tomorrow, then I can spend the rest of the day doing a past paper and reviewing everything.

ReputationRep:
    Finished my first further maths paper of the day. Going to have lunch now and then start on my second. Aiming to finish four today.

ReputationRep:
    C3 is done, dunno what grade boundaries would be like though :dontknow: Anyway, I need to practice chemistry for that exam tomorrow, I hate that they're bunched up like this >.>

ReputationRep:
    time to do F335 January 2013

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for your wishes!

And OMG!!!! These bullet points are so helpful - I knew I was going wrong but didn't know where - this just summarises my weakness and the hard topics!

And also, do you mind explaining the bold bit to me, please? I do not really understand how that works
    No worries! Once you figure out why the reactions are happening like they are, it's easier to pick up on what affects the reactions so if they alter the conditions you know how the reaction will be affected.

To address the bit in bold, just like why do the 3+ ions form more acidic solutions and why they form hydroxides when they react with carbonate ions as apposed to 2+ ions that form formulas like CuCO3. How bidentate and multidentate ligands are more stable than unidentate ligands and why that is (i.e. Increase of entropy). How the ligand/its size affects the coordination number, shape and colour of the complex ion, etc.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    3 till 4, going to do review of everything in C7 and attempt some past paper questions.

Anybody have any C7 chemistry GCSE (OCR 21 century) tips for what sort of things that are vital to remember? I feel I mostly know the content but then I skim through a paper and a question just catches me out because the revision guide only very briefly covered something and so I didn't take it in properly.

ReputationRep:
    Time to do F335 June 2013

ReputationRep:
    30 minute nap and then
    F335 June 2013
    F335 June 2014
    F335 June 2015
    Then flashcards and reading through the book and then I'm done its revision today
    had enough

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be going over my biology notes for F215 for a couple of hours

Just got chem 5 2014&2015 left to do before tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    okay its my last chemistry exam tomorrow. We all know what we're aiming for. Im gonna prepare for the worst by completing my remaining june 2014 and 2015 papers. then memorise as many colours and periodicity equations as possible.

Good luck those sitting it tomoz.

ReputationRep:
    Well just gone rough unofficial mark scheme and did way worse than I thought for c3....messed up the first question by inexplicably multiplying the top and bottom of he bracket!?!??!

That's five marks gone ....probably got 60/75... Won't even be an A

Spent too much time revising the more difficult questions and then slipped up on the simple stuff....second uni choice it is then...damn it

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm going to begin by re-memorising all the colours + reactions, then I'll do catalysis + all that, then memorise periodicity + after that practice thermodynamics + redox. Once I've learnt everything then I'm going to be doing past papers until bedtime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philo-jitsu)
    Well just gone rough unofficial mark scheme and did way worse than I thought for c3....messed up the first question by inexplicably multiplying the top and bottom of he bracket!?!??!

That's five marks gone ....probably got 60/75... Won't even be an A

Spent too much time revising the more difficult questions and then slipped up on the simple stuff....second uni choice it is then...damn it
    60/75 is easily an a

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay so far have learnt-ish protein synthesis and meiosis, next going to try and do all gene tech and bio tech 😴 gotta really blitz this so I can somehow do a c4 tonight! Sending best wishes to all 👏🏾

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.