Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with revision? Join the TSR session every hour!! From 7am-2am. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goal101)
    Can anyone answer this question (biology aqa AS)
    a sample of epithelial tissue from the small intestine of an animal was analysed some of the cells had 8.4 units of DNA others only had only 4.2 units
    Yes. I think it's something to do with 8.4 = DNA already replicated at start of prophase or you could possibly get away with saying any stage other than telophase/ interphase.

thus 4.2 = DNA not replicated because cells are in interphase or maybe have just divided via mitosis?

Please check, I'm not 100% sure as this is from what I remember,
    hope this helps at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Oh, that's good! Hm, I might try it out on Monday - maybe it'll also help to see which subjects I should be spending more time on/whether I'm balancing things.
    The balancing definitely helps as well! I found I was spending 25% more time on Philosophy than anything else

ReputationRep:
    Can you please explain this. I am in Nigeria so I'm not sure whether the timings will correlate. Also I'm not on half term yet, I'm starting my mock 2 examinations tomorrow so after that (2 weeks after) I'd have the break but my school is having an easter retreat, so when do you think this timetable will work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goal101)
    Yeahhh that's what I thought aswell! Hope it's right! Thankyou

You're most welcome! Feel free to ask me if you are stuck in bio (or any other subjects - if I'm doing them )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by htrowslec)
    The balancing definitely helps as well! I found I was spending 25% more time on Philosophy than anything else
    This sounds like such a good idea! This might sound a little naive but did you set this up in excel with all the 'functions' (I have no idea what they're called) and some fancy graph or did you just roughly guess your percentage?

The way I'm making sure I spend equal time on everything is just by doing a subject per day. I've made a three week rota so that, fingers crossed, each subject gets equal weekday and weekend time.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, ofc you may. Well, for units 1+2 - I basically used classnotes alone to make lots of small flashcard type notes on every topic then tested myself by just covering it then reciting kinda thing but they took me absolutely ageeeeeeeeeesss. O_O But for unit 4 + 5, I'm using the youtube channel - "Mr.Pollock Biology" to build a basic understanding then I make my notes afterwards using the videos and several textbooks and classnotes .This helps as A2 stuff is a lot harder and then after I've done all of that I'll try and memorise them all. As for past papers, I haven't attempted a single A2 Biology past paper from the AQA website as of yet bc I haven't completed what I need to do. In all our exams at school we are given made up ones and I found the application questions which were presented to us incredibly difficult too. After I've finished my current biology revision, I'll do a past paper to see if I've improved in anyway and whether this technique works for me.
    Thanks for your advice!! I do feel you! I didn't make flashcards for biology last year but I did make notes for Unit 2 and though it did help me understand most of the concepts, it took me a very long time to complete them - and on top of that I hardly did like 3 past papers because EMPA took over!!! That meant that I did not practise application and didn't do as well in the exam!!! Need to spend more time on techniques!!

ReputationRep:
    Well... This week has been so uneventful. I've actually had a really fun weekend doing my ECs but not enough work so hopefully I'll start my '6 hour revision days' from tomorrow onwards!

I actually have to attend a Chinese Lantern Festival Gala thingy this afternoon because I'm actually performing so.... I'll just focus on getting my homework done for tomorrow which are a few Geography past paper questions.

ReputationRep:
    Completing my BUSS4 research log and then look over BUSS2 Past paer topics- 1hour. BUSS2 Past paper - 1 hour and 30 mins. Break at 2:15

ReputationRep:
    Going to revise unit 3 for History, hopefully for an 1 hour and 30 mins... I've done nothing so far this weekend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    lol that essay's been bugging you for ages & well done :five:are you aiming for an A* too by any chance? I feel the same to be quite frank, going to have to follow the timetable more strictly next week
    I knoww, so glad it's done now though- I actually finished writing it out this morning. XD - It took me way longer than it should've, hate being a slow writer. :emo: Thank you! :five:
    Yeah, hopefully we'll both be able to do just that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metapheonix)
    Are you doing A2 biology/ just revised in advanced haha?

Revising Biology now. Good luck to everyone with their exam revision.
    Yess, I'm doing A2 Biology! ^-^

Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Are flashcards worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by htrowslec)
    Oh okay, thank you v much- I'll definitely start tomorrow then + can I just ask if you included the amount of time you spent on your hwk as part of it too or just revision alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingfrizzy)
    Can you please explain this. I am in Nigeria so I'm not sure whether the timings will correlate. Also I'm not on half term yet, I'm starting my mock 2 examinations tomorrow so after that (2 weeks after) I'd have the break but my school is having an easter retreat, so when do you think this timetable will work?
    Um, I've absolutely no idea.. Well, I don't know what the time difference is between the U.K and Nigeria but you could still follow the timetable when you get back from school etc, even if the rest of us may be having dinner/asleep at the time. - If that makes sense. Bc the thread will still be open and you can still post, we'll just be slightly ahead/behind schedule- that's all! So, for example let's say we're all starting the 4:00pm session, if it's 2:00pm where you live then you can start the 2:30pm session/whatever. Don't know if that makes sense. >.< Basically I don't think it makes a huge difference, you just follow it according to your times bc it'd still work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Are flashcards worth it?
    Depends what subjects you're doing, if they're more factual subjects e.g.
    Biology/ History/ English/ Philosophy+Ethics I would recommend!

Otherwise, you would benefit most by improving you're understanding on other subjects and doing LOTS of past paper questions - I like to make files for questions specifically on each topic as often, the problem lies in one/ few specific areas.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Are flashcards worth it?
    Hmmm.. well, I made them last year and they took me hours beyond hours. They were v helpful when it came to the last week/few days since they were pocket-size..ish so you could just whip them out in the car etc but I'm not making them this year bc they just take so long and I think my time could be better spent on memorising stuff/past papers/improving exam technique. They literally took me so so so so long. XD They did turn out to be incredibly pretty + colourful + fab to look at which made memorisation that little bit easier and were helpful due to the condensed nature of stuff but no- not again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kholland)
    Well... This week has been so uneventful. I've actually had a really fun weekend doing my ECs but not enough work so hopefully I'll start my '6 hour revision days' from tomorrow onwards!

I actually have to attend a Chinese Lantern Festival Gala thingy this afternoon because I'm actually performing so.... I'll just focus on getting my homework done for tomorrow which are a few Geography past paper questions.
    That sounds exciting, have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I'm going to start on some parametric equations in the next block at 12:30pm.- Hopefully I'll get at least half way through the stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xs4)
    lol vectors are my worst enemy &also did some C4 today, how're you finding A2? (also what additional module are you doing)
    I do M1 this year (I did S1 last year), so I guess it really doesn't help that I don't like vectors XD. I don't do physics so I'm really not liking M1. I'll do a past paper on it today and see how much I don't know. I actually like C3 and C4, even though it can be annoying at times, like weaving trig into pretty much EVERY QUESTION. I miss C1 questions where it just says to rationalise the denominator

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. well, I made them last year and they took me hours beyond hours. They were v helpful when it came to the last week/few days since they were pocket-size..ish so you could just whip them out in the car etc but I'm not making them this year bc they just take so long and I think my time could be better spent on memorising stuff/past papers/improving exam technique. They literally took me so so so so long. XD They did turn out to be incredibly pretty + colourful + fab to look at which made memorisation that little bit easier and were helpful due to the condensed nature of stuff but no- not again.
    I appreciate this thread but my parents keep cautioning me about staying up late revising (up till around 2/3am) as it's supposedly not good for my health. They consider it as a consequence of not being focused enough during the day.

My quandary is, I like working around that time, it's actually peaceful - unlike during the day I can focus for longer than 20 mins -1hr for each session (it varies with focus/ energy levels).

I also suspect I need to improve on my efficiency - how would I ensure this?
    (often procrastinating and even charting my daily progress can take too long. )

Any thoughts/ advice would be much appreciated!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.