Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide between whether i should buy a 100% wool suit or one that is 50% wool and 50% polyester. I'm attending a wedding on the weekend.

I'll need it for an interview later in March too apart from that I don't think i'll be wearing it that much. Any advice is appreciated.

These are the one i have in mind, tailored fit.

http://www.next.co.uk/x57414s5

http://www.next.co.uk/x57418s1
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    it looks the same tbh, but the navy one caught my eye before i even looked at the second one

ReputationRep:
    Well 100% wool is generally the best quality but they are generally more expensive. Polyester suits with low wool content tend to get this shine to them which is generally seen as bad, I know some people seem to like this shine look but it's traditionally regarded as being of poor quality.

But if you're wearing it once, it really shouldn't matter. But considering it is only a £15 price jump for the 100% wool it seems to be your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    it looks the same tbh, but the navy one caught my eye before i even looked at the second one
    Lol they're both navy ahaha. Which one do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Wool is your best bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Wool is your best bet.
    Pure wool you mean right?

ReputationRep:
    the wool of a wooly mammoth i heard is pretty decent

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, polyester is a synthetic material and looks cheap.

Also I would always go for a 2nd hand suit (that's been barely used) over a new one unless you're willing to spend a lot of money.

With a 2nd hand suit, you can get a £500 suit for maybe £150. And make sure you get it tailored to YOU. Buy the right size in the chest and the length, then get the waist and the sleeves tailored to your exact body shape. It'll only got 20 quid or so.

There's no waste of money like an expensive suit that isn't tailored to your body.

SS

ReputationRep:
    Tom Ford

ReputationRep:
    pure wool in your circumstance but next time spend some real change and hit up a nice silk suit from a big name like

(Original post by Paktriot)
    Tom Ford
    or versace

ReputationRep:
    Linen for the summer, wool for the winter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Silver Arrow)
    Lol they're both navy ahaha. Which one do you mean?
    what...the second one is clearly black despite the title... or is there a problem with my eyes

ReputationRep:
    I love the blue one..If you have a budget, go for silk or cashmere suit. But if you're not sure of which fabric to select, suit that is made out of 100 percent wool is perhaps the safest and best choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.