Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Crisis 03 - Acinetobacter Baumanni in Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast watch

Announcements
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Crisis 03 - Acinetobacter Baumanni in Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast

Hospital sources have confirmed that the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, has diagnosed a patient with Acinetobacter Baumanni, a new strain of antibiotic resistant microbes that has been seen before in India and China. The Chinese national recently returned from Beijing with flu-like symptoms and was diagnosed with a Respiratory Tract Infection on arrival. His cytology sample confirmed he was positive for Acinetobacter, resistant to all antibioics with one exception, Meropenem, currently kept under lock and key in hospitals due to the risk of antibiotic resistance, in Asia the current strain of AB has indeed been attributed to excessive antibiotic use in otherwise healthy patients.

The hospital manager has asked the Government for a decision on how to co-ordinate the response and treatment guidelines for the patients, the patient sat in A+E and has potentially infected 10 other civilians in the waiting room, the disease isn't life-threatening in this patient, although he is in pain, is heavily blistered, and is feverish. The manager has ordered the patient be isolated, aseptic technique introduced and prescribed on pain medication, although he remains uncomfortable, while his blisters are present, he remains at risk of spreading the infection. This is only considered a life-threatening disease if the patient is immunocompromised, elderly or undergoing surgery. High risk of getting this infection are patients using equipment (ventilators/catheders)

The manager has asked if the government would prefer move him to London, the Head of Office for the Public Health England who have greater expertise in the area, or whether he should remain in Belfast.

The manager also asked if the government permit him to prescribe Meropenem, whether he should prophylactically treat all 10 potentially infected and the current patient and whether the patient should receive the dose of Meropenem. There is no screening program or clinical indications for AB, so he has also asked if the government should consider vetting travellers from the "at risk" nations to reduce the risk of spread.

---

That Bearded Man has offered to answer any medical questions about this scenario.

Party Leaders/Representatives:

Saracen's Fez
    PetrosAC
    Life_peer
    Andy98
    DMcGovern
    Nigel Farage MEP
    a noble chance
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Wait, is this a fairly sensible suggestion

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    If it's this it's two i's

The Government will get onto this now and release a statement shortly.

Tagging Kay_Winters as she is Health Sec

ReputationRep:
    How dare you blame the Chinese national, that's racist!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    A reasonable and well thought out crisis, well done
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Glad to see the CC doing stuff. :congrats:

#BelieveintheBeard

ReputationRep:
    Shame I'm off soon and likely won't be on again till sometime after lunch on thursday as this is a well thought out crisis, I'll work with the government as much as I can before I have to get pack and sleep however

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Crisis 03 - Acinetobacter Baumanni in Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast

Hospital sources have confirmed that the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast, has diagnosed a patient with Acinetobacter Baumanni, a new strain of antibiotic resistant microbes that has been seen before in India and China. The Chinese national recently returned from Beijing with flu-like symptoms and was diagnosed with a Respiratory Tract Infection on arrival. His cytology sample confirmed he was positive for Acinetobacter, resistant to all antibioics with one exception, Meropenem, currently kept under lock and key in hospitals due to the risk of antibiotic resistance, in Asia the current strain of AB has indeed been attributed to excessive antibiotic use in otherwise healthy patients.

The hospital manager has asked the Government for a decision on how to co-ordinate the response and treatment guidelines for the patients, the patient sat in A+E and has potentially infected 10 other civilians in the waiting room, the disease isn't life-threatening in this patient, although he is in pain, is heavily blistered, and is feverish. The manager has ordered the patient be isolated, aseptic technique introduced and prescribed on pain medication, although he remains uncomfortable, while his blisters are present, he remains at risk of spreading the infection. This is only considered a life-threatening disease if the patient is immunocompromised, elderly or undergoing surgery. High risk of getting this infection are patients using equipment (ventilators/catheders)

The manager has asked if the government would prefer move him to London, the Head of Office for the Public Health England who have greater expertise in the area, or whether he should remain in Belfast.

The manager also asked if the government permit him to prescribe Meropenem, whether he should prophylactically treat all 10 potentially infected and the current patient and whether the patient should receive the dose of Meropenem. There is no screening program or clinical indications for AB, so he has also asked if the government should consider vetting travellers from the "at risk" nations to reduce the risk of spread.

---

That Bearded Man has offered to answer any medical questions about this scenario.

Party Leaders/Representatives:

Saracen's Fez
    PetrosAC
    Life_peer
    Andy98
    DMcGovern
    Nigel Farage MEP
    a noble chance
    Keep him in isolation in Belfast, identify as a matter of urgency the 10 people in the waiting room and everyone on his flight, test them, with those at risk of it being fatal tested first, and if they prove to have this disease identify everyone that came into contact with them and test those people - repeat as much as necessary. Then, analyse the data relating to cases of this disease in China and India, and if it is projected that it could become an epidemic any time soon ban flights and ships from those countries until either it has died down naturally or their governments have done something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Keep him in isolation in Belfast, identify as a matter of urgency the 10 people in the waiting room and everyone on his flight, test them, with those at risk of it being fatal tested first, and if they prove to have this disease identify everyone that came into contact with them and test those people - repeat as much as necessary. Then, analyse the data relating to cases of this disease in China and India, and if it is projected that it could become an epidemic any time soon ban flights and ships from those countries until either it has died down naturally or their governments have done something about it.
    Shouldn't we discuss this first cranbrook before jumping into a solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Shouldn't we discuss this first cranbrook before jumping into a solution
    That's my personal opinion, not me trying to speak for the government or anything like that. Consider it my contribution to the discussion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    That's my personal opinion, not me trying to speak for the government or anything like that. Consider it my contribution to the discussion
    Fair enough
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh ****, we submitted it?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A sensible crisis that we can properly respond to.

Multiple-choice might just be the way to go if we seriously want a CC.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Hmmm, I know what I'd do...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Gas the waiting room?
    That a minister, the justice secretary no less, is advocating such a despicable action on their own population as well as possibly some foreign nationals is most alarming. Does the government endorse these comments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Financier)
    That a minister, the justice secretary no less, is advocating such a despicable action on their own population as well as possibly some foreign nationals is most alarming. Does the government endorse these comments?
    Either way, imagine Micheal Gove publicly said something like this, he'd be demoted.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thehistorybore)
    Gas the waiting room?
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Either way, imagine Micheal Gove publicly said something like this, he'd be demoted.
    That wasn't a great joke - although the reaction could've been better.

Seriously? He wouldn't resign?

and DUP councillors say this kind of bat-**** insane stuff so often I can't tell where the line in the sand is anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Oh ****, we submitted it?
    I did say in the thread, since the majority voted Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    If it's this it's two i's

The Government will get onto this now and release a statement shortly.

Tagging Kay_Winters as she is Health Sec
    Touché

"Withdraws crisis in shame"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    With the Govt prepping a response, I would suggest the Opposition does the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.