Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition: Petition to Ban Laser Pointers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Petition to Ban Laser Pointers

Petition to Ban Laser Pointers

This petition calls for all laser pointers with the exception of those classified as class 1 to be made unavailable for public purchase. When lasers are used in incidents such as when they are shone at aircraft or at the eyes of other citizens they should be considered as offensive weapons with possible jail sentences and fines depending on the seriousness of the offence.

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    This is extremely reactionary. Some people get knifed. Is it sensible to ban kitchen knives? No, it isn't. Prosecution is already available.
    Yes but kitchen knives are used by millions of people up and down the country. How many people do you know are there whose lives are positively affected by laser pointers? They are essentially a very dangerous weapon that can blind. I accept that knives are equally dangerous but one is useful and one is not.

ReputationRep:
    This is an extreme overreaction. Some people get knifed. Is it sensible to ban kitchen knives? No, it isn't. Prosecution is already available.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't describe my political views as reactionary ...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unionist)
    Would you have done this petition if the recent shining at aircraft hadn't happened?

ReputationRep:
    This is an extreme overreaction. Some people get knifed. Is it sensible to ban kitchen knives? No, it isn't. Prosecution is already available.
    Erm, what else would you use the laser for? To play sky kitten?

Knives have many purposes and the benefits of having them far outweigh the benefits of banning them. The same cannot be said for lasers.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Undecided on this
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Erm, what else would you use the laser for? To play sky kitten?

Knives have many purposes and the benefits of having them far outweigh the benefits of banning them. The same cannot be said for lasers.
    People use lasers for astronomical reasons - not sure what class they use, so if they do use class 1 then fine. They're also used in physics classes - restricting purchasing just adds bureaucracy to the issue of buying them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Would you have done this petition if the recent shining at aircraft hadn't happened?
    Its an issue I have known about and had this position on for years. Would you describe the British Airline Pilots Association as being reactionary?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35580261

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Yes but kitchen knives are used by millions of people up and down the country. How many people do you know are there whose lives are positively affected by laser pointers? They are essentially a very dangerous weapon that can blind. I accept that knives are equally dangerous but one is useful and one is not.
    I erased my message and replaced it with the one above because I made a wrong choice of the word to describe sudden radical reaction to an otherwise rare occurrence, I'm sorry for that.

Laser pointers with power output higher than 1W can be used for fun and rudimentary scientific experiments. To give a better analogy, perhaps consider water balloons which can be thrown from an overpass at cars approaching below while the same instruments can be also used to entertain children in an entirely harmless way. The relative utilitarian value should be irrelevant because by banning something, you are restricting someone's freedom. The proposed measure would affect a sizeable group and all due to a single case in who knows how many years.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm sorry, bad choice of words. I didn't realise it means that and not what I wanted to say (a sudden radical reaction to an otherwise rare occurrence). Embarrassing, but let's move on.

ReputationRep:
    People use lasers for astronomical reasons - not sure what class they use, so if they do use class 1 then fine. They're also used in physics classes - restricting purchasing just adds bureaucracy to the issue of buying them.
    I'm pretty sure that wouldn't include their use for research reasons when safety measures have been taken and the persons using them are identifiable.

The public should not be allowed to use them, generally.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Its an issue I have known about and had this position on for years. Would you describe the British Airline Pilots Association as being reactionary?

Dunno! Never thought about it.

In any case, I wouldn't support this petition.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that wouldn't include their use for research reasons when safety measures have been taken and the persons using them are identifiable.

The public should not be allowed to use them, generally.
    It's still added bureaucracy to the issue of purchasing them, and actually, I own a laser pointer - I never do anything illegal with it!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay, you would make a good green overeating and pushing something almost immediately. Of we are to take a cost benefit analysis this is an absolutely rediculous move to make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm sorry, bad choice of words. I didn't realise it means that and not what I wanted to say (a sudden radical reaction to an otherwise rare occurrence). Embarrassing, but let's move on.
    That's okay, I understand now.

ReputationRep:
    It's still added bureaucracy to the issue of purchasing them, and actually, I own a laser pointer - I never do anything illegal with it!
    I'd take bureaucracy over people being endangered any day of the week.

Well, YOU don't. Some people seem more than happy to use them illegally.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'd take bureaucracy over people being endangered any day of the week.

Well, YOU don't. Some people seem more than happy to use them illegally.
    Yeh, and as LP has said above, that goes for the same with many other things... those plastic bags in tesco that cost us 5p... you could kill someone with those.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, and as LP has said above, that goes for the same with many other things... those plastic bags in tesco that cost us 5p... you could kill someone with those.
    Ah mate... C'mon.

It's all about proportionality.
    Lasers are practically useless - they serve NO purpose at all to the general public. It can literally only lead to stuff like that when used by idiots who shouldn't have them.

Plastic bags on the other hand serve many purposes for reasons too obvious to explain. And a laser is far more dangerous than a plastic bag, for that matter.

ReputationRep:

I also take back the ‘all due to a single case in who knows how many years’ statement – I didn't realise these incidents are so common. Unbelievable. :confused: The article puts things into a very different perspective. Still, I'm not in favour of a ban.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.