Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition: Petition to Ban Laser Pointers Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay. It's already an offence to shine laser pointers at aircraft I believe.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Ah mate... C'mon.

It's all about proportionality.
    Lasers are practically useless - they serve NO purpose at all to the general public. It can literally only lead to stuff like that when used by idiots who shouldn't have them.

Plastic bags on the other hand serve many purposes for reasons too obvious to explain. And a laser is far more dangerous than a plastic bag, for that matter.
    Laser pointers used for presentations, barcode scanners, laser guided tools... all these things contain lasers which can be more than Class 1.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay ! To reactionary for my liking ... For example Money can cause corruption should we ban money ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Laser pointers used for presentations, barcode scanners, laser guided tools... all these things contain lasers which can be more than Class 1.
    Sorry, but are we talking to each other or are we each on their own? Lol...

I said specifically that lasers should allowed when they serve a specific purpose and their owner can be identified.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but are we talking to each other or are we each on their own? Lol...

I said specifically that lasers should allowed when they serve a specific purpose and their owner can be identified.
    Yes, but that's not what this petition would be doing... the petition would be banning to all public, which is why I'm against it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    This is an extreme overreaction. Some people get knifed. Is it sensible to ban kitchen knives? No, it isn't. Prosecution is already available.
    Normal people need kitchen knives to cook. They don't need lasers. You also can't make a plane crash with a kitchen knife (from the ground anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that's not what this petition would be doing... the petition would be banning to all public, which is why I'm against it.
    I am pretty sure that refers to you being able to buy them from shops around. Not in private contracts with specific purposes.

And in any case, any potential legislation wouldn't be as bland as the petition itself - every law has its exceptions.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure that refers to you being able to buy them from shops around. Not in private contracts with specific purposes.

And in any case, any potential legislation wouldn't be as bland as the petition itself - every law has its exceptions.
    Yeh, so now you can't buy a laser assisted tool in B&Q...

And no it wouldn't be, but what's the Bill going to say... you can't buy this laser pointer, but you can buy this tool which has a laser pointer built in...?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, so now you can't buy a laser assisted tool in B&Q...

And no it wouldn't be, but what's the Bill going to say... you can't buy this laser pointer, but you can buy this tool which has a laser pointer built in...?
    Members of the public cannot buy lasers end of, but those who have specific and valid purposes for doing so can. Relatively simple :P
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Members of the public cannot buy lasers end of, but those who have specific and valid purposes for doing so can. Relatively simple :P
    Ok, so whats to stop a member of the public buying a laser assisted tool, for a 'valid reason'...?

ReputationRep:
    Lasers are useful for people giving presentations - pointing things out on powerpoint etc. It's not bad if you're in a small classroom but say giving a bio lecture to 200 students... unless you use a big stick. They are also used in shows / events (with strict guidelines about not scanning audiences eyes etc). Could they be used for pointing things out during surgeries?

I don't know about all the difference in strengths etc though as a particular strength has been mentioned. That said, how would the ban be monitored? This would be not being able to sell them in shops and then I don't know how is for monitoring what people buy online..

I guess if it is a case of this strength is bad but that one is ok it makes sense to 'ban' in order to let retailers know, I don't suppose that anyone buying one to entertain their cat really cares about the strength. But there are other things that contain strong lasers - event lighting would that also be banned. I think this petition needs to be more specific.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so whats to stop a member of the public buying a laser assisted tool, for a 'valid reason'...?
    What do you mean? In order to buy for a valid reason you have to PROVE that you have a valid reason. Researchers always work through institutions so that shouldn't be much of a problem.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean? In order to buy for a valid reason you have to PROVE that you have a valid reason. Researchers always work through institutions so that shouldn't be much of a problem.
    So, would me wanting a laser assisted tool to do some building work in my house, not a valid reason? I personally think it is, but you're saying that it would be banned...?

ReputationRep:
    So, would me wanting a laser assisted tool to do some building work in my house, not a valid reason? I personally think it is, but you're saying that it would be banned...?
    And you need the kind of laser that can harm an airplane to do that? C'mon!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    A licensing system might be better than a total ban but I don't disagree with doing something.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    And you need the kind of laser that can harm an airplane to do that? C'mon!
    Dunno what kind of laser you may find in them...

ReputationRep:
    I am with this one. Lasers are dangerous to aircraft and if pointed at people's eyes can cause long term blindness. However, what will teachers use in the classroom?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LovepreetDhillon)
    I am with this one. Lasers are dangerous to aircraft and if pointed at people's eyes can cause long term blindness. However, what will teachers use in the classroom?
    Same stuff they usually use - their arm, a long stick/ruler, or nothing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A good idea actually. What does Class 1 mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.