Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition: Petition to Ban Laser Pointers Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Aye. What's useful about strong laser pointers? So long as any given legislation defined 'pointer' carefully so long as to not accidentally outlaw something actually useful, this is good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Nay ! To reactionary for my liking ... For example Money can cause corruption should we ban money ?
    Don't tempt me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yes, but that's not what this petition would be doing... the petition would be banning to all public, which is why I'm against it.
    It's also worth noting that there is no obligation for the government to do exactly as the petition says, should it pass, and they could make such exceptions in the bill itself.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Nay ! To reactionary for my liking ... For example Money can cause corruption should we ban money ?
    The trading of goods can also cause corruption, it is not the money itself. Money is just an arbitrary object that has a fixed value that all other things can be traded for. It ultimately exists because people would want to trade but not necessarily for what was available. For instance, I may have some bananas and you have some olives, you want bananas but I do not want olives, there is a problem here that is removed if we then implement a form of currency which I will happily take for my bananas, and you will happily take for your olives. It means you can give me 5 bananas worth of currency, according to the agreed upon price and then I can go and use that to get other things rather than relying on you having what I want and me having what others want.

But we can still have corruption. For instance, suppose we had a system of taxation whereby we would all have to give 10% of our primary good to the governor, who should then use these resources on the town, they can still be corrupt and siphon half of those resources off for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I will sign for the ban...
    where do I go?

ReputationRep:
    Nay

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Normal people need kitchen knives to cook. They don't need lasers. You also can't make a plane crash with a kitchen knife (from the ground anyway).
    What if you use it as a reflector?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I know, just playing devil's advocate
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperion)
    Nay

What if you use it as a reflector?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I know, just playing devil's advocate
    Would be incredibly difficult to do, and most kitchen knives aren't shiny enough anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Would be incredibly difficult to do, and most kitchen knives aren't shiny enough anyway.
    You haven't seen enough horrors.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am naying. My cat died the other day, leaving behind a kitten. The only toy that kitten will play with is a laser pointer. So nay
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalail)
    I am naying. My cat died the other day, leaving behind a kitten. The only toy that kitten will play with is a laser pointer. So nay
    I.e. you're opposing for pointless sentiment rather pragmatic reasons, great, one of for best examples I've seen the a while as to why at the very least more people should not be enfranchised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I.e. you're opposing for pointless sentiment rather pragmatic reasons, great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, because, my esteemed colleague, not all of us are heatless b*****s
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalail)
    Yes, because, my esteemed colleague, not all of us are heatless b*****s
    You don't have to be heartless to not shed a tear over a cat, they wouldn't shed a tear over you. If my father were to have a small armoury, would you advocate my maintaining of it if I claimed there to be a sentimental value to it and the contents, or would pragmatism kick in then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be heartless to not shed a tear over a cat, they wouldn't shed a tear over you. If my father were to have a small armoury, would you advocate my maintaining of it if I claimed there to be a sentimental value to it and the contents, or would pragmatism kick in then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is a very extreme example. You are taking what he is saying out of context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unionist)
    Petition to Ban Laser Pointers
    Petition to Ban Laser Pointers
    When lasers are used in incidents such as when they are shone at aircraft or at the eyes of other citizens they should be considered as offensive weapons with possible jail sentences and fines depending on the seriousness of the offence.
    but when has a ban stopped anything still would get them on market stalls and the internet it just makes more for criminals to earn off of
    and it the incident such as the one earlier this week call it terrorism and given twenty years-life or even have it as punishable by death if a plane were to crash from such circumstances
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    This is a very extreme example. You are taking what he is saying out of context.
    With an armoury with no good reason I could easily go on a killing spree, bad. With the rationale behind the petition be could with a laser pointer intentionally bring down a plane, bad. There is merely an inherent bias being presented due to one already being illegal and the other not. The reasoning presented in both cases is the same, in both cases it's "I should be allowed to keep this potentially dangerous thing fur no reason other than sentiment".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not reactionary, just pragmatic - it is the job of parliament to respond to the latest problems and threats that the country faces. Lasers can bring down a plane with 150 people on board in a needless way.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unionist)
    Not reactionary, just pragmatic - it is the job of parliament to respond to the latest problems and threats that the country faces. Lasers can bring down a plane with 150 people on board in a needless way.
    And has it ever ACTUALLY happened? A lot of things can bring a plane down, should they all be banned?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I support working to stop dangerous laser attacks on aircraft, but banning the lasers will create a black market for them with little impact on incidents, I propose tougher sentences to upgrade shining a laser at an aircraft to attempted murder of all those on the aircraft when it was hit.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone is interested, this is where I found the inspiration for this petition:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3893691

Although the poll result is not currently in my favour, it is an issue that TSR users were interested in and as this is the parliament of TSR we should listen to what the constituents (users) have to say.

Pragmatic not reactionary.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    The trading of goods can also cause corruption, it is not the money itself. Money is just an arbitrary object that has a fixed value that all other things can be traded for. It ultimately exists because people would want to trade but not necessarily for what was available. For instance, I may have some bananas and you have some olives, you want bananas but I do not want olives, there is a problem here that is removed if we then implement a form of currency which I will happily take for my bananas, and you will happily take for your olives. It means you can give me 5 bananas worth of currency, according to the agreed upon price and then I can go and use that to get other things rather than relying on you having what I want and me having what others want.

But we can still have corruption. For instance, suppose we had a system of taxation whereby we would all have to give 10% of our primary good to the governor, who should then use these resources on the town, they can still be corrupt and siphon half of those resources off for themselves.
    Ture that does make a lot of sense when you think about it but money and power can cause corruption and bribery . my main point was that this petition is a overreaction and it like saying Cars can kill people we should ban them or red meat can give you cancer in high proportions we should ban red meat to , see my point ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.