Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Someone studying the IB course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I applied to an IB school choosing chemistry and maths as higher subjects.
    However I kept on hearing from my friends and their classmates complaining how hard they are....is my choose going to kill me the next two years? (meaning are they that hard that it takes everything out of you just to get high marks?)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and your friends and classmates are right. I study HL Maths, and it is really hard. I got like 95% in the GCSEs for maths, and I'll be extremely lucky to get a 6 :P. If you are insanely good at maths, it will be alright, but if not, it will require a lot of work and time. HL Chemistry is fine, from what I've heard from my friends. Your subject choices are crucial to how well you do. Make sure you choose some subjects where you can get a high score without a lot of effort, like SL DT or Ab Initio Spanish. What were all your subject choices?

ReputationRep:
    great more reasurance that next year I am going to work till I drop.....because my choices seem absolutely crazy...

higher- maths, chemistry, biology

standard - english lit and lang (cause I am a slow reader and I do not think I can read 10 books and analyse them in detail within 2 years time), german b, and something call social and cultural anthropology

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of studying the IB too, what is your overall opinion of it? Are you glad you chose this over A-Levels

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    personally yes, because I think limiting myself to 3 subjects is very hard for me indead because I would feel obledge to be very good at it because the amount is half of IB subjects requirement. Additionally I know more about IB than A levels simply because i have a relative which studied the IB and my school has a IB sixth form.

Moreover I heard some people/ articles said that uni generally favours IB students over A levels students if they have similar abilities, because IB generally includes more work load, essays and all those random stuff than A levels.

Since it includes so many subjects and extra stuff (eg: extended essay, CAS) people around me said it is better if you are a academic person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mosmps1)
    great more reasurance that next year I am going to work till I drop.....because my choices seem absolutely crazy...

higher- maths, chemistry, biology

standard - english lit and lang (cause I am a slow reader and I do not think I can read 10 books and analyse them in detail within 2 years time), german b, and something call social and cultural anthropology
    And what do you want to study at university?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you that's really helpful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    veterinary sciences and stuff about biology but not base around research because to be honest I think surgeries to me seem very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I do IB, if you enjoy your subjects and like being an all rounder then IB is great and prepares you really well for uni, many people find the workload insane though. I do about 4 hours of studying per weekend and 40 minutes every evening on top of homework if that gives you an idea - that's just first year. You really need to do research and decide what's best for you. However, IB is a very legitimate and well respected course so I would personally recommend it. The TOK and core is nice too

ReputationRep:
    but to be honest I am having so much trouble trying to find farms, veterinary practise, animal shelters that I can go to for experiences without worrying about super long journeys or accomodation. Thanks to all the research I have done on this subject emphasise to me just how important they are.

What about you what subjects are you studying for IB?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william91919)
    I do IB, if you enjoy your subjects and like being an all rounder then IB is great and prepares you really well for uni, many people find the workload insane though. I do about 4 hours of studying per weekend and 40 minutes every evening on top of homework if that gives you an idea - that's just first year. You really need to do research and decide what's best for you. However, IB is a very legitimate and well respected course so I would personally recommend it. The TOK and core is nice too
    I heard something similar to that through my teachers and peers around me.

When is your extended essay due around? What are you planning to write about? Because nearly all the IB subject teachers told me I can write their subjects' essay in summer along with the extended essay and everything can be handed in by December in y13

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.