Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I still do optometry? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    In August 2015, I got my GCSE grades with AAABBBBBBCCCCC and this was extremely dissapointing in my eyes. I got 0 A* and I saw everyone else with like 10 A* which was disheartening. I was only like a mark away from an A in 5 subjects but my parents were abroad so we couldn't afford remarks I would have got like 5 more A's (

I did good in English Lit which i'm doing for A-Level as well as Maths, Business and Accounting. I got a B in Maths and CC in Double Award Business Studies GCSE.
    I'm becoming an Accountant (hopefully) only because I couldn't do science A-Levels (they required B in all triple sciences but I got BCC)
    I wanted to be an optometrist when I was older but I don't see how that is going to happen. I absolutely hate accounting and just sticking it out till the end of AS.

Is there a way to still become an optometrist? Do I have to retake specific subjects? I really don't want to end up being something I don't particularly like or want to do. I'm also doing quite badly in accounting lately where I got 2 U's in the mocks in 2 units (

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure u can still get in for optometry. Most universities only want grade c or above at GCSE. At alevel u just need maths or one of the sciences. This is the entry requirements of Plymouth. Manchester is the same as well except it only requires AAB at alevel.
    http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/un...-requirements/

Plymouth:

GCSE’S5 GCSE’s grade C or above to include mathematics, English and science. Preference is given to applicants who have obtained these grades on application.

UCAS tariffTypical offer 360 points. AAA from 3 A levels, 2 A levels must come from either maths, use of maths, physics, chemistry, biology/human biology, applied science, psychology, excluding general studies.

I'm also attaching the link for all the universities which offer the course. Hope this helps
    http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ts&s=Optometry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help but the problem is that they will NOT let me do Biology A-Level as I needed a B in Chem and Physics AS WELL.
    Even if I retook these subjects and took Biology A-Level in Year 13, I'd be at my sixth form much longer.
    I just want to know what's the best thing to do in this case, to either retake these subjects or just stick to what I'm doing now.
    Plus I've done work experience at a surgery which would have been so useful for my personal statement as it would have relative to optometry. A surgery and accounting don't go together obviously.

If I retook these subjects, where and how would I do it? Would I be allowed to do a 2 year course starting in Year 13?

I hope there's someone that's been through this before

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.