Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stephen Gately (Boyzone) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today I went to my Uncle's as it was his birthday.

Whilst at my uncle's, his eldest son (my cousin) showed me a video clip on youtube. The backing music for the clip was a song from boyzone "Key to my life". As soon as i heard the song I fell in love with it. I got onto youtube and listen to the group's album "By request". I also started to like a member of the group called Stephen Gately.

My cousin is a big Boyzone fan and I was asking questions about them and Stephen Gately. When he told me Stephen Gately was dead, I was shocked, I couldn't believe it. I could see in his eyes that he was going to cry and he told me that Stephen was his favourite member and Stephen had inspired my cousin because Stephen was always happy and had a really nice, warm, sweet smile.

I now just want to know how did you guys react when you heard about Stephen's sudden death. Did Stephen inspire any of you guys to smile and get on with life just like Stephen did to my cousin.

ReputationRep:
    I was never a Boyzone fan as they are slightly before my time, but I remember when he passed they made the song "Gave it all away". I always remember that song, such a sweet and sombre song. Really catchy as well.

ReputationRep:
    I was in my uni room at Cambridge and I had left my radio on all night to keep me company and I must have been half awake when the news came on announcing his death. I remember thinking I had dreamt it and then I woke up and another news bulletin came on and I realised it was true. I was shocked. I was a big Boyzone fan when I was younger (I had their annuals, so you can tell it was serious) and I thought Stephen Gately was the sweetest. He had a great voice and was a super moving performer to watch. I bought a Boyzone Live DVD and watched that in my room in order to reminisce a bit (I watched it a lot).

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, this is a shot from the past. How did you miss all the media coverage about it at the time OP?

I was never a fan of Boyzone. At the time of SG's death I just thought that it was a mad way for someone so young to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I was never a Boyzone fan as they are slightly before my time, but I remember when he passed they made the song "Gave it all away". I always remember that song, such a sweet and sombre song. Really catchy as well.
    My cousin showed me this song after he told me that he was dead. It is now one of my favourite songs as it is just so great and so catchy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CCC75)
    Oh wow, this is a shot from the past. How did you miss all the media coverage about it at the time OP?

I was never a fan of Boyzone. At the time of SG's death I just thought that it was a mad way for someone so young to die.
    Well, at the time of Gately's death, I was never a Boyzone fan and I was only 9 years old so I had never heard of him before. My cousin was so upset at this time but I thought it was all the stress he was under as he was doing his GCSEs at this time. I didn't want to ask him what was wrong as I felt it might make him worse.
    My parents were and still are not Boyzone fans so I couldn't ask them.

ReputationRep:
    I can remember Stephan. I can remember the news coverage of his death. I was a massive boyzone fan and kind of am. I've always felt that Steo was the one that made Boyzone, Boyzone. Without him it's just Ronan, Keith, Mikey and Shane. Boyzone has never been the same since.
    Steo was my favourite member and just like your cousin, his smile inspired me to just get on with life and be happy. After his death was announced I thought I was dreaming, I'd never cried so much in my whole life and i'm only 16 years old. I've always nicknamed Stephan as 'Golden Gately' because of his happy, loving, caring and smiley status. He inspired me to do anything.
    Just like your cousin, my cousin is also a Boyzone and Steo fan. We both cried when he died and still do today. Sometimes my cousin would say (through teary eyes) that "Steo wouldn't want us to cry like this, he would want us to be happy and get on with life". So whenever I start crying, I always remember my cousin saying this and think of Steo's amazing smile.

Steo is the best and will always be the best. No matter what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItalianGuy1897)
    I can remember Stephan. I can remember the news coverage of his death. I was a massive boyzone fan and kind of am. I've always felt that Steo was the one that made Boyzone, Boyzone. Without him it's just Ronan, Keith, Mikey and Shane. Boyzone has never been the same since.
    Steo was my favourite member and just like your cousin, his smile inspired me to just get on with life and be happy. After his death was announced I thought I was dreaming, I'd never cried so much in my whole life and i'm only 16 years old. I've always nicknamed Stephan as 'Golden Gately' because of his happy, loving, caring and smiley status. He inspired me to do anything.
    Just like your cousin, my cousin is also a Boyzone and Steo fan. We both cried when he died and still do today. Sometimes my cousin would say (through teary eyes) that "Steo wouldn't want us to cry like this, he would want us to be happy and get on with life". So whenever I start crying, I always remember my cousin saying this and think of Steo's amazing smile.

Steo is the best and will always be the best. No matter what.

I know what you mean. I too always thought that Steo made Boyzone, Boyzone. There are just some [boyzone] songs that Steo needs to be in to make it a song - like: key to my life, no matter what, love me for a reason and many more.
    I couldn't remember the news coverage of his death, but after watching song videos with him in, and seeing that he was so amazing i found it hard to believe that he was gone and I too thought it was dream and that I would wake up soon (even if it is 7 years after his death). When my cousin showed me "Gave it all away" I realised that Steo was gone and was never coming back. I started to cry and my cousin hugged me and told me exactly what yours said. I will now think of this and Steo's amazing smile to help me through.

By the way, I loved your Boyzone reference. This is all that I need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giorgio17)
    I know what you mean. I too always thought that Steo made Boyzone, Boyzone. There are just some [boyzone] songs that Steo needs to be in to make it a song - like: key to my life, no matter what, love me for a reason and many more.
    I couldn't remember the news coverage of his death, but after watching song videos with him in, and seeing that he was so amazing i found it hard to believe that he was gone and I too thought it was dream and that I would wake up soon (even if it is 7 years after his death). When my cousin showed me "Gave it all away" I realised that Steo was gone and was never coming back. I started to cry and my cousin hugged me and told me exactly what yours said. I will now think of this and Steo's amazing smile to help me through.

By the way, I loved your Boyzone reference. This is all that I need.

I love the song Key to my life- I love the video clip and I love how young Steo looks- it's so cute. I also love the video clip of the boyzone song "So good". I love the dance moves. I am trying to learn the dance moves for a tribute to Steo for my school talent show. I want to do this as the talent show is on the 18th of March and Steo was born on the 17th. I feel it is only respectable to do something Steo/boyzone related. I will also be singing "so good" to accompany the dance moves. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.I love the song "Gave it all away", It makes me cry but it is such a great song for such a great person.I've always said "Isn't it a wonder how Steo died" and my cousin said "yeah, but at least we know that he is in paradise now".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItalianGuy1897)
    I love the song Key to my life- I love the video clip and I love how young Steo looks- it's so cute. I also love the video clip of the boyzone song "So good". I love the dance moves. I am trying to learn the dance moves for a tribute to Steo for my school talent show. I want to do this as the talent show is on the 18th of March and Steo was born on the 17th. I feel it is only respectable to do something Steo/boyzone related. I will also be singing "so good" to accompany the dance moves. I'm excited and nervous at the same time.I love the song "Gave it all away", It makes me cry but it is such a great song for such a great person.I've always said "Isn't it a wonder how Steo died" and my cousin said "yeah, but at least we know that he is in paradise now".
    Key to my life is one of my favourite songs.

Steo is so great in the video. I too loved the video of so good. I can only say Good luck with trying to learn the dance moves as they are so hard - although I have an Italian name and was born in Italy and lived there for 10 years, I am also Irish and have lived here since I left Italy and I can say that Irish dancing is one of the hardest things you will ever do in your life - You have to be committed and dedicated to learning it. The video of So good is based on Irish dancing which is why it is so hard to master. I've lived in Ireland for 7 years and I still get bits wrong.
    The fact that you are doing it for Steo is amazing and I wish you good luck and I hope you have fun. Steo will be looking down on you and will be happy.

ReputationRep:
    I've always said "Isn't it a wonder how Steo died" and my cousin said "yeah, but at least we know that he is in paradise now".[/QUOTE]

I too am a Boyzone/Steo fan. I think that they are great.

Just to let you know that Steo died of a Pulmonary Odema. This is where his lungs filled up with fluid and caused him to suffocate. It is widely associated with severe heart problems.

The news coverage of his death and his funeral is on youtube but it is massively upsetting especially when Ronan, Mikey, Keith and Shane sing 'in this life'.
    'Gave it all away' is sad too but when Boyzone sang on it on 'This morning' back in 2010, I turned to my sister and said that it was good to hear his voice again. Rest in Peace Steo. Heaven has a truly amazing angel. Gone but never ever forgotten.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.