Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will my employer know that I have failed ACA exams as an independent student? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am an independent ACA student who had failed 2 professional level exams last December.

Usually after I submitted my application forms and CV, the HR would contact me regarding my progress with ACA exams, and I have already received rejection from KPMG, explicitly because I have failed exams before.

Should I choose not to disclose my status as ACA student? Will my employer find out my exam history once training agreement is signed?

I know I should not lie no matter what...But it is not fair to punish me because I made extra effort pursuing ACA qualification beside my degree, right? One thing is for sure though, I will take ACA exams very very seriously in the future, and so should you! Consider carefully before signing up as independent student!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    KPMG rejected you because you told them you failed or they found out? You arent clear what was on your form, what they asked, what you told etc.

I dont know about accountants, but if the forms ask about failed exams and you fail to disclose then you are commiting a criminal offence by misleading them. The best people to check wuth are the ACA records people to see whether your fails are part of your record. It looks better if you pass the 2 exams you have failed before applying again.

Are those he only 2 aca exams you have tried and failed or have you passed others?

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest, I think firms will appreciate your honesty

Its better than starting your job and then them finding out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
    Just be honest, I think firms will appreciate your honesty

Its better than starting your job and then them finding out
    That's what I figured too. Hope it was just KPMG being very strict, it did took them more than a month to make the decision though, as if mine was a rare case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    KPMG rejected you because you told them you failed or they found out? You arent clear what was on your form, what they asked, what you told etc.

I dont know about accountants, but if the forms ask about failed exams and you fail to disclose then you are commiting a criminal offence by misleading them. The best people to check wuth are the ACA records people to see whether your fails are part of your record. It looks better if you pass the 2 exams you have failed before applying again.

Are those he only 2 aca exams you have tried and failed or have you passed others?
    Because I told them.

I have passed other exams.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1. If they dont ask then no need to tell. 2. If they ask and you dont disclose then youve misled them and that has serious consequences if ever found out.

An experienced interviewer might notice the difference between the pattern of exams before i.e every 6 months and then the gap.

If you lie, especially in the FS industry that reflects on you, your honesty and integrity. Its serious as you might lie about other things when you are in a position of trust. I wouldnt wnat it hanging over me. I'd be strongly against telling lies, so think carefully about the implications. get them passed asap.

ReputationRep:
    which were the exact exams you failed? which level and subject. sorry again this is not clear by the ops original post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    which were the exact exams you failed? which level and subject. sorry again this is not clear by the ops original post
    This is quite irrelevant but since you have asked: professional level, Audit and Assurance; Financial Accounting and Reporting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    1. If they dont ask then no need to tell. 2. If they ask and you dont disclose then youve misled them and that has serious consequences if ever found out.

An experienced interviewer might notice the difference between the pattern of exams before i.e every 6 months and then the gap.

If you lie, especially in the FS industry that reflects on you, your honesty and integrity. Its serious as you might lie about other things when you are in a position of trust. I wouldnt wnat it hanging over me. I'd be strongly against telling lies, so think carefully about the implications. get them passed asap.
    Since I'm applying for graduate schemes, being part qualified with ACA is not expected of candidates, if I didn't disclose that I am taking ACA exams, they wouldn't have asked my progress.

Deliberately lying is certainly not what I am thinking. I just did not see that I would hit myself in the foot trying my luck with ACA before I got into a training contract.

As for passing the exams ASAP, I actually thought about it, the problem is, passing rate of independent student is very very low compared to those who are in a training contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan-W)
    This is quite irrelevant but since you have asked: professional level, Audit and Assurance; Financial Accounting and Reporting
    It is a relevant question, because you may not have noticed but a good deal of these sort of threads are created by trolls, hence the double check. You seem to be legitimate. Thanks for the information!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Stan-W)
    Since I'm applying for graduate schemes, being part qualified with ACA is not expected of candidates, if I didn't disclose that I am taking ACA exams, they wouldn't have asked my progress.

Deliberately lying is certainly not what I am thinking. I just did not see that I would hit myself in the foot trying my luck with ACA before I got into a training contract.

As for passing the exams ASAP, I actually thought about it, the problem is, passing rate of independent student is very very low compared to those who are in a training contract.
    You tried to gain an advantage because you wnat to mention the ACA aspect which would get you an interview.

Now you are talking about not including them on your cv at all. up to you,

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    Can anyone advise me on ACA training Agreement? I am an idipendent student and passed my all certificate level exams. My question is will I be able to get training agreement easily? Should I apply in top firms or small firms?
    Any advise will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Saleem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.