Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Why does the govt. allow large corporations to pay minute quantities of tax?! watch

ReputationRep:
    It's outrageous! The total sum of tax money lost through benefit scrounging is much less than the money lost through the fraud of corporates. The hypocritical Daily Mail (who don't pay tax) are happy to churn out countless stories about benefit scrounges but not corporate fraud. I'm sure the greedy govt. has some benefits from letting the giant get away with the utter robbery. It's not fair!

ReputationRep:
    1 Word.....Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    Not that easy they will leave the country lose their contribution to economy globalised world dude no economy is its own bye bye sovereignty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well as unfair as it is, we do 'technically' benefit. These large companies are much more likely to want to stay and grow within the UK if their taxes are very low - this equates to increased employment. If taxes were to suddenly spike, they may be forced to lay people off, or move out of the UK entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Mir)
    It's outrageous! The total sum of tax money lost through benefit scrounging is much less than the money lost through the fraud of corporates. The hypocritical Daily Mail (who don't pay tax) are happy to churn out countless stories about benefit scrounges but not corporate fraud. I'm sure the greedy govt. has some benefits from letting the giant get away with the utter robbery. It's not fair!
    Tax avoidance isn't fraud. By definition it's legal. It's difficult to close tax loopholes while at the same time offering incentives for investment.
    It's wouldn't be hypocritical to blast one crime more than another, let alone one crime more than something that isn't a crime.
    Regardless the media have given a LOT of attention to the tax affairs of big multinational corporations like Google and Amazon in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Mir)
    Large firms bringing their global head office functions to London generates thousands of skilled and highly jobs with each firm (these employees also consume so pay VAT and pay income tax i might add) which is the motivation for government, allowing them to pay little tax on their profits is a way of out-competing our rivals around the world.

Now i don't actually agree with this to a large degree and am sympathetic to the argument that we should enforce proper tax policy but you'd certainly lose out in the short run which is why we don't.

(Original post by LovepreetDhillon)
    1 Word.....Conservatives.
    & Labour.

Let's be objective, you happily sat back in the 97-10 period.

ReputationRep:
    It's easier to demonise poor people without reprisal than it would be to demonise wealthy industries that could easily fire back. Especially when people like Osborne do the exact same thing as these companies to get out of paying tax.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.