Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why does the govt. allow large corporations to pay minute quantities of tax?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's outrageous! The total sum of tax money lost through benefit scrounging is much less than the money lost through the fraud of corporates. The hypocritical Daily Mail (who don't pay tax) are happy to churn out countless stories about benefit scroungers but not corporate fraudsters. It sickens me that Amazon get to exploit British workers but pay zero tax in Britain. I'm sure the greedy govt. has some benefits from letting the giants get away with the utter robbery. It's not fair!

I believe the argument is something along the lines of 'if we tax them properly they'll go elsewhere'. Ludicrous if you ask me, let them go if they aren't willing to pay the proper level of tax. Particularly gets to me when you see protests at the likes of Starbucks etc, who then demand police presence, the cost of which they've contributed almost nothing towards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    I believe the argument is something along the lines of 'if we tax them properly they'll go elsewhere'. Ludicrous if you ask me, let them go if they aren't willing to pay the proper level of tax. Particularly gets to me when you see protests at the likes of Starbucks etc, who then demand police presence, the cost of which they've contributed almost nothing towards.
    That's not the argument in the slightest. The argument is 'If we tax them highly they'll go elsewhere'. Few people condone not paying the actual tax rate properly. The reality is however authorities are always playing catchup to people seeking out loopholes.
    I do think though the Government should be more belligerent in cracking down on the matter. The UK has a huge consumer market and many of these companies have invested great deals here- they're not going to pull out because we've sent them a tax bill that makes there enterprise only very profitable instead of highly profitable.

ReputationRep:
    I think all tax payers should pay 20%, rather than the percentage rising as income does. One-fifth of £100,000 is more than the same percentage of £20k.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    I think all tax payers should pay 20%, rather than the percentage rising as income does. One-fifth of £100,000 is more than the same percentage of £20k.....
    And that's related to this how? We're talking about corporations, not individuals? aha

ReputationRep:
    Because legally, with all the loopholes, there is little they can do apart from attempt to shame the companies into paying tax. It would take extensive re-writing of the tax code to put a end to corporate tax evasion, and even then new loopholes are likely to form. For the large part it is a game of cat and mouse. The Conservatives prefer the soft touch when it comes to multi-national corporations, because they believe they'll go elsewhere, as if Starbucks or Amazon would really give up the fifth largest consumer market.

ReputationRep:
    Corporate tax dodges largely involve the EU nowadays. There are two methods:

Cross charging subsidiaries for use of logo etc and moving the cash offshore through Holland
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-st...8A00DP20121101

And a new one, taking dividends from subsidiaries/associated companies in the EU and claiming tax back.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-...8AC11J20121113

Vote Remain to let these poor corporations prosper!

The reality of the EU is it is for them, not you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newpersonage)
    Corporate tax dodges largely involve the EU nowadays. There are two methods:

Cross charging subsidiaries for use of logo etc and moving the cash offshore through Holland
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-st...8A00DP20121101

And a new one, taking dividends from subsidiaries/associated companies in the EU and claiming tax back.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-eu-...8AC11J20121113

Vote Remain to let these poor corporations prosper!

The reality of the EU is it is for them, not you.
    Very little to do with the EU and more to do with the fact that each country can set its own tax rates and laws. Clever accountants and lawyers then devise ways to manipulate the rules so that they pay less tax.

ReputationRep:
    You honestly think that if we introduced laws to tax a company like Amazon fairly they would decided to jump ship and leave their multi multi multi multi million pound uk branch of their business behind? Doesn't seem too likely to me.

(Original post by Nightwing_)
    You honestly think that if we introduced laws to tax a company like Amazon fairly they would decided to jump ship and leave their multi multi multi multi million pound uk branch of their business behind? Doesn't seem too likely to me.
    No I don't think that in the slightest. I just said that that's the prevailing argument that I've heard.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think that in the slightest. I just said that that's the prevailing argument that I've heard.
    Yeah sorry, it was more rhetorical than aimed at you directly, apologies if it sounded confrontational.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Very little to do with the EU and more to do with the fact that each country can set its own tax rates and laws. Clever accountants and lawyers then devise ways to manipulate the rules so that they pay less tax.
    Well, the two articles that I linked that covered how the tax is avoided mentioned the EU as a major factor.

Of course, you know better, the EU is a wonderful place where all diversity, of tax systems, peoples, cultures will eventually be removed and we can all live happily together in an homogenised State. Wont it be wonderful?

(Original post by Nightwing_)
    Yeah sorry, it was more rhetorical than aimed at you directly, apologies if it sounded confrontational.
    Ah fair enough. The quote made it sound like you were actually asking!

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.