Turn on thread page Beta

Petition to declare war on ISIS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Petition to declare war on ISIS
    This petition calls on the Government to make a formal declaration of war on ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    This petition calls on the Government to make a formal declaration of war on ISIS.

Im glad this has been brought up, I was working towards something before the budget was released - the Government are in discussion over potential action.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Lime-man Thank you for tagging.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay! Please not another conflict. Have we not learn from Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan that such conflicts cost vast amounts of money and lives. In the World Wars, we had to fight because we were under direct attack but in this situation we are not. We need to step back and really question whether we would gain anything by starting yet another conflict. I do not see why we can't just the UN or NATO sort it out for once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Nay! Please not another conflict. Have we not learn from Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan that such conflicts cost vast amounts of money and lives. In the World Wars, we had to fight because we were under direct attack but in this situation we are not. We need to step back and really question whether we would gain anything by starting yet another conflict. I do not see why we can't just the UN or NATO sort it out for once.
    We're not under attack but thousands if not millions are in the middle east and we are at threat every day. Look at France, it can happen at any moment no matter how modernised we see our security services to be.

ISIS are committing acts beyond our comprehension, whilst in most cases I would support non-interventionism, it is of my personal opinion that it is just a matter of time until we need to support those being killed just for being different.

ReputationRep:
    I will not sign this because there's no point, we are technically at war with them already. The SAS, SBS, ARMY and the Royal Marines are ready there, fair enough small numbers and theres the RAF bombing the crap out of ISIS. There is no more need for an all out war as many lives will be lost and for what?? History will just repeat itself again. I don't want our soldiers dying for a meaningless cause if it will just happen again

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? I thought everyone knew the US is funding ISIS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD742)
    I will not sign this because there's no point, we are technically at war with them already. The SAS, SBS, ARMY and the Royal Marines are ready there, fair enough small numbers and theres the RAF bombing the crap out of ISIS. There is no more need for an all out war as many lives will be lost and for what?? History will just repeat itself again. I don't want our soldiers dying for a meaningless cause if it will just happen again
    The SAS are. I would doubt the SBS are yet, unless its in a training capacity. As for the army and RM, they're in Iraq mostly training troops to counter Daesh.

At present its not a war, it's a conflict. War requires official declaration between two recognised states, unless a state is formed from the conflict (eg. Irish War of Independence).

ReputationRep:
    We already are effectively at war with IS, an official declaration could just encourage jihadists and terrorists to carry out attacks on the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    At present its not a war, it's a conflict. War requires official declaration between two recognised states, unless a state is formed from the conflict (eg. Irish War of Independence).
    This is complete and utter nonsense. Declarations of war are largely obsolete, and are an anachronism in the twenty-first century. Even the UN itself did not declare war against North Korea in 1950.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.

I fully support the annexation of Syria. Arabs are not competent enough to govern themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    This is complete and utter nonsense. Declarations of war are largely obsolete, and are an anachronism in the twenty-first century. Even the UN itself did not declare war against North Korea in 1950.
    Not a fan of Jus ad Bellum?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Finally a decent petition ....Aye !! Although more detail could be added
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I'm generally a non-interventionist but I think this is inevitable. We must make sure we are prepared to put money into Syria afterwards though, to ensure they can begin to rebuild

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Not a fan of Jus ad Bellum?
    I'm not a fan of pedantic people spouting nonsense and misleading people. Jus ad bellum has nothing to do with whether war must be declared, or whether an undeclared war is called a conflict.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The petition could be much better written so for now I shall oppose it, but I shall copy and paste my views on the matter in from another thread shortly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    The petition could be much better written so for now I shall oppose it, but I shall copy and paste my views on the matter in from another thread shortly

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It was a "does exactly what it says on the tin" type thing. And besides, I'll be interested to see what they do, I understand that they have a (ex)pacifist as their defense minister.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It was a "does exactly what it says on the tin" type thing. And besides, I'll be interested to see what they do, I understand that they have a (ex)pacifist as their defense minister.
    A declaration of war doesn't necessarily change anything, I expect if it passes we will just get a response about how it isn't technically even possible to do it given the non state actors

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    A declaration of war doesn't necessarily change anything, I expect if it passes we will just get a response about how it isn't technically even possible to do it given the non state actors

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They hold territory, they have made attacks on british people, the government should make a formal declaration of war.

ReputationRep:

There is so much wrong with this.

1. ISIS is not a significant threat to the West. Worse terrorist groups of greater capability have existed for decades in times of worse domestic security. There has not actually been an ISIS-affiliated attack on British soil. Our security is much better than that of France. The two deadliest ISIS attacks on the West (Metrojet bombing and Paris attacks) killed less than one eighth of the death toll of Al-Qaeda's single deadliest attack on 9/11. So if you're going to say that we should formally declare war on ISIS, that would mean that we are insulting our actions against Al-Qaeda, al-Shabab, Boko Haram, and other terrorist groups which have done worse things. ISIS are governing in Syria, they are a terrorist group, but they are not the bloodthirsty killers in Boko Haram and al-Shabab who ruthlessly punch at a weak developing country. ISIS is a lesser threat to the west, and in comparison to other terror groups, less significant.

2. We should not get involved in the Middle East. This is a battle for the religion of Islam, Muslims in the Middle East should rise up and defend their religion, and they should themselves claim that ISIS is NOT true Islam. When it becomes a USA vs ISIS, or UK vs ISIS, or The West vs ISIS, we will NEVER EVER win that war. Vietnam proved that the West can never wipe out an army on their home soil, no matter how much firepower is used. ISIS will simply run into the mountains and conduct terror attacks as if nothing happened.

3. Assad is the bigger threat, and the source of the humanitarian crisis. Assad needs to be removed and prosecuted BEFORE ISIS, the 'Islamic State' spawned out of the chaos of the war that Assad fuelled, and there's no reason to think that ISIS would be the last extreme group, another would form after their 'defeat', even if defeating them is possible. Destroying ISIS will do nothing to stop the humanitarian crisis which is currently crippling the EU.

4. Declaring war on ISIS takes NO steps towards peace in Syria. We need to resolve the conflict peacefully and put in a government that everyone wants. Destroying ISIS will only remove them from the game, it won't get us any closer to reaching an agreement in Syria.

5. ISIS can't be defeated. While they can be removed from al-Raqqah and other cities, and have their territory reduced. They will always exist, just like Al-Qaeda who ran into the mountains. We will still experience 'Paris-style attacks' no matter how small ISIS becomes because the people who carry out these attacks are mostly foreign nationals inspired by ISIS>

6. Declaring war on ISIS is a massive propaganda victory for them. They want the west to go into an all-out conflict with them because they believe that all Muslims will rise up in defence and join them. Although this is not true, that's what they believe and they still want us to bomb them. Look at what previous ISIS hostages have said, they want this to be a 'west vs ISIS' conflict.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.