Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition to declare war on ISIS Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The terrorist apologists will be all over this (in a negative sense)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PFO 24/7)
    Iran? What conflict in Iran ought we learn from?
    The whole of the Iranian Crisis was a political and economic failure. It created a poor regime which now has control of nuclear weapons. What is good about that? We have learnt from Iran and similar conflicts that going charging in simply isn't worth the end result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    The whole of the Iranian Crisis was a political and economic failure. It created a poor regime which now has control of nuclear weapons.
    WTF? :lolwut:

You clearly have no idea wtf you are talking about...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    WTF? :lolwut:

You clearly have no idea wtf you are talking about...
    How dare you! You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Which party are you a member of?

ReputationRep:
    How dare you! You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Which party are you a member of?
    I am incredibly well-versed on Iran and Iranian politics. Firstly, I have no idea what you are referring to by 'the Iranian Crisis' (??). Secondly, you stated that Iran "now has control of nuclear weapons", which is not only not true, but shows your complete ignorance of the subject (see: JCPOA).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I am incredibly well-versed on Iran and Iranian politics. Firstly, I have no idea what you are referring to by 'the Iranian Crisis' (??). Secondly, you stated that Iran "now has control of nuclear weapons", which is not only not true, but shows your complete ignorance of the subject (see: JCPOA).
    To be quite honest, I'm not sure you do know what you are talking about. By the Iranian Crisis, I am referring to the Iranian Revolution of 1979. The Pahlavi Dynasty under Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, who was supported by the United States and several other Western powers, was overthrown. Iran signed a deal six years ago promising not to use nuclear weapons. This does not mean that it no longer has any. Also, you have not answered my question on which party you are from?

ReputationRep:
    To be quite honest, I'm not sure you do know what you are talking about.
    Oh dear, oh dear. Let's find out.

By the Iranian Crisis, I am referring to the Iranian Revolution of 1979.
    Right. Except the Revolution is never called 'the Iranian Crisis' (the capitalised 'c' betraying your supposed knowledge of the situation).

The Pahlavi Dynasty under Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, who was supported by the United States and several other Western powers, was overthrown.
    Yes...

Iran signed a deal six years ago promising not to use nuclear weapons.
    What 2010 deal are you referring to? I do not recall such a deal...

This does not mean that it no longer has any.
    Erm, Iran has never had nuclear weapons.

You stated that Iran "now has control of nuclear weapons" - can you provide one iota of evidence for this? Any source. The BBC or a similarly reputable source would be preferred, but I'd take any reasonably reputable source.

Hint: you won't be able to. Because Iran is not "in control of nuclear weapons" and never has been. :facepalm:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    If the government makes a formal declaration of war it puts gets them to actually take some action, which is something they haven't done on this particular issue. What specific action they take is completely up to them though, as they're the government.
    It does not make them take any action. Legality aside, do you think of we arbitrarily declared war on Uzbekistan anything would change?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, oh dear. Let's find out.

Right. Except the Revolution is never called 'the Iranian Crisis' (the capitalised 'c' betraying your supposed knowledge of the situation).

Yes...

What 2010 deal are you referring to? I do not recall such

Hint: you won't be able to. Because Iran is not "in control of nuclear weapons" and never has been. :facepalm:
    Here is a link for you to look at...http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...il-turkey-deal. To be quite honest, I can't be bothered to waste any more time on you. Besides, you still have failed to tell me what party you belong to.

ReputationRep:
    Here is a link for you to look at...http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...il-turkey-deal. To be quite honest, I can't be bothered to waste any more time on you. Besides, you still have failed to tell me what party you belong to.
    Iran's nuclear programme is not them actually possessing nukes, it's their development program. They are yet to build nuclear weapons. You are the wrong one.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wellzi)
    Iran's nuclear programme is not them actually possessing nukes, it's their development program. They are yet to build nuclear weapons. You are the wrong one.
    Sorry who are you???

ReputationRep:
    Sorry who are you???
    He is a bloke, like me, telling you what the world knows after UN inspections which were part of recent negotiations: Iran has no nuclear weapons. If it did, Israel would have launched a bombing raid to destroy them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy1boy)
    There is no reason not to support it. All it does is reinforce our stance against ISIS.
    There are many reasons! It would increase the chance of domestic radicalization by an alarming rate, it would also further legitimize controversial governmental actions which could have high rates of civilian casualties. Given that there are so few long term solutions for Syria and relating countries, declaring war would just solidify military actions and disregard political and economic solutions further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    It would increase the chance of domestic radicalization by an alarming rate.
    You have been listening to too many Islamic and terrorist apologists. I presume you have proof for what you say.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    If the government makes a formal declaration of war it puts gets them to actually take some action, which is something they haven't done on this particular issue. What specific action they take is completely up to them though, as they're the government.
    More pressure on military actions, those with less long term solutions.

It would be far more beneficial to allow great international agreement and seek more actions which lay less waste to civilian land and more damage to the economic and functional heart of ISIS. Although easier said then done, by declaring war you would have many different goals to other countries, this could only complicate things in the future when ends are in sight.

I agree action needs to be taken, just the route to putting greater pressure on it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    He is a bloke, like me, telling you what the world knows after UN inspections which were part of recent negotiations: Iran has no nuclear weapons. If it did, Israel would have launched a bombing raid to destroy them.
    Whatever you say...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You have been listening to too many Islamic and terrorist apologists. I presume you have proof for what you say.
    I was talking to a professor of Law at a Holocaust Memorial day memorial. In addition to this I did read an interesting article - I'll try and find it.

ReputationRep:
    Pointless formality imo
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you say...
    They have a point. Israel would never stand by and let Iran have nuclear weapons. If it got to a point where there's sufficient evidence that Iran possessed nukes, Israel, and probably the US, would long have bombed the hell out of the country.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you say...
    No. The UN says it, not me:

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/iran

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.