iluvminieggs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have to decide my gcse subjects soon and im really struggling.
The compulsory are; english maths and religion. I want to do double science, french, business studies and ad maths, and either art or music. In art i got 92% in my exam. in music i got 82% in my listening exam but 78% overall. i am starting grade 4 at piano.
I like both subjects equally but i can only choose one of them due to having double science. I think that art would be very time consuming and im a very lazy person but i get higher marks in exams.
If you replied i would be really thankful. 😊
iluvminieggs
Rep:
?
this website confuses me
Pix2015
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you are a lazy person then I would pick music. I did GCSE art and the key on getting an A is detail detail and more detail. So yes very time consuming. I never did music so I can't compare. I'm a very stressed person so my priority wasn't art but the important subjects and some how I managed to get a B. So if you do take art I would suggest having a time schedule for when you do it. People who did that in my class got the best grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
leopard923
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iluvminieggs)
I have to decide my gcse subjects soon and im really struggling.
The compulsory are; english maths and religion. I want to do double science, french, business studies and ad maths, and either art or music. In art i got 92% in my exam. in music i got 82% in my listening exam but 78% overall. i am starting grade 4 at piano.
I like both subjects equally but i can only choose one of them due to having double science. I think that art would be very time consuming and im a very lazy person but i get higher marks in exams.
If you replied i would be really thankful. 😊
I do GCSE art at the moment and I know someone who does GCSE music. Firstly GCSE music is probably not what everyone thinks it is, from what I know, there is a lot to learn in it from musical vocab and the lives of composers such as Mozart and Glass. Performance is one section which your piano will be helpful but theory is also a section which is quite tricky. As for art, I love it, but as with what others have already said, it is very time consuming. I am spending my half term catching up on art work before my deadline and I had to go into school. The good side is there isn't anything to revise (that is for my exam board anyway). If you love art and you are determined enough not to fall behind, then I would suggest you choose it. However, if you love playing music (like everyday) and you are prepared to do the slightly more boring aspects of it, then choose music. If you are lazy, maybe music might be better, but when I was in year 9, I was super lazy but now art has actually made me more organised! If you want more info, look up the exam board you will do and see which list of topics sounds more interesting to you. Good Luck!
iluvminieggs
Rep:
?
(Original post by leopard923)
I do GCSE art at the moment and I know someone who does GCSE music. Firstly GCSE music is probably not what everyone thinks it is, from what I know, there is a lot to learn in it from musical vocab and the lives of composers such as Mozart and Glass. Performance is one section which your piano will be helpful but theory is also a section which is quite tricky. As for art, I love it, but as with what others have already said, it is very time consuming. I am spending my half term catching up on art work before my deadline and I had to go into school. The good side is there isn't anything to revise (that is for my exam board anyway). If you love art and you are determined enough not to fall behind, then I would suggest you choose it. However, if you love playing music (like everyday) and you are prepared to do the slightly more boring aspects of it, then choose music. If you are lazy, maybe music might be better, but when I was in year 9, I was super lazy but now art has actually made me more organised! If you want more info, look up the exam board you will do and see which list of topics sounds more interesting to you. Good Luck!
Well I am doing grade 3 in music theory which will probably come in handy, and i practise piano everyday so I think I will be alright
leopard923
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by iluvminieggs)
Well I am doing grade 3 in music theory which will probably come in handy, and i practise piano everyday so I think I will be alright
Then music should be a good option for you!
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Art is LONG and not worth it, especially when you're up at 3am the day before your art exam trying to finish up your sketchbook. And then only getting a high A for all that effort is a little annoying (but it's satisfying at the same time because you were expecting a B)

I would say it depends on how good you are when it comes to time management. I think the people who did very well in my class really enjoyed art, like they drew in their free time, so it was less of a chore for them.
kreed7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
GCSE (I do Edexcel) music is alright; I felt that I would struggle with the composition element, but the briefs we were given definitely helped, as they narrowed what you had to do. However, grade boundaries are pretty tight which can be annoying. Performance wise, Grade 4 pieces and above are considered "more difficult", and so your raw performance mark will be moved up a certain amount of marks (if it is Grade 3, the raw mark will remain the same, and Grade 2 and below will be moved down). To be honest, as long as you''ve put in enough preparation, it will be absolutely fine.

When it came to the written exam, I would say that you definitely need a good memory - eight elements of music for 12 set works need to be remembered. On the other hand, the essay in the written exam is pretty easy - you only need to comment about 2 sentences for each element of music. And there's hardly any contextual information about the composers etc that you need to know!

Music seems to take considerably less time than art, judging by my friends who are in the art rooms every lunch! But I do think a good memory and knowledge of music theory is definitely helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.52%
No I haven't decided yet (57)
22.62%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise