Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My eyes hurt after staring into a barcode scanner's beam, is this serious ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was at a local petrol garage tonight and there was a bunch of kids being served in front of me and taking a very long time, perhaps 5 minutes, think they knew the woman behind counter and kept talking for ages to her.

While waiting in the que my eyes kept darting into the path of an extremely bright barcode scanner, it was very bright with many beams bouncing out of it and flickering very brightly, I was basically stood in line with it and kept looking into it several times, maybe even for 10 seconds at one point.

I notice most barcode scanners these days are much brighter than they used to be, much more aggressive looking, is it because barcodes are security devices too and need a strong laser to deactivate them to stop alarms going off ?

Anyway a few minutes after leaving the petrol station garage I feel my eyes hurt a fair bit and feel sore, still feel quite sore now.

Could it be related to the barcode scanners and how can I make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon ?

thanks

I want to answer the question with a question so..

Why have you been staring at scanner light? You know, you could have just turned around or actually tell the employee to place the scanner in the right position.

At the moment, don't strain your eyes. It should pass after a couple of hours.

By the way, scanners are designed to be safe for eyes but you never know. If the problem persists, I would advise you to visit eye doctor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Impressive)
    I want to answer the question with a question so..

Why have you been staring at scanner light? You know, you could have just turned around or actually tell the employee to place the scanner in the right position.

At the moment, don't strain your eyes. It should pass after a couple of hours.

By the way, scanners are designed to be safe for eyes but you never know. If the problem persists, I would advise you to visit eye doctor.

do all shops have barcodes that set off alarms if nt scanned ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love life)
    do all shops have barcodes that set off alarms if nt scanned ?
    You seem quite intent on finding out the answer to this. My advice would be don't shoplift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    You seem quite intent on finding out the answer to this. My advice would be don't shoplift.
    well apparently the answer is yes, barcodes set off alarms if not scanned
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Never look directly at a barcode scanner, it might just cost you :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    If it has destroyed your eyes, look on the bright side (pun): At least you'll be able to pay for the new eyes, now they're scanned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    That's really scraping the barrel for a pun.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    That's really scraping the barrel for a pun.
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    If it has destroyed your eyes, look on the bright side (pun): At least you'll be able to pay for the new eyes, now they're scanned!
    You terrible people!

ReputationRep:
    What?
    On that note, that's not even how bar code scanners (mainly) work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    What?
    On that note, that's not even how bar code scanners (mainly) work.
    what do you mean by '' that's not even how barcode scanners mainly work ?

ReputationRep:
    I notice most barcode scanners these days are much brighter than they used to be, much more aggressive looking, is it because barcodes are security devices too and need a strong laser to deactivate them to stop alarms going off ?

Anyway a few minutes after leaving the petrol station garage I feel my eyes hurt a fair bit and feel sore, still feel quite sore now.

Could it be related to the barcode scanners and how can I make sure it doesn't happen again anytime soon ?

thanks
    Not all bar codes are tagged. For cheap items, this'd be the case 'cos it's more wasteful.

Any tags will still have to be removed at the counter so the alarm doesn't go off.

At e.g. self-service, the bar code will tell the machine the product, and the weight, so people can't put down extra stuff and steal like that as well.

ReputationRep:
    Not all bar codes are tagged. For cheap items, this'd be the case 'cos it's more wasteful.

Any tags will still have to be removed at the counter so the alarm doesn't go off.

At e.g. self-service, the bar code will tell the machine the product, and the weight, so people can't put down extra stuff and steal like that as well.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks
    np

ReputationRep:
    np
    thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.