Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Btec Misconceptions (I need to have this answered ASAP!) watch

ReputationRep:
    In order to do an extended diploma for Btec Level 3, do I have to complete the subsidiary diploma in order to advance on to the extended diploma or do I do the extended diploma from the start?

How many Btec level 3 courses am I meant to do? 1,2,3,4? Not exactly sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INeedHelpAsap69)
    In order to do an extended diploma for Btec Level 3, do I have to complete the subsidiary diploma in order to advance on to the extended diploma or do I do the extended diploma from the start?

If it's a extended diploma, thats only 1 btec course you do ir gives you the equivalent of 3 A levels. If you have 5 A*-C Gcses including maths and English you dont have to complete the subsidiary diploma. Im about 90% sure, not done btecs myself but know alot of people who do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The work required for a subsid diploma will be contained within the Extended diploma (the first third, though you don't necessary do it all in order) but you don't have to claim the grade along the way.

Level 3 BTECs come in several sizes:
    Certificate - AS size
    Subsid Diploma - A size
    90 credit diploma 1.5 A level size
    Diploma - 2 A level size
    Extended diploma - 3 A level size.

If you are a full time student then the normal thing to do would be 3 A levels worth of stuff, so an extended diploma, or a diploma and an A level etc.

Exactly what qualifications you need to get on to any of these courses and what they make you do along the way (e.g. complete the subsid diploma at the end of Year 12) is entirely up to your college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    The work required for a subsid diploma will be contained within the Extended diploma (the first third, though you don't necessary do it all in order) but you don't have to claim the grade along the way.

Level 3 BTECs come in several sizes:
    Certificate - AS size
    Subsid Diploma - A size
    90 credit diploma 1.5 A level size
    Diploma - 2 A level size
    Extended diploma - 3 A level size.

If you are a full time student then the normal thing to do would be 3 A levels worth of stuff, so an extended diploma, or a diploma and an A level etc.

Exactly what qualifications you need to get on to any of these courses and what they make you do along the way (e.g. complete the subsid diploma at the end of Year 12) is entirely up to your college.

So in order to do the extended diploma, I would need to have done the subsidiary diploma first?
    Sorry for late reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jad3s3yh4030)
    If it's a extended diploma, thats only 1 btec course you do ir gives you the equivalent of 3 A levels. If you have 5 A*-C Gcses including maths and English you dont have to complete the subsidiary diploma. Im about 90% sure, not done btecs myself but know alot of people who do

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not quite sure what you mean... Can you please rephrase?
    By the way, here is the course I want to do. http://www.cwc.ac.uk/Courses/Pages/AB3A1.aspx
    When I click apply, the website converts the course from an extended diploma to an subsidiary diploma.
    I don't understand this at all...

ReputationRep:
    So in order to do the extended diploma, I would need to have done the subsidiary diploma first?
    Sorry for late reply
    I don't think so - you'll do it while you're doing the extended diploma. However, the college may make completing the subsid diploma a requirement before they let you carry on to the extended diploma, so you sign up for that first and if it goes well you carry on and complete the whole extended diploma. Ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Certificate = 30 credits
    Subsidiary Diploma = 60 credits
    90-cred Diploma = 90 credits
    Diploma = 120 credits
    Extended Diploma = 180 credits

you pick one and do the required amount of credits for that one, so for example if you enrol on an Extended Diploma it will usually be 2 years where you complete 90 credits in each of the 2 years, thus totalling 180 credits

If you enrolled on a subsidiary diploma you would do 30 in each year but you would have to do other qualifications alonside the Subsidiary as it is only worth one A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    Certificate = 30 credits
    Subsidiary Diploma = 60 credits
    90-cred Diploma = 90 credits
    Diploma = 120 credits
    Extended Diploma = 180 credits

you pick one and do the required amount of credits for that one, so for example if you enrol on an Extended Diploma it will usually be 2 years where you complete 90 credits in each of the 2 years, thus totalling 180 credits

If you enrolled on a subsidiary diploma you would do 30 in each year but you would have to do other qualifications alonside the Subsidiary as it is only worth one A level.
    I don't get what you're trying to say.

How do you obtain credits?
    Oh, and if you haven't clicked on the link I gave to jad3s3yh4030 it states:

For the Extended Diploma: Students would need to have gained a Level two qualification preferably in Business at least a Distinction grade or Six GCSE’s at grade C including Maths and English.

For the Subsidiary Diploma: Students would need to have gained a Level two qualification preferably in Business at least a Merit or at least 5 GCSE’s at grade C including English.

Is it possible for you to explain this, please?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get what you're trying to say.

How do you obtain credits?
    Oh, and if you haven't clicked on the link I gave to jad3s3yh4030 it states:

For the Extended Diploma: Students would need to have gained a Level two qualification preferably in Business at least a Distinction grade or Six GCSE’s at grade C including Maths and English.

For the Subsidiary Diploma: Students would need to have gained a Level two qualification preferably in Business at least a Merit or at least 5 GCSE’s at grade C including English.

Is it possible for you to explain this, please?
    You get credits by completing units, each unit has a credit value that you accumulate throughout the course

For a subsid diploma you have to do 60 credits so for example this could be completing 6 x 10 credit units

Same applies for the extended diplom except you need to complete 180 credits

The way that i interpret the website is that in your first year you will do the subsid diploma and then you will do the remaining credits to essentially top up the subsid diploma making it an extended diploma

Si basically you will recieve a qualification for the first year and then you will do the remaining credits to make it the full qualification

Understand?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.