Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Diet help. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so, I'm not extremely overweight but I do have some excess fat on my body so I recently started going to the gym, looking to lose 10-15kg and get down to ~14-15% body fat.
    Obviously to get a better body but also to improve my lifestyle and health.

I've done a bit of research and have gathered that diet is just as important, if not more important than going to the gym.
    Could someone very specifically guide me on what my diet should consist of? There are plenty of articles online titled "The ULTIMATE Weight Loss Diet!!!" but a lot of them aren't as helpful as they promise them to be.

Emphasis on very specifically as when it comes to diet I'm totally lost.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Right so, I'm not extremely overweight but I do have some excess fat on my body so I recently started going to the gym, looking to lose 10-15kg and get down to ~14-15% body fat.

I've done a bit of research and have gathered that diet is just as important, if not more important than going to the gym.
    Could someone very specifically guide me on what my diet should consist of? There are plenty of articles online titled "The ULTIMATE Weight Loss Diet!!!" but a lot of them aren't as helpful as they promise them to be.

Thanks
    Diet is the most important factor in terms of weight loss.

Calorie deficit is important.

10kg-15kg is a lot of weight to lose. It could take about 15 weeks if your diet is on point, but will most likely take longer. So aim for 1kg of fat loss a week, but remember weight loss fluctuates and initially you might even gain weight for a few weeks.

The key here is consistency. Try not to look in the mirror, it will play tricks on you.

Google IIFYM calculator and proceed with the macros it gives you. Base your diet around these macros (protein, fat, carbs, fiber).

Go to the gym. Lift free weighs. Lift Dumbells. Lift something. Go running. Play sports. Be active.

Eat lots of green veg like broc and spinach. Minimally steamed or raw if you can. Try and eat whole foods.

Read the FAQ in the fitness section.

Then one day, in the not so distant future, you'll look in the mirror and you'll look different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Many thanks I've just checked out the FAQ page and have a lot of reading to do.

As for how long it'll take, it really doesn't bother me so long as I'm happy with the end product :yy:

ReputationRep:
    i just follow the youtubers and get alot of info from them
    https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...Cfz6PjxbONYXSg
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnP...JYG7BnH42PC9qw
    these r the ones i love watching them

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I'd really add is it's often easier to make incremental changes. Start recording what you eat, identify an area where you could improve, sort it out then do the next. Going for a totally new diet overnight is challenging on a practical level and I tend to feel less hungry when I increase/decrease my calories more gradually if I have more than a few 100kcal to do it by. If you make it easier for yourself you are more likely to succeed long term and the long term is what matters, even if it means it takes you a month now to sort your diet out.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i just follow the youtubers and get alot of info from them
    https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...Cfz6PjxbONYXSg
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnP...JYG7BnH42PC9qw
    these r the ones i love watching them
    None of them are worth your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)

Thanks
    I am currently on a diet called the cave man diet consists of not eating carbs but once a month i do so my body doesnt reject them intirely im only 17 not over weight as well but feel i need to lose some here and there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scnotcrazy)
    I am currently on a diet called the cave man diet consists of not eating carbs but once a month i do so my body doesnt reject them intirely im only 17 not over weight as well but feel i need to lose some here and there
    Erm...

ReputationRep:
    See even if you just eat food that is very healthy and low calories with no sugar products that also helps me too
    • Very Important Poster

Its calorie deficit. Get some kicthen scales and weigh your food. Its the most importnat piece of equipment. Unless you manage portion control then you arent going anywhere. the next bit is consistency.

You need to know a bit about nutrition, but i found 5 fruit and veg a day plys my protein of 75-100g a day and some fibre.
    Weights increase the fat loss ratio by preserving muscle.
    Cardio increases your heart and lin efficiency and burns calories faster, but you still have to do loads of exercise to burn many. an hour a day of contnuous cardio would get you about 1lb loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    None of them are worth your time
    why
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    why
    They're in it to sell you stuff; from fad diets to fad workout plans for the most part. There's much better sources of info. Sure a 5 minute workout will make you feel better; but it wont do anything for you
    • Very Important Poster

why
    Much better imo to really get the basics right and understand them.

Eat less than you need and you lose weight over time, it is that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    They're in it to sell you stuff; from fad diets to fad workout plans for the most part. There's much better sources of info. Sure a 5 minute workout will make you feel better; but it wont do anything for you
    they all are realistic and they all helped me a lot
    you can do 5 min of workout along with other exercises like cardio- that 5 min of workout mainly targets a part of your body

ReputationRep:
    I suggest trying to alter your diet in little chunks. Take it month by month.
    First start cutting out things that are bad: replace carbonated drinks with water, stop snacking, stop eating so many fatty things.
    Then start changing: if you need to snack, swap it for something healthier. Make sure the nutritional value of the foods you eat is good.
    Then finally, add: add more veggies and fruits, 2L water a day, vitamins etc.

I find meal prepping is hard work but worth it, as it stops me slacking. But set yourself realistic goals, whatever you do. I'm having a pizza tonight for dinner and that is totally okay, because I balanced it with a salad at lunch. It's about the bigger picture and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. After all, this shouldn't just be a diet, it should be the beginning of a life change.
    • Very Important Poster

Acrually the way to approach it is to understand yourself and design a method of calorie reduction that you know uoi can sustain. I found it a bit boring, but I was commited. Learn as mych as you cna about that and exercise. Consistency is the only way you do it. hardcore - boredom- binge- hardcore boredom - binge doesnt work. Slow and steady does towards a lifestyle change. People dont like the idea byt if you will exercise you cna burn more calories which means you cna eat more calories.

I will say it again though. Kitchen scales and start managing portion control by weighing and logging your food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scnotcrazy)
    You need carbs- your body runs off carbs. If you don't eat carbs you're likely to lack energy/feel dissatisfied causing cravings for fatty/junk foods.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.