Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 4 miles in just under 30 minutes a good pace? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been running for about 3 and a half years with a couple of months on and off through injuries and travelling etc. I've started running and exercising regularly again since new year but before that hadn't ran for about 1 and a half/2 months and in the 4/5 months proceeding this I had only done a handful of runs due to travelling. As I say since new year I've been running about 3/4 miles every other day and doing pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups etc on the others, with a rest day on Sundays. I hadn't really been measuring my times as I was just looking to get my fitness back but today I measured it and I did exactly 4 miles in 29:35. Is this a good time considering my training regime and length I've been doing it or should I be much faster by now?

Bit of extra info, I'm 5ft10 and weight 137lbs.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its a pretty good time, under 7:30 per mile pace...the vast majority of people in their 20s couldn't do that. If you are in your 20s however, i do feel that with training properly you could go WAY faster, more like under 25-26 mins or even better as your BMI is pretty good! Try different training routines and mix up your training. If you run 3-4 days a week, perhaps 1 day do a interval workout (e.g. 800m x 6 , with a 2 min rest in between each set) because for 4 miles you do need speed. and 1 day you could do a tempo run, which is 85% of your maximum effort designed to increase your lactic threshold. However its vital to not do too many hard workouts as you could "burn out". So yeah.....theres a lot of room for improvement, just stay consistent and i strongly feel that you could smash a sub 26!
    Btw i"m 18 and have ran at national level and what i have felt is the biggest factor for improvement is consistency. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic1997)
    Yeah its a pretty good time, under 7:30 per mile pace...the vast majority of people in their 20s couldn't do that. If you are in your 20s however, i do feel that with training properly you could go WAY faster, more like under 25-26 mins or even better as your BMI is pretty good! Try different training routines and mix up your training. If you run 3-4 days a week, perhaps 1 day do a interval workout (e.g. 800m x 6 , with a 2 min rest in between each set) because for 4 miles you do need speed. and 1 day you could do a tempo run, which is 85% of your maximum effort designed to increase your lactic threshold. However its vital to not do too many hard workouts as you could "burn out". So yeah.....theres a lot of room for improvement, just stay consistent and i strongly feel that you could smash a sub 26!
    Btw i"m 18 and have ran at national level and what i have felt is the biggest factor for improvement is consistency. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the reply and advice. And I'm 26, 27 in July

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siman89)
    Thanks for the reply and advice. And I'm 26, 27 in July
    No problem, and you are very young.....you have a lot of improvement ahead of you. Btw as for the injuries that you once had, try cycling if you have started to develop and overuse injury perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    No problem, and you are very young.....you have a lot of improvement ahead of you. Btw as for the injuries that you once had, try cycling if you have started to develop and overuse injury perhaps?
    Cheers for that. I've also started doing squats and other leg exercises as I apparently have a genetically weak patella. Just out of curiosity what's your PB for 4 miles?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siman89)
    Cheers for that. I've also started doing squats and other leg exercises as I apparently have a genetically weak patella. Just out of curiosity what's your PB for 4 miles?
    Good idea! And I've never actually done a 4 mile time trial but I've done 5k in 17:48 when i was 15 (and haven't got better since then)...so i imagine it'll be around 23-24 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    I did the same back when I first started gym. I managed to go from 2 miles in 21 mins to 2 miles in 14:23 after
    3-3.5 months though eventually I got bored of hit and began my weightlifting journey

ReputationRep:
    Good idea! And I've never actually done a 4 mile time trial but I've done 5k in 17:48 when i was 15 (and haven't got better since then)...so i imagine it'll be around 23-24 minutes.
    That's incredible. I think I'd have a heart attack if I tried to match that pace. It exposes a lot of ********ters on other forums as well. I've seen people claim things like they've just started running and did 4 miles in 20/21 minutes, which unless they're incredible natural athletes has got to be complete *******s. Either that or they're drastically underestimating how far a mile is or confusing miles for kilometres.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.