Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just found out where I've been allocated. This would've been just about my last choice. Ironically enough, Durham is my top choice. Is there any way to attend the university without having to go to a college, or without having to fork out all the cash? And please, no lectures about how I'll like it once I'm there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4170sre)
    I just found out where I've been allocated. This would've been just about my last choice. Ironically enough, Durham is my top choice. Is there any way to attend the university without having to go to a college, or without having to fork out all the cash? And please, no lectures about how I'll like it once I'm there.
    You are under no obligation to live in college, although the majority of freshers do. You could get a flat, try overheard at durham on Facebook if you are on there, there are normally people trying to fill spare rooms in flats. You do, however, have to be affiliated with a college.

If there is a strong medical or pastoral reason for you to change college then it is sometimes possible, however thats likely to be very extreme circumstances. I also know people who were allocated different colleges because they just missed an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elegantsolution)
    You are under no obligation to live in college, although the majority of freshers do. You could get a flat, try overheard at durham on Facebook if you are on there, there are normally people trying to fill spare rooms in flats. You do, however, have to be affiliated with a college.

If there is a strong medical or pastoral reason for you to change college then it is sometimes possible, however thats likely to be very extreme circumstances. I also know people who were allocated different colleges because they just missed an offer.
    Thank you, if I decide not to live in college then can I assume I won't have to pay accommodation/catering fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4170sre)
    Thank you, if I decide not to live in college then can I assume I won't have to pay accommodation/catering fees?
    No, you won't have to pay any of that. You might have to pay a small fee for college facilities but that varies college to college. You'll also have to pay livers out fees for formal if you go but it's not usually that much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.