Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing OCR AS Biology and I'm struggling to get grades higher than B's and C's.

I spend a lot of time going over my notes and writing them from memory, but I find in exams I lose lots of marks.

Does anyone have any tips that helped them get an A for AS Biology, having already done the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Whilst it's important to know the content for biology in order to be able to interpret exam questions and know the sort of information they're after, it's just as important to do past paper and then not just mark them, but write down the correct answer given on the mark scheme next to your own and to analyse the mark scheme. You will begin to see patterns on how they want you to answer certain questions; key words, phrases etc. I'm on AQA but I'm pretty sure this is true for exams as a whole, not just biology.

ReputationRep:
    For Biology I would recommend using the official textbook for your exam board and the CGP revision guide for your specific exam board because that should cover all the information you will need. Using these two books make thorough notes using posters, mind maps, cue cards etc. whatever suits you. An effective revision method for me personally is listening to audio clips or bite size revision videos. After making your notes, you need to make sure that you know all the information off by heart. You can do this by discussing topics with your friends, writing down notes again and again or covering your notes and saying it out aloud. Once you know all the information by heart, you can then move onto the past papers where you will have to apply your knowledge. After doing past papers, go back to the questions that you got wrong and memorise the answers from the mark scheme for the questions you got wrong. Also for the questions got wrong go back memorise topics that you are struggling on and attempt the questions again. Keep repeating this process until you are getting over 90% in your past papers. Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.